Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default help, crafting has made my eyes go crossed

Ok im totally lost returning player back when shards and green steel were aobut it lol ..... are there guides out there that brake this down barny style ???? all the guides I have found have explained it like I know *** they are tallking about .... what lvl should I start trying to craft ??? how time consuming/important is it on a first play through will I loose the progress on TR ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
    Ok im totally lost returning player back when shards and green steel were aobut it lol .....
    1 are there guides out there that brake this down barny style ???? all the guides I have found have explained it like I know *** they are tallking about ....
    2 what lvl should I start trying to craft ???
    3 how time consuming/important is it on a first play through will I loose the progress on TR ?
    Crafting was a neat nuance, but is effectively dead as no further development has occurred in quite some time.
    1. http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting
    is a good place to start... there are some good forum posts that have fallen into the archives.. search for Cannith Crafting..

2. start now.. Pick one toon to be your designated crafting toon
    anything you loot from chests take to the Crafting hall and deconstruct until your ingredient bag is overflowing... ps get the biggest ingredient bag you can find.. you will need it.. or 2 ... or 5....
    Deconstructing will get you ingredients and plat.
    Once you have a bunch of ingredients, craft whatever shards you can craft for the level you are at with the ingredients you have until you run out keep targeting around the 90% success rate.
    Once you run out of ingredients, take all the shards you crafted and go deconstruct them to get some ingredients back.
    Pick a couple things you want to make and keep, most crafting is just to gain XP to get to the better stuff you want.
    Find gear you want to craft on, BTA gear stays BTA when crafted on so these are ideal for passing around levelling/TR gear to alts
    Marketplace Sharn Syndicate's is a good chain to get non-named BTA stuff out of.

3. crafting XP remains through TR lives.. so you don't lose anything if/when you TR.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-23-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

Default Thanks

do I understand correctly there are two types f crafting or are they the same thing by different names ?

do I understand correctly there are two types f crafting or are they the same thing by different names ?

That part is a bit confusing as there are 2 that reference "Cannith"

1. There is the Cannith Crafting (the one you want) for making all kinds of non-named stuff with lots of variations)..
    Crafting Halls in House K and House C ( no difference in what you do there, we just have 2 of them)

2. There is also Alchemical Crafting from the Cannith raid which is a neutered Greensteel type crafting which was useful at one point for monks as it had Handwrap crafting.. not really a popular crafting anymore.
    Crafting alters in the explorer area/raids for various ingredients/tiers of crafting.

The other crafting systems have not really changed.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting
    categorizes the different crafting systems.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

There are many types of crafting actually.

Check out the DDO Wiki crafting link at the top.

There is Cannith Crafting, there is Epic Crafting, there is Green Steel crafting, and more.

Basically the game offers very little in the way of describing how these all work. It is best to look at the wiki or do some searches on the internet about how to do the crafting.

There is a few good sites that break down how you craft a green steel item in particular. Same with cannith crafting, there is even an iphone app for that at least.

But the wiki is a great place to start to get an overview of the different kinds of crafting.

Each system generally uses a different set of base ingredients, ideas, principles.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

What I can answer...
    Ok im totally lost returning player back when shards and green steel were aobut it lol .....
    First off, welcome back.

are there guides out there that brake this down barny style ????
    Not sure what "barny style" means but their are guides that break down the best recipes to use and when to switch from the BtA Shards and "regular" shards (The ones you can sell on the AH/SH). The basic premise is that you use an item purchased from the DDO store to boost your success chance with recipes that give you a 50% chance at success (Or at least the last time I looked at them). This may have changed as I have not looked at any guides sense U17.

all the guides I have found have explained it like I know *** they are tallking about ....
    You would have to be more specific what guides you are looking at. The best guide I knew about was an off site guide that I have lost the link too

what lvl should I start trying to craft ???
    Level 1 or as soon as you arrive in the Harbor. Crafting is optional though so start when you are ready.

how time consuming/important is it on a first play through
    It's not very important currently because they have never updated it or expanded on the recipes. I think most players find it most useful for levels 1-10 with weapons being the most advantageous to craft (there is other useful stuff but very little imo).

will I loose the progress on TR ?
    Currently no but that is always subject to change on Turbines part. I will add that I have not read anything stating this policy is about to change (they have too many other problems on their plate).

Community Member

Default ok thanks again

Im still not sure what will be my main this time around about 3-4 years ago I ran an AA with a rogue splash, this time im trying to decide between a rogue monk or barb, and how to effectivly splash them I am not much of one for cookie cutter builds so I was thinking aobut trying to a monlk/cleric to see hoe much the clerics stuff augments the monks self and aoe heals.

Community Member

Default is it worth it ?

I could see it for the arrows if I were an archer..... but being on wayfinder it may be viable because of the lack of an economy we have

I could see it for the arrows if I were an archer..... but being on wayfinder it may be viable because of the lack of an economy we have
    There are a few things that are still nice to have, like a 10% melee alacrity trinket,useable at level 1. But I wouldn't go out of my way to level crafting at this point. Not worth spending plat and definitely not worth spending turbine points on it.

As far as arrows, I only ever use the summoned arrows from arcane archer because you go through thousands of arrows in a few hours. You'd probably spend more time crafting than shooting.

Community Member

Default Thanks every one

last question, what would be the most viable way to either get my toons geared, or to farm plat to gear them ?

last question, what would be the most viable way to either get my toons geared, or to farm plat to gear them ?
    Adventure!

Honestly the gear you find along the way usually is more than capable of providing protection. If you are VIP there are plenty of places to make a point of adventuring in to acquire easy gear. Plat will come naturally from collecting and selling on the AH and bartenders.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Adventure!

Honestly the gear you find along the way usually is more than capable of providing protection. If you are VIP there are plenty of places to make a point of adventuring in to acquire easy gear. Plat will come naturally from collecting and selling on the AH and bartenders.

Half the problem is I am not able to tell what iis vendor trash and what I should put on eh AH yes me and 2 of the 3 people i play with are VIP them at least for this month me for the next 3 minimum.

any newbie traps we should watchout for ?

Half the problem is I am not able to tell what iis vendor trash and what I should put on eh AH yes me and 2 of the 3 people i play with are VIP them at least for this month me for the next 3 minimum.

As a general "rule" that I follow (everyone had their own set of "rules") I tend to place things with clean abilities on the AH (I don't have AS to place in the SH)
    Examples:
    • +2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Str, Con, Dex, ect...) items - I place +6 Str Bracers at a higher cost than +6 Str Belt because of the slot. Rings tend to have the highest prices in the AH. As far as price, that is directly dependent on server. Note: I usually only place +2 CHA, INT, and WIS items in the AH; the other three get deconstructed for ingredients.
    • Deadly IV or higher - Goes in the AH (if not an upgrade). Rings and Goggles tend to have a higher mark up than other slots. The "best" would be Deadly Goggles IV+ w/yellow slot. You should get some nice change for those.
    • Resist +2 to +6 - People need appropriate level saves, especially for evasion builds. Cloak/Ring seem to be my best sellers.
    • Low level (< lvl 6) DB robes/outfits/docents. This is around the level people first are introduced to NPC's who can kill you with a single spell. Most veterans will have this item but veterans make alt's or mess around on different servers
    • 3% Double strike on Shields - Usually for druids, they sell but slowly on the servers I am on.
    • Fortification 100% - I do not sell anything less than this.
    • Speed V or better - Players like their speed. This is equivalent to Expeditious Retreat for caster purposes.
    • Named loot - I tend to sell anything out of the low level harbor quests to vendors; Muckbane (sp?) is one of the few exceptions. Otherwise if it isn't an upgrade it goes on the AH.
    • Weapons - Low level weapons with (grrr...forgot the suffix) that makes weapons immune to rust monsters and puddings. Preferable blunt as it makes also fighting puddings easier Weapons that bypass DR (Good, Silver, Cold Iron, Silverflame, ect) I will often sell if ML is decent (16 or lower "usually"). Also in the same line of thought, Paralyzing, Smiting, Banishing go to the AH if not upgrades.
    • Collectables - Although I don't sell this stuff often, occasionally (rarely) I will clear my bags of the stuff. Sometimes it sells, sometimes it doesn't but it beats growing dust in my bags.
    • Caster equipment "that has synergy" - Examples: Increases Fire/Cold/Acid damage with a corresponding Fire/Cold/Acid crit chance.

This list is not inclusive by any means. To clarify, "clean" means their is only a suffix or prefix on the item. After playing(selling) in the AH or looking for upgrades (if you choose to do such a thing) you will quickly find what players want because they will be the same things you are looking for. There was a post around when I started (U9) about buying/selling in the AH, but if it still exists it is probably on page #200+ by now.

Just post everything on the AH. Pay attention to what sells. You will learn in short order what the best sellers on your server are.

Sell everything to the vendor, or better yet if you want a crafter deconstruct everything that comes back from the AH as unsold.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Community Member

Default Crafting Shards of Potential

I could use some crafting help. I am getting good at making simple things, and now I want to make items above the max level.

I see lots of references to shards of potential, and how to use them to achieve this, However I can not find an actual recipe for them in the bound shard book.

What exactly is the title of the shards of potential and what string do you search for in the book search to pull up the recipe?

If you can't make them, then exactly where do you get them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Abusaru View Post
    I could use some crafting help. I am getting good at making simple things, and now I want to make items above the max level.

I see lots of references to shards of potential, and how to use them to achieve this, However I can not find an actual recipe for them in the bound shard book.

What exactly is the title of the shards of potential and what string do you search for in the book search to pull up the recipe?

If you can't make them, then exactly where do you get them from?
    To make a shard of potential type in 'pot' and search. It will list them (3 types for each '+' - one for each of the three schools of crafting).
    It doesn't matter what school you craft it from/for, they're all the same. It only lists the three types because your crafting levels will probably not be the same for each school.
    The main difference with crafting the shards of potential is the device doesn't look in your crafting bags for materials. You have to remove the essences from the bag and drag them into the machine.

Essences, for shards of potential? Don't be silly. Use crude vials from the trap parts vendor.

You might not find the recipe because your crafting level is too low, the recipe book auto selects the level for you based on your highest crafting school level however, you can manually change this if you wish to look at a high level recipe for later.

Stoner81.

Community Member

Default Still having problems...

Thanks for the help.

Searching on "pot" yields spot, and potency, but not potential.

Is the problem that my level is too low? Character level is 9, and crafting is 19/13/18.

How do I manually enable it so I can at least see what level I need to be?

Yes, the system only normally displays shards you can make. Look at the top and it will say something like 'level 1 to 29" replace 29 with 150 to see all the crafting recipies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast