Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Community Member Thorboar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    491

    Default Returning player: 12/7/1 Rgr/rog/mnk to a ????

    Well I'm returning to the game after a 2 year break and of course a lot has changed. I know now how it feels to be totally overwhelmed after returning after a long break. Before I would take small breaks but at least I kept up with what was going on. Anyway..I have a 12/7/1 ranger/rogue/monk and 3 epic levels...I have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood and have been planning on making some changes....I'm thinking 18/1/1 ranger/rogue/fighter..Are there any other builds I should consider? I would like to stay human and strength based. He is loaded up on the usual greensteel items and weapons (min II, Lightning II, etc) along with decent gear but probably outdated.I will be a very casual player and mostly running solo with an occasional group....
    Daigar Visogoth 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Monk (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

  2. #2
    Community Member Thorboar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Kinda like this Trap Monkey build...https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players
    Daigar Visogoth 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Monk (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

  3. #3
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Have you actually tried playing this character since returning? rgr 12 / rog 7 / monk 1 might not be ideal, but it should still be a solid mix of TWF & ranged DPS with trap skills & Evasion; plus you ought to have access to Rejuv Cocoon, presuming you started in Primal ED.

  4. #4
    Community Member Thorboar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Yea that may be a good idea...but I need to wait 3 days to reset my enhancements....
    Daigar Visogoth 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Monk (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

  5. #5
    2016 DDO Players Council Hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hell.
    Posts
    4,236

    Default

    dont think you need to wait anymore. not with new enhancment pass


    hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

  6. #6
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Yeah, they got rid of the 3-day timer; you don't even need to talk to one of your class trainers. Just click the reset button within the Enhancement screen; you can either reset trees individually or reset the whole thing. It does cost plat, which goes up the more APs you're resetting and each time you do it (which decays over time).

  7. #7
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorboar View Post
    Well I'm returning to the game after a 2 year break and of course a lot has changed. I know now how it feels to be totally overwhelmed after returning after a long break. Before I would take small breaks but at least I kept up with what was going on. Anyway..I have a 12/7/1 ranger/rogue/monk and 3 epic levels...I have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood and have been planning on making some changes....I'm thinking 18/1/1 ranger/rogue/fighter..Are there any other builds I should consider? I would like to stay human and strength based. He is loaded up on the usual greensteel items and weapons (min II, Lightning II, etc) along with decent gear but probably outdated.I will be a very casual player and mostly running solo with an occasional group....
    There are better weapon now then GS. Look in to getting 2 Balizardes, and 2 Celestias. Those are the Raid Items but for easier (AH, Low grind) you can look at assuming Khopesh GS: Deathnips, Elemental Fury, and Drow Khopesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Have you actually tried playing this character since returning? rgr 12 / rog 7 / monk 1 might not be ideal, but it should still be a solid mix of TWF & ranged DPS with trap skills & Evasion; plus you ought to have access to Rejuv Cocoon, presuming you started in Primal ED.
    Agreed, I would prefer 15/3/2 RNG/ROG/MNK to 12/7/1 though

    If they are fixing multiple the haste boost thing then I don't feel 1 Fighter is any better then 1 Monk

    On a 12/7/1 I would put all 15 points in to Assassin (+3d6 SA, +1d8 Venomed Blades), 3 in Ninja (+1d6 SA), 21 in Deepwood (+4d6 SA), 24 in Tempest (100% off hand proc, +4 hit/damage, 30% Haste Boost)

    Comes out to 11d6 Sneak attack with 100% Offhand procs that's not to shabby, its half of what a Rogue has.

  8. #8
    Community Member Thorboar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    There are better weapon now then GS. Look in to getting 2 Balizardes, and 2 Celestias. Those are the Raid Items but for easier (AH, Low grind) you can look at assuming Khopesh GS: Deathnips, Elemental Fury, and Drow Khopesh.Agreed, I would prefer 15/3/2 RNG/ROG/MNK to 12/7/1 thoughIf they are fixing multiple the haste boost thing then I don't feel 1 Fighter is any better then 1 MonkOn a 12/7/1 I would put all 15 points in to Assassin (+3d6 SA, +1d8 Venomed Blades), 3 in Ninja (+1d6 SA), 21 in Deepwood (+4d6 SA), 24 in Tempest (100% off hand proc, +4 hit/damage, 30% Haste Boost)Comes out to 11d6 Sneak attack with 100% Offhand procs that's not to shabby, its half of what a Rogue has.
    As far as the enhancements, this is what I ended up doing....this way I can re-familiarize myself with the game before I blow the heart of wood +20...Thanks all for the replies, glad to be back....
    Daigar Visogoth 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Monk (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

  9. #9
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    If they are fixing multiple the haste boost thing then I don't feel 1 Fighter is any better then 1 Monk
    Ftr 1 still gets you Extra Action Boost, which will still be important for someone who loves their extra clickies.
    On a 12/7/1 I would put all 15 points in to Assassin (+3d6 SA, +1d8 Venomed Blades), 3 in Ninja (+1d6 SA), 21 in Deepwood (+4d6 SA), 24 in Tempest (100% off hand proc, +4 hit/damage, 30% Haste Boost)
    I would put at least a few APs into AA for EotW and one of the imbues.

  10. #10
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Ftr 1 still gets you Extra Action Boost, which will still be important for someone who loves their extra clickies.

    I would put at least a few APs into AA for EotW and one of the imbues.
    IMO with out the multiple haste boosts Fighter isn't the clear winner its a fair toss up between it and Monk but yes both have merits there's no clear winner.

    There's 17 points left which I would dump all in human for 30% Hamp but if you only go 20% Hamp there's enough to get some of the low hanging AA stuff.

    All about personal style on those two.
    Last edited by Grailhawk; 02-14-2014 at 12:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Community Member Willan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Get Knife Mastery from the top of the assassin tree. It turns all daggers into 15-20x3. Use a couple Sacrificial Daggers until you farm better Cormyrian or Agonies.

  12. #12
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    IMO with out the multiple haste boosts Fighter isn't the clear winner its a fair toss up between it and Monk but yes both have merits there's no clear winner.

    There's 17 points left which I would dump all in human for 30% Hamp but if you only go 20% Hamp there's enough to get some of the low hanging AA stuff.

    All about personal style on those two.
    - 3 more action boosts
    - +2 to-hit (meh) + 1 Damage
    - the ability to have Haste and Sprint Boost at the same time

    Versus some Dodge and Sneak attack.

    I've played both 18/1/1s (fighter, and monk) extensively post ENH pass. Fighter is better even without the 26 Hastes boosts we can get now.

  13. #13
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    There's 17 points left which I would dump all in human for 30% Hamp but if you only go 20% Hamp there's enough to get some of the low hanging AA stuff.
    30% amp is too expensive for most builds, IMHO, unless maybe you're also going for Gtr Heroism clickie and/or have a Dragonmark. Sometimes I don't go beyond 10% amp because I find the human tree pretty meh as a whole; rather spend those APs elsewhere. As you say, though, it's all about personal priorities.

  14. #14
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    30% amp is too expensive for most builds, IMHO, unless maybe you're also going for Gtr Heroism clickie and/or have a Dragonmark. Sometimes I don't go beyond 10% amp because I find the human tree pretty meh as a whole; rather spend those APs elsewhere. As you say, though, it's all about personal priorities.
    I like CSW to heal for 300-400, I wouldn't bother with the GH click you can scroll it same goes for teleport form the DM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload