Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

no, playing is not a grind but, need the ring of the ancestors so I can raise my worthless hire who decides to go off beating on things she shouldn't and then gets herself killed. (I HIRED you to HEAL me, not go running off trying to kill chit). Need the ring of spell storing because Twisted Talisman has 3 charges per rest, I cant afford to buy potions of Mn out of the AH yet. The necklace from Korthos has 2 charges on it. So any extra SP restoring is very helpful. Also would like to add that beware Hires cannot heal you if they are not on level ground. (This confirmed by my guild leader)

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Regarding loot chances. I ran the sands wilderness 8 times and pulled about a dozen named items through the chests. 2 of which were greaves, which I was looking for. It took another dozen runs to get a third. On top of that and generally all the looting I have done in the last 5+ years in the game; nothing gets you your loot faster than 2 things:
    1. Patience.
    2. Boosting.

Ironically, the patience isn't the kind that comes with the word. I mean waiting until some people have looted or get that roll for yours in before everyone else. This sounds weird, but I have consistently gotten better loot when I am the only one accessing the chest. More so when I am the first. Which is terrible, but it also is fitting for the mechanics of an MMO drawing up loot from a set databases. The less latency when that query is ran, the less timeouts occur on the back end, and the less 'rerolls' are executed, yielding potentially lesser results. I mean, who knows what kind of failsafe's are there to ensure a provides any kind of result. I can imagine plenty of dooming scenarios, but without being on the back end (at turbine), I can't give any factual insight. I can say that these things do exist, mainly from being on the back end of other mmo's before.

Boosting is a experiment thing. You have to run a quest boosted to the max a few times, get a feel for the efficient drop level for that chest, and make a note of it. Like in shroud, saw more large devil scales with +1 loot on hard runs more than elite with no boosting or normal with +2.

Another good practice is playing off hours. If you can swing shrouds 24/7, just pug up when it is not being played a lot. This is more towards that first point of latency causing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by potpurri View Post
    no, playing is not a grind but, need the ring of the ancestors so I can raise my worthless hire who decides to go off beating on things she shouldn't and then gets herself killed. (I HIRED you to HEAL me, not go running off trying to kill chit).
    Drop hire, run back to entrance, wait 4 min and 30 seconds, then re-summon hire. No rez scroll required.

Or purchase a gold-seal hireling which you can summon and dismiss from wherever.

Or boost your UMD to cast Raise Dead.

Or…run without hires. I do it all the time.

None of these requires a grind.

Need the ring of spell storing because Twisted Talisman has 3 charges per rest, I cant afford to buy potions of Mn out of the AH yet.
    Use a weapon then.

Be judicious about what spell you use, in which situation.

I don’t purchase Mnomic (sp: ?) potions from the AH either (though I will buy them from the DDO store occasionally for fairly specious purposes).

Use scrolls for buffs.

Scroll summon creatures.

Use AoEs and Web for maximum effect.

If you are having difficulty running Hard or Elite without running out of bluebar, scale it back to Normal, where rest shrines recharge every 15 minutes.

Oh, and some hirelings have Divine Vitality, which you can use to recharge your SP pool. Have you considered that as a possibility?

I’ve got about 7 toons, over half of them on their second life, and I don’t have ANY of the things you say you “need”. Yet, I’m not having the problems you claim you have.

I think it is small Ebberon dragonshards can be traded in for some SP trinket in the Marketplace. If you have a bunch of those, check that option out.

This is not an issue with hires. It is an issue with your lack of understanding of the game, and what’s available to you.

Uber Completionist

Break time...... spend time with friends and family and come back when the next update will hit.

No need to grind those items if you aren't having fun doing it.
    Icywave - Orien Server - On life 88 - First Ultimate Completionist - 3x all past life feats- Guild: Intel Rq'd
    Build & Gear: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ast-life-feats

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    So youve defined playing as a grind?
    Playing stuff repeatedly = grind.

I can also define other simple words for you, but I generally charge for that service.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Playing stuff repeatedly = grind.

I can also define other simple words for you, but I generally charge for that service.
    Grind= mental state. But that has probably escaped you in the need to yell for hjeals, oh king of kobolds.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Uber Completionist

Grind= mental state. But that has probably escaped you in the need to yell for hjeals, oh king of kobolds.
    Not feeling doing the same quest 300 times as being a grind ... also = mental state.
    Icywave - Orien Server - On life 88 - First Ultimate Completionist - 3x all past life feats- Guild: Intel Rq'd
    Build & Gear: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ast-life-feats

I'm sure hamsters love their wheel.

Trolls are more evolved life-forms, just sayin.

I'm sure hamsters love their wheel.

Trolls are more evolved life-forms, just sayin.
    Devolved id agree to. But kobolds still remember to grind. Except on union breaks, when they claim to be trolls on the forums.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Default the rich get richer

yea,now i'm TRn' multiple toons;alot of better stuff drops 4 me.Not real happy with the drop rates still . Also... what sort of system are they building? the TOONs who run EE content get to build comendation faster than newer players who NEED their 1st epic or iconic past life.Quite ofter those groups are merciless on weaker toons also;players take the time take to ****talk at least. The items needed to get your toon to EE content is found in the tougher difficuties;no tiers of progression here .
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Yup, break time for you.

Turbine gives you two choices: grind until your eyes bleed or don't play. Number 2 for you.
    Too many sad addicts on these boards.

Moderation in all things.

Am I the only one on these boards who can play a quest or two a night, and then log off and do something else?
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Yes I'm taking a break now. Going to spend some time with my kid (whom I've ignored for the past 3 years to play this game)
    Wow I hope that's just melodrama and not serious.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

Am I the only one on these boards who can play a quest or two a night, and then log off and do something else?
    Nope, theres plenty of folks who can do that. However....

They do market this game as the anti-grind game, it just no longer fits that description.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

DDO offers so many build options that you don't really need to hunt for certain gear. Why repeat a specific single quest for a raise clicky item? Certain build options will allow you to do so as well. Most quests have more than one shrine. Sometimes it's not convenient enough to go to the nearest shrine.

You want to craft a specific item? Well, with some crafting systems the ingredients are mostly not bound (e.g. shroud crafting, cannith crafting). So you can play with whatever character you like and pool the ingredients with your banking mule/crafting mule.

The auction house is not really that transparent since only buyers and sellers will know the final price. I sell collectibles and all items I find via the auction house. I tend to just put a starting price (no quick buy price). I don't make that much money. The occasional mnemonic potions and certain ingredients will result in some extra coin, though. It's hardly sums to get to the plat cap. I could surely maximize it, but why the hassle? If I started min/maxing the auction house I'd sooner or later end up in implementing a "historic transactions database" and ponder alot about making transactions as comparable as possible.

p.s.
    There is #4 as well. Hjeal The_Troll if you're bored of playing DDO. Or some troll spanking if he starts being ungrateful. ;-)
    Last edited by deuxanes; 02-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Who is else is tired of grinding for materials to build green steel? Or grinding for scales to make armor just to bank them both a few levels after you have them completed. Also Who else is tired of seeing insane prices in the auction house and the shard exchange for lacerating weapons and other "named" items? And last but not least who else is tired of grinding for items like the ring of spell storing or the ring of the ancestors? I've wasted so much time trying to get these two things that I've lost time with my family that I will never get back. Shame on me. Just put the chit in the ddo store let me buy it and be on my merry way because I refuse to pay a zillion shards for them, and that's another question...its the same dude that's putting the lacerating weapons on the ah for insane prices, why is "HE" the only one that gets these to drop for him???????????? All I can think of is that it has to be a developer that's spawning these items then puts them in the shard exchange for crazy shard prices to try and get fools to go purchase shards out of the ddo store to buy the junk out of the shard exchange....if its not a developer then why hasn't this dude been busted and banned? Wish I could give his name but that's not my right to do so. But someone a game master or a developer needs to check into this on the cannith server because something just aint right there.
    i got a good laugh out of this.

who are you blaming exactly?

yourself?

Community Member

11000 TP for $60

1196 TP for Concentrated Major Mana Pots that average 500 mana

=

6 cents per mana pot.

So anything in this area may not be worth the grind.
    I find myself using them when I mess up and not when the group is gimp. I just drop.

Greensteel Mana is same as Wizard commendation gear. Just a few more swaps.

Greensteel Weapon? Just use auction house Paralyzers and Metalline for Heroic.

Pick your grinds very carefully and thought out because it is just a game. If you feel you are wasting real life time then dont. It 6 months to a year with power creep most gear is not worth it.

So far the only item I have grinded is the EAGA. I have a Greensteel Conop HP item that is still handy. Gave some mats to the boy's Barb for GS Falchion, but really he just needs the EAGA now.

I do wish some of the AH gear had higher ML so that some raids were still worth running for fun, and would fill even if pugging.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 02-10-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

What's the point of playing a quest or two a night?

No activity that un-compelling is worth your money.

Who is else is tired of grinding for materials to build green steel? Or grinding for scales to make armor just to bank them both a few levels after you have them completed. Also Who else is tired of seeing insane prices in the auction house and the shard exchange for lacerating weapons and other "named" items? And last but not least who else is tired of grinding for items like the ring of spell storing or the ring of the ancestors? I've wasted so much time trying to get these two things that I've lost time with my family that I will never get back. Shame on me. Just put the chit in the ddo store let me buy it and be on my merry way because I refuse to pay a zillion shards for them, and that's another question...its the same dude that's putting the lacerating weapons on the ah for insane prices, why is "HE" the only one that gets these to drop for him???????????? All I can think of is that it has to be a developer that's spawning these items then puts them in the shard exchange for crazy shard prices to try and get fools to go purchase shards out of the ddo store to buy the junk out of the shard exchange....if its not a developer then why hasn't this dude been busted and banned? Wish I could give his name but that's not my right to do so. But someone a game master or a developer needs to check into this on the cannith server because something just aint right there.

Just a question...how is it that you know who is posting the items?
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Who is else is tired of grinding for materials to build green steel?
    I never found this tiring; although, there were probably more Shroud raids run back when I was building GS items.

Or grinding for scales to make armor just to bank them both a few levels after you have them completed.
    Most gear is level-specific so I never though scale armor should be any different.

Also Who else is tired of seeing insane prices in the auction house and the shard exchange for lacerating weapons and other "named" items?
    Doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it might bother some people.

And last but not least who else is tired of grinding for items like the ring of spell storing or the ring of the ancestors?
    I never really tried to grind for ROSS, just checked the chest whenever I did slayer runs. I decided I would have more fun in this game if I didn't try to grind out specific things too much. Except for the Torq. I decided that I MUST have one and got pretty frustrated after failing to get it. Fortunately a guild-mate let me have one that he pulled. That act probably kept me playing; I image I might have quit otherwise, and he knew it.

It really does sound you need to take a break for a little while, or at the very least adjust your goals for the game.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

What's the point of playing a quest or two a night?

No activity that un-compelling is worth your money.
    Lots of people play a quest or two a night, casual-like. Not everyone plays 4 hours or more a day. It's all about what is fun for you.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast