Community Member

Default looking for a mentor (returning after 3 years+)

I could really use some one with alot of know how on this game, I just need to pick their brain about some ingame stuff and what resorces are uptodate ect. I dont want a hand holder just some one I can re learn the basics from that can keep me from super gimping my toons and to shed some light on the enhancement trees as they are 100% new to me. If some one has the time Ild be VERY greatful I came back with a group of friends looking for a new MMO and I pitched this one so I just wanna relearn the ins and outs so I can effectivly guide them we play on Wayfinder due to the decreased lag of the server ( on of my friends plays on an older system so a server hop really isnt an option and the DDO university is not active on Wayfinder) thanks alot and have a wonderful day.

Quote Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
    I could really use some one with alot of know how on this game, I just need to pick their brain about some ingame stuff and what resorces are uptodate ect. I dont want a hand holder just some one I can re learn the basics from that can keep me from super gimping my toons and to shed some light on the enhancement trees as they are 100% new to me. If some one has the time Ild be VERY greatful I came back with a group of friends looking for a new MMO and I pitched this one so I just wanna relearn the ins and outs so I can effectivly guide them we play on Wayfinder due to the decreased lag of the server ( on of my friends plays on an older system so a server hop really isnt an option and the DDO university is not active on Wayfinder) thanks alot and have a wonderful day.
    I'd be happy to help out as I can. Which server you on?
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Morning Lord Warlock
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Asking your questions here, on the forum, will probably provide you with a wider and deeper range of legitimate advice. Presenting a list of questions may help focus your goals and save some time. I realize it lacks the personal touch, but you'll probably get more information that way. And having a guide in-game is always nice.

Oh, and welcome back! I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT:

Forgot to give the obligatory "links":

DDOWiki - Best general game resource.
    Ron Hiler's Character Planner (direct download link) - Don't build a character without it.
    Wanesa's DDO Pre-Loader - The easiest way to speed up DDO.
    Last edited by sebastianosmith; 01-21-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Default Thanks guys

I am on Wayfinder to answer the question on my server, and the preloader will help my friend alot thanks.

Ive been digging alot on the wikki but it seems to be written more for the veteran DDO player.

Basicly the run down I am looking for are things like

1. what classes really need to splash

2. What classes are viable as pures

3.any advice for first plythroughs commonly missed by newbies.

4. most balanced (carry my buddys through hard portions type) char.

5. prioritys of lvling for the classes and as a toon as a whole. So some big open ended questions but these will really help on the basic concept I have to build off of all advice and opinions are welcome.

Thansk much

on an added note I am VIP and will keep it for the suration of the time I play, I figure it gives me entertainment I can help keep it going :-) so im not sure if that will play into this at all, I also may be getting 2 of them vip on a month to month basis and was wondering if there is a way to do it month to month and not 3 months at a time.

Thanks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Asking your questions here, on the forum, will probably provide you with a wider and deeper range of legitimate advice. Presenting a list of questions may help focus your goals and save some time. I realize it lacks the personal touch, but you'll probably get more information that way. And having a guide in-game is always nice.

Oh, and welcome back! I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT:

Forgot to give the obligatory "links":

DDOWiki - Best general game resource.
    Ron Hiler's Character Planner (direct download link) - Don't build a character without it.
    Wanesa's DDO Pre-Loader - The easiest way to speed up DDO.

Its REALLLLLLLYYYYY odd coming back seeing all the things I remember and not having my 32 point AA any more lol but alas its actually pretty fun relearning it so far.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default new

Take a look at the link in my signature for some good reading on some of the best builds in the game since the New Enhancements where released. Lots of good ideas in there.

Battlehawke
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Most of the players on Wayfinder are very friendly and will help you if you have any questions. But it's easier to get help if you ask them directly instead of using one of the public chat channels, as the channels are nearly never used and therefore nearly never read too.

Community Member

Default Thanks

Ill book mark the build link. As far as the people once i got to harbor it was guild invite spams but not much convo think you could pouint me and my group of 4-6 other people to a training guild on that server ?

I'll be on in about 10 minutes (Erzmagier) but you can also ask someone from Haus Feuerfuchs or Hunters of Wayfinder or House Cayanmedin or Teaparty of Teabags to get advice or a guild invite. The invite would be better as there are more people online who could help.

Community Member

Default Im actualy on the forum ar work

The issue with a guild invite is we all have alot of alts trying to find what best suits our play style (and im evolving round all of them because I'll play pretty much anything but a caster)

Community Member

Default are predetermined paths viable

I know they would not be optimal but would they be doable for a first play through before TRing andbuilding it out to full potential ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
    I know they would not be optimal but would they be doable for a first play through before TRing andbuilding it out to full potential ?
    No. Definitely do not use the predetermined paths. They're pretty aweful. The developers should really improve these. Anyways, just have your friends think about what kind of character they want to play, and not what the flavor of the month build is. If you build a decent character, most builds can work for most of the game (except possibly epic elites, but then you can TR later on if/when thats important), then you can ask for build advice here or in the class forums.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

Community Member

Default kk

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    No. Definitely do not use the predetermined paths. They're pretty aweful. The developers should really improve these. Anyways, just have your friends think about what kind of character they want to play, and not what the flavor of the month build is. If you build a decent character, most builds can work for most of the game (except possibly epic elites, but then you can TR later on if/when thats important), then you can ask for build advice here or in the class forums.

On out first play through i doubt well do any of the real ingame stuff call it a a full game tutorial lol I think only a couple of us are trying to build out out own toons, Im trying to figure ou the best way to survive as a pure DPS barb currently casters are crushing me ..... and Im wanting to roll a monk/cleric as an off healing DPS but havent figure out exactly how to make it work so any input on these would be great ...... the other guy whos doing his own is running a rouge which i ran back when i played the last time I ran it Dex/int which still seems viable so him I can guide through the basics but I am lost once it gets to enhancements and the like