Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    His response was "Remove the Downloader". Verbatim. Quoted.

Your apologist version does not match. What's not to understand?
    I'm not being apologist. That's you jumping to conclusions. If you go back a couple pages, you'll see where I posted my own feelings on this before it went live.
    (Combat): ********** was healed by you for 5,033 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhauvial View Post
    Akamai is reputable software used by a very large number of companies (http://www.akamai.com/html/customers/customer_list.html).
    There is difference between clients of server company, and software made by company who owns servers. This is cut off p2p software, that unnecessary runs on start up. I don't care about other details. This needs to be fixed months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    There is difference between clients of server company, and software made by company who owns servers. This is cut off p2p software, that unnecessary runs on start up. I don't care about other details. This needs to be fixed months ago.
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I was mostly posting that for the benefit of the d00m-sayers coming from other threads. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but some were calling it out-right malware, which is false.
    Last edited by Fhauvial; 03-10-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    Have fun soloing everything. :-)
    You vastly overestimate the number of players willing to up and quit on a game some of them have been playing for years over an inconsequential change to the update process.

Quote Originally Posted by SardaofChaos View Post
    You vastly overestimate the number of players willing to up and quit on a game some of them have been playing for years over an inconsequential change to the update process.
    I've spent more money than I care to admit on this game. More time than I can count. 4.5 years of playing and I'll be among the vast number of people quiting.
    (>^.^)> NinjaKittyz ~ SadysticMiss ~ <(^_^)> ~ DarthKittyz ~ KeiraKittyz ~ <(^.^<)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fhauvial View Post
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I was mostly posting that for the benefit of the d00m-sayers coming from other threads. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but some were calling it out-right malware, which is false.
    Most doomsayer have points, Turbine says p2p was off but I am experiencing bandwidth sucking experience, further investigating, Akamai is uploading files. After further checking, most of the files uploaded are the Akamai client itself. Even my antivirus agree with me, when Akamai is not secretly uploading files (but stalling my client to a crash) my Antivirus put Akamai to trusted group being a known company. When Akamai started hogging bandwidth and started uploading chunks of data, my Antivirus gets alerted and blocked it.

Quote Originally Posted by vhortex View Post
    Most doomsayer have points, Turbine says p2p was off but I am experiencing bandwidth sucking experience, further investigating, Akamai is uploading files. After further checking, most of the files uploaded are the Akamai client itself. Even my antivirus agree with me, when Akamai is not secretly uploading files (but stalling my client to a crash) my Antivirus put Akamai to trusted group being a known company. When Akamai started hogging bandwidth and started uploading chunks of data, my Antivirus gets alerted and blocked it.
    I wasn't saying they didn't have points. Most of the points I agree with, in fact. The second I realized Akamai was calling home after I denied it access through my firewall, I uninstalled and am currently using PyLoTRO.

I absolutely love to play D&D. I have been playing for over 30 years and playing DDO with my wife for over 4 years and I will not be logging in until this is rectified. We have more then forty characters over two servers and just reched 27th level on four of them, and even though we are sooo close to capping them, we will not be logging in until this is fixed. There is too much lag in this game to be adding something that wants to take up more bandwidth. They have been compared to malware, the fact that they are similar enough to make the connection is a bad thing. Lamanians were lied to saying that things would be disabled when it went live, and there is no way that I am agreeing to the listed terms and agreements. If they are going to shoot the horse then do it. The players are getting tired of coming up with their own work arounds to deal with the increasing amount of bantha poodoo.

Just my opinion, I hope to see you all again in game, when this is fixed.
    Every time mankind makes something new, improved and idiot-proof... nature comes out with a new idiot.

Many people realize they spent a lot of money on a game that is being driven into a wall by a shrinking group of incompetent and autistic people.

Better save $200 and get out now than stay and watch it drown in its own excrements.

At least that's what I think they think.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Yeah, the last we heard from Rowan was that this would be GONE with this update. But, as feared, it went live without any word from Turbine, without any explanation. The only thing we've heard is "WAI" and "Don't bother us". So yeah, I'll not be logging in or updating. Maybe if they decide to fix this AS PROMISED. Maybe.

I bet you've got Turbine's attention now.
    Last edited by Postumus; 03-10-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    Many people realize they spent a lot of money on a game that is being driven into a wall by a shrinking group of incompetent and autistic people.

Better save $200 and get out now than stay and watch it drown in its own excrements.

amen

Thumbs down

Got the urge to play DDO again. Decided to check things out before re-subscribing.

Noticed this thread and turned back around. I keep a lean, clean system, and have no interest in crapware.

Maybe I'll be back if they straighten up their act. I've sunk some money in this game after all. Not really impressed with DDO's changes over the years though. Seems like one bad step after another, but I do enjoy D&D games.

Anyway, ESO is right around the corner. I guess I'll just have to give ZOS my money instead? Bad timing really, making such a controversial change right before a highly anticipated competing MMO launches. Doesn't Turbine have anyone on staff who looks at marketing trends and how they relate to game updates?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    Two words: Alpha Build

An alpha build can have all kinds of dev experiments that will not appear in a beta. They said it was an alpha build and I understood what that meant. Anything can happen.
    Turbine needs to buy me a plane ticket to come out and teach them how to use their source control. It sounds like they are a bunch of cowboys there.

Community Member

Default Cancelled my VIP subscription

I'd been playing DDO mainly because it's one of the few games to have 6 person groups and I am part of a group of 6 friends that were looking to hang out online for a few hours a week. Of the 6 of us, 5 have VIP subscriptions and one buys the content with points. Oh, well...

Crappy that my 3 month subscription just renewed a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ino-San View Post
    I've spent more money than I care to admit on this game. More time than I can count. 4.5 years of playing and I'll be among the vast number of people quiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by macubrae View Post
    I absolutely love to play D&D. I have been playing for over 30 years and playing DDO with my wife for over 4 years and I will not be logging in until this is rectified. We have more then forty characters over two servers and just reched 27th level on four of them, and even though we are sooo close to capping them, we will not be logging in until this is fixed. There is too much lag in this game to be adding something that wants to take up more bandwidth. They have been compared to malware, the fact that they are similar enough to make the connection is a bad thing. Lamanians were lied to saying that things would be disabled when it went live, and there is no way that I am agreeing to the listed terms and agreements. If they are going to shoot the horse then do it. The players are getting tired of coming up with their own work arounds to deal with the increasing amount of bantha poodoo.

Just my opinion, I hope to see you all again in game, when this is fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post

Read my sig; one of the players this time is confirming that you lot are overreacting. Maybe you'll listen to him over the devs.

Read my sig; one of the players this time is confirming that you lot are overreacting. Maybe you'll listen to him over the devs.
    To those going on and on with proof that is safe and even proof that it is not, I say I don't care. I won't explain anymore and only reply with this from now on as it is so nicely written and pretty much covers things:

Quote Originally Posted by DDOBobC View Post
    These threads remind me of lessons I thought I'd learned from USEnet but apparently had forgotten : you simply can not change someone's mind in an on-line discussion. Even before the days of "your text is more than 140 chars, therefore TL;DR" we'd perfected to an art form the ability to take the most utterly uncharitable reading of someone else's post and mock them for it. You can't have an opposing point of view : you simply must have a misconception which must be derided and mocked.

Some people <raises hand> are not happy with this whole Akamai kerfuffle. Rather than listen to our complaints and/or consider that we may simply view things differently, too many feel the need to mock and belittle those who take issue. It's not enough to say "I feel otherwise" - no, it has to be said that we're paranoid, don't understand computers/the internet/lifetheuniverseeverything/etc. As if you alone actually knew what was objectively safe, acceptable, or appropriate to run on any machine anywhere.

You'll never be convinced. I've seen it countless times on countless message boards, dating back to when knowing secrets like how to fake DTMF signals and actually sporting something as high as 2,400 baud made you certifiably Elite(tm). But maybe Turbine will listen where fellow players won't.

Akamai doesn't need to be malicious to be unwanted. It doesn't need to be a grave security risk to be something I don't want on my machine. It doesn't make it okay that "it's not as data-mining as <x>". Saying it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother me, and that by itself doesn't make me wrong, paranoid, or ignorant.

I've patched and been playing via a 3rd party launcher. So I've never agreed to this new EULA. And my VIP was cancelled yesterday ; reactivation is pending, waiting to see what happens over the next week or so.

Stop with the excuses. You might think you're trying to correct perceptions, but what you're actually doing is saying to a portion of your customer base "Here is why you're wrong to feel the way you do.". The customer most certainly is NOT always right, but when you have enough customers making the same complaint, maybe the best reaction isn't to tell them all "Sorry, but you're wrong.".

Anyway, just my 2pyreals on the subject (yes, I've been playing Turbine games that long, not that it matters). I just hope the people at Turbine are a bit more interested in gathering customer feedback than they are 'winning' a 'net argument, the way so many other posters who want to harp on "ha ha put on more tinfoil there's nothing wrong with data mining" apparently seem to be.

And as always: Nerf Left Axe.

fnord
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Community Member

Default what about manual install

I have a BIG question that I have not seen answered anywhere. When I attampted to patch DDO this new Akamai thing WOULD NOT auto install. I had to find it and MANUALLY install it.

SO I was basically forced to get akamai to play ddo, and then DDO's "safe" install wouldn't work, so I had to get the install the hard way (not easy as there isn't an actual download site for Akamai).

So now.. am I safe or is MY version of Akamai completely UNSAFE?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    To those going on and on with proof that is safe and even proof that it is not, I say I don't care. I won't explain anymore and only reply with this from now on as it is so nicely written and pretty much covers things:
    TheDarkTraveler listed facts. Check his post history, he's listed more facts. All of them point to the netsession client being no more harmful than the browser you used to type that post, which can also be exploited at any time to install malware without your knowledge. There are easy ways to stay safe for all practical purposes. There is no way to stay 100% safe except to not connect to the internet with anything at all.

Of course, since you feel the need to quote someone who didn't even say anything of substance, you probably won't bother reading anything Dark had to say either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kundorf View Post
    I have a BIG question that I have not seen answered anywhere. When I attampted to patch DDO this new Akamai thing WOULD NOT auto install. I had to find it and MANUALLY install it.

SO I was basically forced to get akamai to play ddo, and then DDO's "safe" install wouldn't work, so I had to get the install the hard way (not easy as there isn't an actual download site for Akamai).

So now.. am I safe or is MY version of Akamai completely UNSAFE?

I'm going to go ahead and say you should probably uninstall that and see if the devs have posted anything about the launcher not installing akamai. Given that you presumably had to get it from an unofficial source, it's possible that it's not safe.
    Last edited by SardaofChaos; 03-12-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Community Member

Thanks for the input.. on another thread I FINALLY got an answer as to where the control panel for akamai is and how to disable it's upload capability

Quote Originally Posted by Kundorf View Post
    Thanks for the input.. on another thread I FINALLY got an answer as to where the control panel for akamai is and how to disable it's upload capability
    And that thread would be where?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast