Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Pick lock and disable device

Perhaps I made my Human Ranger in haste. Can this character pick locks and disable device? So far I can't seen to do it. Can I duel-class as a ranger-rouge and if so how do I do it?

Thanks for any input

Sotarios

Never played a ranger this thread may help.....

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...aps-Pick-Locks

Also next time you level up just go to the rogue trainer and you can take a rogue level instead of ranger

You will keep your ranger levels as well
    Last edited by xXbikergirlXx; 01-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sotarios View Post
    Perhaps I made my Human Ranger in haste. Can this character pick locks and disable device? So far I can't seen to do it. Can I duel-class as a ranger-rouge and if so how do I do it?

Thanks for any input

Sotarios
    Will I need to start a new character?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    Never played a ranger this thread may help.....

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...aps-Pick-Locks

Also next time you level up just go to the rogue trainer and you can take rogue level instead of ranger
    Wow that was a quick reply thank you

No see above
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    No see above
    I must have sent previous quote as you were sending yours

Thanks again

Having re-read the link I posted just thought I should mention.....

Things have changed a lot since 2009 and I am really not sure how much of that info is still relevant.....

When I first started DDO Wiki was really helpful but even now I find character building very complex.....

I'm yet to try multi-classing in any form.....

Play to learn, is the best advice I can give
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Thanks for any input

Sotarios
    Don't multiclass without a plan. For example it's best to take a rogue level first for the extra skill points. If you are a new player it's better to start off with single a class character, it's harder to make irreversible mistakes. If you want a trapper, reroll or roll an alt.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

Thanks for any input

Sotarios
    My pure ranger has those skills on the list but they have always been unavailable. Some people build multiclass characters with one or two levels of rogue but this will leave your Ranger skills one or two levels behind what they would have been. That is a significant reduction in power. If you can find another player with the skills and group with them that is the optimum solution but the odds are against it. Matching server, playing speed, level, and complimentary skills is hard. What I do is hire a rogue when I can get enough shards or have enough Turbine Points.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

yes because taking a rogue level doesn't automagically allow u to disable all traps and pick all locks u need enough skills points to do so and since u didnt take rogue at Lvl 1 ur already far behind the curve and on a ranger I doubt u have much Int.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaye View Post
    Some people build multiclass characters with one or two levels of rogue but this will leave your Ranger skills one or two levels behind what they would have been. That is a significant reduction in power.
    Please don't tell people that multi-classing = serious reduction in power....both Sing;e-Class and Multi-class can be quite potent when built correctly....on the other hand UNPLANNED multi-classing is a bad idea
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 01-24-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Thanks for any input

Sotarios
    Rangers cannot pick locks or disable device. Those skills are only truly available to a class that has trapping ability. You will need to splash a level of Arti or Rogue to get that. THen you can dump skill points into Open locks and disable device. Though without a high int you will not likely have enough skill points.

Disable device is always more important to max out than open locks.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you want access to open lock and disable device, you need to take at least one level of either rogue or artificer to access those skills. See Ellis's Tempest Trapmonkey for one example.

you can add rogue but if your low level your best starting over since you should always take rogue as your first level

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Depends on your playstyle, and what's harder for you to put up with: a flawed (aka "interesting") character, or rerolling till you "get it right" (whatever that may be, tends to change over time). It is possible to get the skills you need to disable traps on a ranger by taking a rogue (or artificer) level, even if it wasn't planned in advance, but it will generally take a few levels to get "up to speed" on the skills, and it might always have issues if, say, the ranger had an 8 INT . On the other hand, while rerolling (starting a new character from scratch) gives you the chance to plan things out more carefully, there's no guarantee you won't discover something new that you would have liked to do differently in a few levels. So you may find yourself rerolling more than once if you go that route. In the end, only you can decide which course is best for you. Just remember, it's a game, the goal is to have fun Don't let any metagaming concerns get in the way of that
    Happy gaming

Community Member

Thanks for all the input folks.

I decided to take a rouge for a level at level 5 with my ranger to disable device and open locks. To be honest I never put any thought into the character in the beginning; I just took the ranger because it was the playing style I wanted at that moment. I reset all my points on the ranger to concentrate on arcane which took a hit from my defense but I can work around that I believe. I may spend a few point on tempest for defense. Any input?

Sot

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Please don't tell people that multi-classing = serious reduction in power....both Sing;e-Class and Multi-class can be quite potent when built correctly....on the other hand UNPLANNED multi-classing is a bad idea
    First of all I said significant not serious and what is wrong with it if it is true? As far as I know even one level of non-Ranger means no fifth favoured enemy and the final damage boost to all five types. That is a significant reduction in power in exchange for disarming and picking skills. Please don't tell people that multi-classing=free power increase.

Community Member

You could also start an alt account, build a pure trapper, and dual box.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Thanks for all the input folks.

I decided to take a rouge for a level at level 5 with my ranger to disable device and open locks. To be honest I never put any thought into the character in the beginning; I just took the ranger because it was the playing style I wanted at that moment. I reset all my points on the ranger to concentrate on arcane which took a hit from my defense but I can work around that I believe. I may spend a few point on tempest for defense. Any input?

Sot
    You are behind on the important skills (disable, open lock, search, spot). Ranger is a good pick here, it gets search and spot as class skills, and a lot of skill points. But, when taking your ranger levels, you will have to spend 2 skill points to raise disable or open lock by 1 point. Also, if you are doing elite quests, just those skills will not be enough, you will have to find the best possible search and disable item you can, use an int item, spend some points to boosting your search/disable, and preferably use points to skillboost. Finally, heroism potions and +1 luck bonus from voice of master help. Open lock is easier, if you fail badly, you can try again, but if you fail to disable a trap by 5, it explodes. And, if you can't find the trap, you can't even try to disable.

My suggestion is, that you keep search, disable and spot at maximum possible at all times. If that is not possible with ranger, get more rogue levels. Sweet spots for ranger levels are 6, 11, 12, I'd try to get to ranger 6 as soon as possible, and probably aim for at least 12 ranger levels by the end. So, it's up to you whether you end up with 18 ranger, 2 rogue or 11 ranger 9 rogue, that's up to you. I recommend looking at the enhancement trees available for both ranger and rogue, and go from there. A perk of more rogue levels is that you can get more points to other useful skills, UMD (really useful if you get it high enough), balance, jump. Also, rogue gets more sneak attack damage at every odd level.

Default A build you could look at

I love the Tempest/Rogue combo.

I have run this build to cap for two lives now, and it is great fun, but you can make your own modifications obviously...I don't follow the enhancements to a tee.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players

Community Member

Default Maybe too late

Don't do it unless you don't care if you can't use the skills. I normally don't post but I have many rogue splashed characters and there are a few reasons I suggest not to splash rogue for your situation:

1. You really should go rogue splash at first level to get the bonus skill points or you probably will never 'catch up' to be able to use the skills effectively.
    2. If your intelligence is not high enough you will A. not get enough skill points to keep all your skills high enough to enjoy using them and B. two of the three skills you need to be a trapper themselves are Int dependent so you will not get enough bonuses on your rolls when you try to use them.
    3. If this is your primary character (you don't have higher level toons to farm gear with) then you will not be able to find/purchase the items you need to effectively splash a trapper. You really want the items that have a '+' to the skill bonus higher than the ml of the item itself. ie. a ml 5 item that gives +7 to disable. (iirc they are mostly +2 higher than the ml and available at level 1,3,5,7,9,11, and 13. You can also, or you could prior to update 21, get +5 with no ml from the p2p quest in the market where you have to protect the guy who stands on top of the stairs)

If you just want to try out a build and can have fun failing rolls and don't mind being dropped from groups then go for the splash.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but Wiz/Rog or Bard/Rog are my favorite builds and I won't even attempt them on a new server if I can't get the gear, see #3 above, when I make a new toon to farm TP/favor on a new server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast