Community Member

Lightbulb Anybody remember the rakehell fighter? (experiment!)

Okay so really I'm gonna start with saying this is just an idea I had and I posted it here because I'd like to see what the forum does with it.

Does anybody remember the Rakehell fighter paragon path from oldschool tabletop?

Ya no, the fighter that didn't use armor and was kind of like a kensai? The dude in the foppy hat with the foil yelling "a-ha!" and fighting dudes on top of tables in the tavern? This dude out-barded the bard!

So I figured... hell! Let's see what that'd be like in DDO!

Now in my mind, it'd end up a fighter-monk mix. Using kensai to fight with something like rapiers or longswords while centered. Probably unarmored. You know the deal. I might even try this myself even though I'm very new at making my own build. Something like a PDK fighter-monk-paladin using the weapon training enhancement for stat synergy. I don't exactly have the expertise to put up a detailed build for that here though.

But yeah! Provided there's any sort of interest in an experiment like this, let's hear your thoughts! I'd like to try out something like this, at least.

or maybe that's just me?

Default Character Generator

To help you along with building/posting builds on the forums, this program is the one most widely used on here. When you're done making it, you'll see a function to copy what you've built in a format that works on here!

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...cter-Generator
    Keep on rollin'.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

I don't know what the rakehell fighter is, but if you're interested in a rapier wielding centered kensai, check out Santa's Little Slayer in my sig.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by Clevercake View Post
    Okay so really I'm gonna start with saying this is just an idea I had and I posted it here because I'd like to see what the forum does with it.

Does anybody remember the Rakehell fighter paragon path from oldschool tabletop?

Ya no, the fighter that didn't use armor and was kind of like a kensai? The dude in the foppy hat with the foil yelling "a-ha!" and fighting dudes on top of tables in the tavern? This dude out-barded the bard!

So I figured... hell! Let's see what that'd be like in DDO!

Now in my mind, it'd end up a fighter-monk mix. Using kensai to fight with something like rapiers or longswords while centered. Probably unarmored. You know the deal. I might even try this myself even though I'm very new at making my own build. Something like a PDK fighter-monk-paladin using the weapon training enhancement for stat synergy. I don't exactly have the expertise to put up a detailed build for that here though.

But yeah! Provided there's any sort of interest in an experiment like this, let's hear your thoughts! I'd like to try out something like this, at least.

or maybe that's just me?
    If you don't mind longsword for the theme, the monk has a feat that lets them center with them. You don't even need to multiclass for that. And ninja spy gives you centered shortsword for the offhand for 1 Enhancement AP. The Ranger(tempest) is probably the second class to look at, for the free TWF feats. Elaborate Parry (T4 Tempest: min AP23pts & L5 Rgr) also is pretty nice if you aren't wearing armor and don't need to wear armor. It can boost your dodge way above 50% in pajamas. Third class? Maybe throw some fighter in or whatever.

Something to keep in mind, the Rakehell was optimised to work as a TWF with a light weapon in the off hand; this in a combat system that punished a poor THAC0. Though there is a slight accuracy penalty for fighting with two big blades in DDO, it is largely insignificant (compared to PnP) and easily overcome. Which is why you don't see sword and dagger users in the game, even the druids are running around wielding dual scimitars.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    If you don't mind longsword for the theme, the monk has a feat that lets them center with them. You don't even need to multiclass for that. And ninja spy gives you centered shortsword for the offhand for 1 Enhancement AP. The Ranger(tempest) is probably the second class to look at, for the free TWF feats. Elaborate Parry (T4 Tempest: min AP23pts & L5 Rgr) also is pretty nice if you aren't wearing armor and don't need to wear armor. It can boost your dodge way above 50% in pajamas. Third class? Maybe throw some fighter in or whatever.

Something to keep in mind, the Rakehell was optimised to work as a TWF with a light weapon in the off hand; this in a combat system that punished a poor THAC0. Though there is a slight accuracy penalty for fighting with two big blades in DDO, it is largely insignificant (compared to PnP) and easily overcome. Which is why you don't see sword and dagger users in the game, even the druids are running around wielding dual scimitars.
    Right! Now we're cooking! All of that is great input and kind of along the lines I was thinking. Though obviously far more informed than I am. Ultimately this is all just a theoretical experiment that may or may not actually get done. More than anything I'm interested to see if it's possible to make something that plays similarly. The third class, if there's even need for one, would probably be fighter, yeah. Nothing wrong with extra feats and the entire thing stems from a fighter paragon path after all. The 50%+ dodge from ranger sounds absolutely perfect for what this is, and I wasn't even aware of that. Longswords are definately a more than acceptable substitute. Especially since I'm not even sure a monk can be centered with rapiers anyway. Dual wielding is just fine, after all, we're after a DDO version that comes as close to the original play as possible. Not an exact clone that wouldn't work.

thanks for all the input so far. Anyone else got more to say or more ideas for this I'd still really like to see where this can go.

The santa's little slayer definately comes pretty close to what the rakehell is/was and was a cool read. I don't I've met anything like that in game yet. And I've been playing for a while. Takes all sorts, huh? Gotta love a dragonmarked pointy eared storm of pokey death in a floppy hat, man.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Clevercake View Post
    Especially since I'm not even sure a monk can be centered with rapiers anyway.
    Centered with rapiers is exactly what Santa's Little Slayer is. So yes, it's possible but requires a deep fighter splash. The kensai tier 5 enhancement, one with the blade, allows you to be centered with all weapons in the kensai weapon group that you select as the first core enhancement in the tree. One with the blade requires 8 levels of fighter and the greater weapon focus feat to access it.

Also, depending on how much you want to optimize this build, rapiers are much higher dps than longswords due to their better crit profile and the lack of many good named longswords.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer