Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Default Restless Isles XP increase

I'd like to suggest that, if xp is getting changed, the Restless Isles gets an overhaul.

BMtHoGF is a long and reasonably tricky quest. As a point of difference, VoN5 seems a breeze as far as MOB's HPs and difficulty goes. I would suggest an XP increase for both flagging quests. It may have the upside that more people may buy and run it too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drykks - Baanzai - Elyndaar

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

ive always enjoyed Ghola Fan. I think its a very fun quest and goes down as one of my favorites, but I never run it while leveling because you can hardly get people to run it with you. the last time I ran it I had to buy a 2nd hire half way through because the hire I had ran out of sp too quickly. I haven't been back since. ive always thought the xp was pretty good anyways, but if the xp was boosted there, than maybe more people would run those quests. I think what would also be good is to boost HIPS. I don't see very many lfms for that quest and I run it maybe once every 3 lives. theres enough xp for level 10 quests so I can easily skip that chain. im surprised they haven't added more quests out there too which I think could really boost the pack.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_the_South View Post
    I'd like to suggest that, if xp is getting changed, the Restless Isles gets an overhaul.

BMtHoGF is a long and reasonably tricky quest. As a point of difference, VoN5 seems a breeze as far as MOB's HPs and difficulty goes. I would suggest an XP increase for both flagging quests. It may have the upside that more people may buy and run it too.
    think the confusing island layout and useless map are more to blame then exp. It'd need a redesign to make it be run more. raids with entrances that can be gotten to from public zones also are more popular, having to run through a series of tunnels with a terrible map especially one that isnt a raid zone (so you'd have to enter the zone and get to the island (or Greater tele there) before you got into the party) makes it undesirable for most.

still, after 3bc I wouldnt mind seeing restless isles getting a redesign/upgrade and be changed to epic (along with fixing the end fight of the raid, and having the piking mechanic in the last fight be redesigned so you dont have 8-10 people just standing on a ladder)

von5 seems easy because people run it so much, even ADQ is easy in comparison. I never thought the restless isles raid as all that tough, although at level the flagging quests are challanging the raid itself was rather easy and boring (Was always part of the piking group), if it werent for the puzzle slowing things down then the quest could probably be completed in less then 10min at level by a shortman group.

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Good point on HiPS - although this is a FTP quest and may not be in the business model to make changes to it.

VoN5 (imho) is easier because the MOBs are much less powerful. MOBs in Restless Isles hit harder and have more HPs (this is purely anecdotal having run both the other night and noticing the differences). I don't always run Ghola Fan either but decided to join an lfm - much faster.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drykks - Baanzai - Elyndaar

I think doubling the XP for Ghola and the mines would feel about right.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

I think they should do this when they revamp it for epics... however I suspect that 3BC will be a flop and they will no longer revamp any epics due to their own silly choice to Epic one of the least Epic (and least popular) map packs in the game. It is the Turbine way, lack of design vision, flighty quickly obsoleted crafting systems, quickly abandoned new features/Raids, forgotten quests/raids/loot, obviating their own content with silly choices like giving away raid loot and crushing that raid's LFM's into nonexistence.

Remember long long ago when the new augment system was put in and they revamped HALF the games named items to have augment slots? Remember how they said they would do the OTHER HALF of the games named items? Yeah that never happened. Also remember how Epic versions of items were supposed to get buffed so they resembled the Heroic newly augmented items? Yep that also never happened...

Turbine changes direction like a 13y/o girl at a boy band convention.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    I think they should do this when they revamp it for epics... however I suspect that 3BC will be a flop and they will no longer revamp any epics due to their own silly choice to Epic one of the least Epic (and least popular) map packs in the game. It is the Turbine way, lack of design vision, flighty quickly obsoleted crafting systems, quickly abandoned new features/Raids, forgotten quests/raids/loot, obviating their own content with silly choices like giving away raid loot and crushing that raid's LFM's into nonexistence.

Remember long long ago when the new augment system was put in and they revamped HALF the games named items to have augment slots? Remember how they said they would do the OTHER HALF of the games named items? Yeah that never happened. Also remember how Epic versions of items were supposed to get buffed so they resembled the Heroic newly augmented items? Yep that also never happened...

Turbine changes direction like a 13y/o girl at a boy band convention.
    their choice to make 3bc epic is most likely that some poor dev already put a lot of work into it, just like epic gianthold. (wich leaked to lamania years ago)

only an ungodly amount of XP would ever convince me to take my characters out to restless isles in heroics.

something that would have to provide enough XP/min to make the awful run out there worth while.