First of all, I'm a returning player from 2009, so there's at least one issue from back then that hasn't changed. More on this below.
Second, the PC I was playing DDO on in '09 contained the following:
1. Single-core Pentium 4 CPU.
2. A much, MUCH lesser GPU than I have now.
3. Much less memory, running at significantly lower clock speeds.
My current PC has the following:
Core i7 950 @ ~3.07GHz
EVGA GTX570 Fermi
6GB G.Skill memory @ 800MHz - 6:8:6:20 timings.
And for whatever reason, DDO likes to lag horribly. The two main issues are this:
1. When logging on to a character, it takes a while for the game to load everything. (ie: UI placement, I'm unable to move my character until it's done, etc.) This takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to finish. I'm used to this from back in '09, and don't know of any fix at all.
2. The game likes to just randomly freeze at any given point for up to 10 seconds. I was using DX11 at first, then got annoyed and dropped down to DX10 with slightly lower settings in certain areas.
So, what's with this? The game ran better five years ago, with lesser hardware and higher settings. Granted, I was using DX9 then, but there's no reason my hardware can't handle DX11 in this game, as it does every other game that utilizes it. Is this a problem with the game engine, or are there just certain SEVERELY over-tuned settings I'm unaware of and need to turn down or off? (I usually run with shadows off, and only 2x MSAA and 1-2x ASF, as anything higher is an exponential waste of resources in any game with very, very little graphical improvement.)
Running around in the crafting hall just a little bit ago was a very stressful process, as whenever I turned a corner the game froze up for up to the given amount of time above.
Would like everyone's opinions/suggestions on this. If DDO is this badly optimized I would highly suggest the next update comes with a vast amount of code/engine/etc. optimizations.
Edit: These issues are on top of random crashing before getting to the character selection screen, or when exiting the game. Getting tired of having to end-task dndclient.exe when I exit. :/