Community Member

Default Template: 32 pt - Ranger (Arcane Archer)

This build is intended to be a basic template as a reference point to myself, and novice players who want an idea of how to build a pure ranger.
    Feedback is welcome.

Objective

Strength based ranger balanced for maximum melee, and ranged damage output. Longswords, Rapiers, and Longbows are recommended weapons for this elven build to synergize with their Aerenal Weapon Training.

Race, Class, and Alignment

Arcane Archer
    Elf, Ranger 20, True Neutral

Ability Scores (32 pt build)

Str 16 (All remaining ability increases here. See below.)
    Dex 18 (First ability increase here at lvl 4.)
    Con 14
    Int 8
    Wis 10
    Cha 8

(Requires Tome of Strength +2, and Tome of Dexterity +2)

Skills

Max balance, concentration, heal (for survivability), use magic device, 1 in tumble, and remainder into spot. If stealth play is desired; ranks invested into hide, and move silently are unnecessary, as ranger gets access to spells that will make up for these short comings.

Level Progression

Ranger 1-20

Feats

1: Point Blank Shot
    RGR 1: Favored Enemy: Undead
    3: Precision
    RGR 5: Favored Enemy: Giant
    6: Power Attack
    9: Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    RGR 10: Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    12: Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons or Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    15: Cleave
    RGR 15: Favored Enemy: Aberration
    18: Great Cleave
    RGR 20: Favored Enemy: Construct

21: Empower Healing (for survivability. Use Rejuvenation Cacoon from Primal Avatar for best results.)
    24: Overwhelming Critical (effects both melee, and ranged critical profiles.)
    25: Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting (see requirements.)
    27: Combat Archery
    28: Doubleshot (see requirements.)

Enhancements

N/A

Spell List

N/A

Consumables

Potions of Remove Curse (for self)
    Scrolls of Invisibility (for utility)
    Scrolls of Fire Shield (for defense)
    Scrolls of Teleport (for travel)

Sources: Help with starting stats pure ranged arcane archer elf, U19 Elven AA help?, Toxophilite, Toxophilite | DDO Source
    Last edited by UrbanPyro; 07-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    ~Aetherierlla~ | ~Alioria~ | ~Ausla~ | ~Blitzclank~ | ~Boomclank~ | ~Sputtering~
    Endgame; Sarlona

Community Member

I have a few suggestions:
    First, the arcane archer capstone is broken. You don't want it. Your primary imbue will be flakey if you take it.
    Second...I think you'd be happier with 18 levels of ranger than 20. With 2 splash levels you can get respectable trapping with rogue-1 and an additional feat plus a cheap haste bonus with fighter-1. Alternatively, you could consider another splash like paladin-2 or even monk. The last 2 levels of ranger, IMO don't give you a whole lot. Since you'll be an elf, should Turbine ever fix master of imbuement, you can use the elven arcane archer line to get access at level 25 to that capstone.

Community Member

It is worth while to mention that the Arcane Archer capstone is indeed bugged at the moment.

Most players probably will prefer to splash a mix of the suggested classes, however this is intended to be a pure class post. Older players may still recognize the 18 Ranger/1 Monk/1 Rogue as The Exploiter Ranger from 2009. There are many variants of it out there floating around on the forums still. The one previously mentioned was the first one I stumbled across through a google query. The feats have drastically changed since then, but with a bit of tuning, I'm sure the build still functions at an acceptable rate.
    Last edited by UrbanPyro; 04-01-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    ~Aetherierlla~ | ~Alioria~ | ~Ausla~ | ~Blitzclank~ | ~Boomclank~ | ~Sputtering~
    Endgame; Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ValariusK View Post
    I have a few suggestions:
    First, the arcane archer capstone is broken. You don't want it. Your primary imbue will be flakey if you take it.
    Second...I think you'd be happier with 18 levels of ranger than 20. With 2 splash levels you can get respectable trapping with rogue-1 and an additional feat plus a cheap haste bonus with fighter-1. Alternatively, you could consider another splash like paladin-2 or even monk. The last 2 levels of ranger, IMO don't give you a whole lot. Since you'll be an elf, should Turbine ever fix master of imbuement, you can use the elven arcane archer line to get access at level 25 to that capstone.
    How is the primary imbue flaky? I have two ranges with some skill points in the AA tree and have had no problems with any of the imbues.

Community Member

If you have the capstone, your primary imbue will periodically just go away, making you restart it. You can get more details by searching here on master of imbuement.
    Primary imbues work fine if you don't have the capstone.