Community Member

Default Rogue lvl 1 and lvl ?

Just wanted to know why people sometimes say if your gonna take 2 lvls of rogue for evasion why they wait be4 taking the second level of Rogue.

I know that always take rogue at lvl 1 for the skill point but i have been taking it at lvl 1 and 2 but some1 are saying i should wait till 9/12 and when i asked why they said i would get more skill points.....i understand that with tome's i would get a couple more points but is that it?

Of some1 could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated.

TY

your points that you can invest are capped per level, so you end up having to spend points in cross class skills or ones you don't want.

waiting to use them allows you to invest cross class skills until you cant keep up anymore then top up with 2nd rogue level before higher level tomes kick in to help absorb the investment deficiency.

Always Rogue at first level
    Rogue gets (8+int bonus)x4 .closest next class gets (6+int bonus)x4
    So you would get 8 more starting skill points than any other class with no INT investment. .. goes up from there.
    Rogues get the most available class skills so this allows you to invest 4 points in just about everything that matters right at the start.

Then you can selectively keep up what you need as you level in cross class skills. I typically keep search maxed and secndary disable device ..
    You cant disable a trap if you cant find it and disable can fall behind a bit because the +7 from +5 tools will fill that void that the search doesn't benefit from.

Generally I take my 2nd rogue level around 11-13 depending on the other class. such as cleric get Blade barrier before 2nd rogue level.. etc....
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-24-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Community Member

I wait as late as possible. On a 4 level split, I took it at 5, 12, 17, 18. On a 2 level split I would do 12, 18. Yes, this means you can't trap till 12, but it also means that I can dump _all_ my points into trapping instead of burning my skill points in cross-class skills that cost far too much, as mentioned above.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    I wait as late as possible. On a 4 level split, I took it at 5, 12, 17, 18. On a 2 level split I would do 12, 18. Yes, this means you can't trap till 12, but it also means that I can dump _all_ my points into trapping instead of burning my skill points in cross-class skills that cost far too much, as mentioned above.
    you take your first rogue at lvl 12? that.... while your choice, doesnt make much sense. as JOTMON said, 1st lvl as a rogue is better due to the increased amount of skill pts you get at 1st lvl and the fact you can cap out most, if not all, of your skills at 4 then.

taking the 2nd level is based on flavor really, on my palemaster I usually take it right after we get firewall. ~lvl 9 I believe.

sure when your splitting more then 2 lvls, its alright to take them later. but usually the 1-2 are before 12, when evasion starts to really help.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    you take your first rogue at lvl 12? that.... while your choice, doesnt make much sense. as JOTMON said, 1st lvl as a rogue is better due to the increased amount of skill pts you get at 1st lvl and the fact you can cap out most, if not all, of your skills at 4 then.

taking the 2nd level is based on flavor really, on my palemaster I usually take it right after we get firewall. ~lvl 9 I believe.

sure when your splitting more then 2 lvls, its alright to take them later. but usually the 1-2 are before 12, when evasion starts to really help.
    Whenever I take rogue lvl I take on on the first and honestly I find myself looking for places to put skill points. A half orc with 6 int would get 24 skill points enough to max out 6 skills, but you need more int for your other levels. Say a barb or fighter you need a ten to keep search and DD.

Taking Rogue at Level 1 does give you the MAX Points to spend right at the start

However, when to take the 2nd level...

Every level you take once you have Rogue will mean that you can up a skill a whole Rank point (However, if the current class does not have this as a class skill it will cost 2 skill points to get a full Point)

Taking the 2nd Rogue Level at Level 2 does not only mean you miss out on bonuses to INT bonus of Tomes and level-ups (if this is where you spend them) but it also means that all skills will be maxed at Rank 5. Which will be 8 + Int mod (0 to 4 points), so you will be limited to spending.

By waiting to level 9+ gives you more room to spend skill points.

Another part to consider is how soon do you really need Evasion to survive. Most find it more useful in the 11+ level range and less useful prior - but this is up to you to decide.