Community Member

Default A way to reduce cyber-bullying.

The current method of ignoring a toon doesn't work very well because a cyber-bully might have several of them and can always create more. It would be better if blocking one toon automatically blocks every toon associated with that account.

While i'd like this feature if you're having an issue report them. The DMs have a very low tolerance for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaye View Post
    The current method of ignoring a toon doesn't work very well because a cyber-bully might have several of them and can always create more. It would be better if blocking one toon automatically blocks every toon associated with that account.
    That is where right-clicking a user's name and selecting Report Harassment comes into play. If it is legit they earn a vacation.

Community Member

Thank you for your concerns Teh_Troll and Phoenix-daBard but I have not suffered from cyber-bullying in DDO or on the forums. What I have experienced in-game is offensive language disguised to bypass the filters. Ignoring the toon works for a while but hours or days later the same offensive language starts coming from another toon belonging to that same player. What I need is a way to ignore all of that player's toons and not just the one.

Then I realised that such a scheme might also help to reduce the frequency of cyber-bullying so I posted the suggestion.

By the way, cyber-bullying is now a real crime in North America and should be reported to the proper authorities and not just the owners of the property where the crime took place.

if i'm on the forums then probably offshore

Thank you for your concerns Teh_Troll and Phoenix-daBard but I have not suffered from cyber-bullying in DDO or on the forums. What I have experienced in-game is offensive language disguised to bypass the filters. Ignoring the toon works for a while but hours or days later the same offensive language starts coming from another toon belonging to that same player. What I need is a way to ignore all of that player's toons and not just the one.

Then I realised that such a scheme might also help to reduce the frequency of cyber-bullying so I posted the suggestion.

By the way, cyber-bullying is now a real crime in North America and should be reported to the proper authorities and not just the owners of the property where the crime took place.
    When you log on just set the incoming tab to Guild or Party and you never have to see it again. I do like the 'squelch one, squelch all' philosophy as it's not the toon I'm trying to ignore as the person behind it.

If you don't mind me asking....if you log on and see someone spamming 'pemis,pemis,pemis' in General chat exactly what authorities would you call?
    Neg Ten, ruining your enjoyment of the game one quest at a time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by biggin View Post
    When you log on just set the incoming tab to Guild or Party and you never have to see it again. I do like the 'squelch one, squelch all' philosophy as it's not the toon I'm trying to ignore as the person behind it.

If you don't mind me asking....if you log on and see someone spamming 'pemis,pemis,pemis' in General chat exactly what authorities would you call?
    Well I have not been a victim of cyber-bullying but if I did a good place to start is http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbul...how-to-report/

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    That is where right-clicking a user's name and selecting Report Harassment comes into play. If it is legit they earn a vacation.
    Last time I checked, "Report Harassment" does nothing but squelch. They removed the part where it filed a harassment ticket a year or two ago, probably to sneakily cut down on ticket volume. You have to manually file a ticket if you want something to get looked at.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    While i'd like this feature if you're having an issue report them. The DMs have a very low tolerance for this.
    nope, they aren't. Seen some people with those kind of issues, many reports, and GM's say like "oh live with it, can't do much"

blergh
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...te-Threat-Gear

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    Please set the minimum to a negative number so some classes can generate love. There is too much hate in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Last time I checked, "Report Harassment" does nothing but squelch. They removed the part where it filed a harassment ticket a year or two ago, probably to sneakily cut down on ticket volume. You have to manually file a ticket if you want something to get looked at.
    The reports to not create a ticket we can see, this is based on an event I was involved in last October.

Bullying is a serious issue in all forms and using it to piggyback your pet feature request is in bad taste in my opinion.

That's fine if the person on the other end is in the US. Most people I come across have a big puddle between me and them.

Well I have not been a victim of cyber-bullying but if I did a good place to start is http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbul...how-to-report/
    So to paraphrase the instructions on that page (in order):

1. Squelch and move on.
    2. Report harassment.
    3. Report to law enforcement (if within legal jurisdiction).

So if 1 and 2 are used effectively number 3 becomes irrelevant.
    Last edited by Phoenix-daBard; 01-28-2014 at 03:18 PM.