Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Like the idea of a "1.5-5 hour" quest as a one-off.
    IIRC, Tempest Spine, VoN, Titan, and ADQ pre-raids used to be that lenght when they arrived. Lots of puzzle quests also take that long until someones find out the proper way to finish it (Pit, Shadow Crypt, Tomb of Tormented, Inferno of the Damned, Crucible...).

So, I don't see it as much far-fetched from classic DDO. Just because it have not been used with the recent packs, does not means it never happened before.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuel View Post
    No astral shards for ship buffs. Let this be one, (and really the only and last) thing that is not contaminated with the astral shard garbage in the game. How about letting players unlock stuff with skill or perseverance, rather than their wallets. Something, anything.
    Defenitely feel the same. I think most people would love to work on their guild lvls if it enables them to buy extra long lasting buffs for the ship. And ship buffs are already partly bought with astral shards anyway in many cases, so its not as if Turbine doesn't get theirs already.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Devs just make sure the mobs have see invisibility. None of this invisibility and zerge to the end nonsense. If it is going to be a 5 hour quest so be it although after running it a few times it will be fun to zerge through I would imagine just no invis and run please. I can not wait to party speed zerge this quest have to get a few of my dps type characters ready to see how fast can be completed.
    100% agree.

I'm in favor of anything that makes players actually play content, not skip it. That doesn't mean you can't go fast, just means you don't get to simply avoid everything (the exception being a Rogue).
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Default Long quest - why not!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Like the idea of a "1.5-5 hour" quest as a one-off.

Some people won't like it, that's fine. It's not designed for that section of the playerbase, just like those enormous wilderness areas that are zerged through by the vast majority of players but are loved by a small minority.

Unlike the wilderness areas, however, it doesn't sound like the people that don't like super-long quests will be forced to run it. (Please don't gate any future content behind Haunted Halls for this reason).

Now for the million dollar question. What makes the quest take so long?

Is it a lot of ground that needs to be covered (ala Proof is in the Poison, Ritual Sacrifice, Coalessence Chamber), fights against large numbers of resilient mobs with extreme HP (ala most EE content, particularly Caught in the Web), timed events (ala Devil Assault or in a different way, Caught in the Web), confusing layouts that take forever to work your way through (ala Inferno of the Damned or Shadow Crypt*), complex puzzles (Titan preraid) or is it something else?

* - yes both of those quests take 5 minutes or less if you know them but both also take a first time group over an hour.

I also think a long quest as a one off (or is that a 2 off with WGU?) is fine, after all it should be more or less "endgame" for now (lvl 28), so it should feel like something different, right? Off course players must get a feeling of being rewarded for tackling such a giant dungeon though, so that its worth preparing a guild run or having to set up a LFM quite a while up front to be able to fill the group before you TR your character to become even better!

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Haunted Halls is Epic, CR 28.

The optionals will have specific loot (but not for this round).

And yep, we're discussing guild ship buffs as well. Haunted Halls is a specific thing (don't expect longer runs as a standard), but I expect we'll take a hard look at buffs and durations when we update guild airships in U22.
    Yes. please make ship buffs six hours like the guild augments and don't disappear from death. Especially the experience shrine.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Devs just make sure the mobs have see invisibility. None of this invisibility and zerge to the end nonsense. If it is going to be a 5 hour quest so be it although after running it a few times it will be fun to zerge through I would imagine just no invis and run please. I can not wait to party speed zerge this quest have to get a few of my dps type characters ready to see how fast can be completed.
    Please stick to D&D. Only mobs that should have see Invisibility! It's all about proper mob displacement. A few orange names here and there, red names and maybe even a purple boss.
    But something that cannot always be instant killed.

But doing it by creative thinking instead of okay all mobs have death ward and all mobs have see invisibility!!! And not by here's one guy with 1million HP...

The optionals will have specific loot (but not for this round).

And yep, we're discussing guild ship buffs as well. Haunted Halls is a specific thing (don't expect longer runs as a standard), but I expect we'll take a hard look at buffs and durations when we update guild airships in U22.
    Can you look at the buffing process as well as durations?

These layouts are totally nuts, as if they are designed to inconvenience us. The "click here for all loaded buffs" would be ideal, but a relatively sane layout (with ONE zone) would be a reasonable substitute.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderone View Post
    Yes. please make ship buffs six hours like the guild augments and don't disappear from death. Especially the experience shrine.
    I would go another way:

- Permanent buffs (no timer)
    - Lose all buffs on death
    - Lose all buffs on logout (with a 15 minute grace period for re-logging, similar to the Pendant of Time)

This way you still go to the ship for buffs every session, but now instead of every hour you just do it once when you log in and then you're good to go for the rest of your session. Or until you die. Or run shroud. heh.

That's disappointing. I was under impression it would be in upper teens range.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Default 5 hours...

and the last 5 minutes of that 5 hour quest will be having to protect Coyle and for every moncher in the party his hp get cut in half (and he starts with 10hp).

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    That's disappointing. I was under impression it would be in upper teens range.
    That would have been an incredibly dumb idea. So you think designing a huge quest that will be done once ever per character for favor is a good idea? Because it wouldn't be ran for gear or XP at that level being so long.

Please ADD low light and torches.. for scary factor!
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

It would be cool if there were little safe haven/towns/camps you could log out in and come back to an hour or 2 into the long quest to restart where you left off (maybe with a group of buddies). But you can't get there without redoing a quest so you gotta keep going, teleport out, or play through the last quest Backwards! Sort of like a quest with a prequest (Xorian Cipher, Von3), except before you head into the next quest, there's a place with a bank, and AH, and a tavern/vendor you can take a break at.

That would be fun.

This would make it feel like real D&D, which you're going for with the length here.

Quote Originally Posted by merridyan View Post
    That would have been an incredibly dumb idea. So you think designing a huge quest that will be done once ever per character for favor is a good idea? Because it wouldn't be ran for gear or XP at that level being so long.
    Once per character? I'm looking at doing this one and the new wilderness area multiple times!!!
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Time wise, the estimations are just that. Your build, group composition and tactics will change that time. I am guessing 1.5 hours to be the average, 5 to be the first time, and anything less would be zerging. Now if 1.5 is zerging, I am impressed by their design.

I am really pleased they finally put this together in this fashion. My hopes:

We get threads/stickies setup during each release for focused feedback.

We see daily dev/qa activity from employees on the server for feedback and troubleshooting minor issues (bugs blocking progression, stuck spots, etc)

We get a release schedule of some kind, or a calendar of up times for the server so we can put together a play schedule. or test schedule as it were

As previewers, I would suggest bugging everything. Placeholders make it to live frequently enough to warrant our involvement in bugging every detail we find. Just sayin. We could make threads for the categories of bug, like stuck spot, broken ladders, bad text, placeholder art, odd mechanic, etc. Obviously due diligence, bug through tickets first, but forum tracking is useful for those running around wondering if it is recorded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    Time wise, the estimations are just that. Your build, group composition and tactics will change that time. I am guessing 1.5 hours to be the average, 5 to be the first time, and anything less would be zerging. Now if 1.5 is zerging, I am impressed by their design.
    From what I understand, the 1.5 hours is the first run through. After that, you unlock the extra bits of story that weren't there before. This is where all the optionals and such come in, and that is when it can take up to 5 hours. I assume it will drop down in time, but even zerging, it would be cool if it took over an hour.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Interesting.

I just wish y'all had done this a year or so ago, before my supply of Give A Damn was totally depleted. Now... I just see this and the Player's Council has very measured attempts at getting the players back on your side, not to mention things that should have been done years ago. I see them as maybe being five years too late in coming.

Am I being needlessly cynical - time will tell. But, at this moment in time, I don't necessarily see this as a reason to celebrate. I'm seeing it more as desperation measures - and wondering just how bad things have gotten that y'all are taking the recent steps you've taken.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I would go another way:

- Permanent buffs (no timer)
    - Lose all buffs on death
    - Lose all buffs on logout (with a 15 minute grace period for re-logging, similar to the Pendant of Time)

This way you still go to the ship for buffs every session, but now instead of every hour you just do it once when you log in and then you're good to go for the rest of your session. Or until you die. Or run shroud. heh.
    /signed. This, and the single-zone ship. The only separate zone I would like to see on the ship would be cabins aka player housing.

Greetz,
    Red Orm

While the devs are in a sharing mood . . . can we be told if a certain controversial developer is still working on DDO?

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    Placeholders make it to live frequently enough to warrant our involvement in bugging every detail we find.
    This is the bit bugging me the most right now: placeholder items and values ARE making it into the real game way too often.
    Please, PLEASE insert real items as soon as possible? I've seen tons of items I and/or others would have loved to comment on *before* they came to life, both uber random loot and vendor-junk named loot.
    Please, whenever even remotely possible, use values and items that you plan to use on life. We can deal with half-finished rewards just as well as with half-finished rooms and monsters.

Greetz,
    Red Orm

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast