Post Play DDO on Ubuntu

I have figured out how to play DDO on a Ubuntu machine using wine. If anyone is interested please visit site gidgamoe.simplesite.com to view complete instructions for installation of DDO on Ubuntu.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gidgamoe View Post
    I have figured out how to play DDO on a Ubuntu machine using wine. If anyone is interested please visit site gidgamoe.simplesite.com to view complete instructions for installation of DDO on Ubuntu.
    Well, not like there aren't a bunch of instructions out there already, and there's more than one way to do it anyway.

What I find amusing is that, DDO loads much faster and doesn't need the preloader if run through Wine under Linux. Even if it's loaded from the Windows partition in a multiboot system, and does need the preloader when run under Windows on that same system. Oh well, wasn't this kind of I/O performance weirdness first encountered on some IBM mainframe systems, way back when they first started doing virtualization...?

Oh yes,
    Code:
    $ lsb_release -d
    Description:    Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
    Last edited by mna; 01-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015 & 2016.

Community Member

Thanks for the link! I played around with the instructions for a while this evening as I had nothing better to do, and I'm sick of the long load/DC problem running on Windows, however I hit a snag on the very last step...

For some reason, I can't view very much of my C: Drive when I'm trying to tell PyLOTRO which folder to use to boot up DDO. I want to browse to "Program Files (x86)" but it's nowhere to be found [I have an option for "Program Files" but it only gives me 3 subfolders, none of which are useful]..do you have any advice for a Ubuntu newbie?

Thanks again!

If you figure out how to keep it from crashing due to Awesomonium, let me know. I used to play exclusively on Ubuntu 12.04, and recently had to switch to a dual-boot setup so i could play on windows because the crashes became CONSTANT. I had some audio and zone-in problems, too, but I could live with those.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19678 for the problem that I was seeing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
    Thanks for the link! I played around with the instructions for a while this evening as I had nothing better to do, and I'm sick of the long load/DC problem running on Windows, however I hit a snag on the very last step...

For some reason, I can't view very much of my C: Drive when I'm trying to tell PyLOTRO which folder to use to boot up DDO. I want to browse to "Program Files (x86)" but it's nowhere to be found [I have an option for "Program Files" but it only gives me 3 subfolders, none of which are useful]..do you have any advice for a Ubuntu newbie?
    I never even tried to make PyLOTRO do that part. I just made a symlink.

Code:
    ${USER}@${HOST}:~$ ls -gG .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Turbine
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 41 tammi 11  2013 .wine/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine -> /mnt/Windows7/Program Files (x86)/Turbine
    ... actually, could it be that you forgot that you have a SEPARATE mock-Windows "Program Files" in your personal Ubuntu home directory, when you use Wine?

So, command Ubuntu to make that link with " ln -s '/wherever/you/put/your/Windows/disk/Program Files (x86)/Turbine' '~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine' " and it'll be a bit easier... ln for link, -s for symbolic instead of hard link, link target, link filename; mind the spaces and other special characters, quote marks (or \) help with that.

Oh, wait, you'll need to mount your Windows disk first if it isn't already mounted, too. ... actually I'm not sure what's the preferred way to do that these days, I just do it like I've been doing since 1996 or so.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Egeus View Post
    If you figure out how to keep it from crashing due to Awesomonium, let me know. I used to play exclusively on Ubuntu 12.04, and recently had to switch to a dual-boot setup so i could play on windows because the crashes became CONSTANT. I had some audio and zone-in problems, too, but I could live with those.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19678 for the problem that I was seeing.
    Hm, I have been seeing that occasionally too. Not nearly every time though. Still crashes less than when running under Windows, and doesn't take the rest of the system with it.

Have to see if I have something in my Wine config that'd explain it mostly working for me...

Thanks again!
    ok I just went into the option for pylotro try this "/home/yourname/turbine/ddounlimited" then press ok. it should be blue highlighted.
    I actually placed a copy of the Turbine folder in the C: drive just to make sure that it linked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Well, not like there aren't a bunch of instructions out there already, and there's more than one way to do it anyway.

What I find amusing is that, DDO loads much faster and doesn't need the preloader if run through Wine under Linux. Even if it's loaded from the Windows partition in a multiboot system, and does need the preloader when run under Windows on that same system. Oh well, wasn't this kind of I/O performance weirdness first encountered on some IBM mainframe systems, way back when they first started doing virtualization...?

Oh yes,
    Code:
    $ lsb_release -d
    Description:    Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
    I tried running just under Ubuntu without pylotro loader it took 9 minutes to load the login page then another few minutes to load the splash screen and crashed more often than with the pylotro loader.
    I played again with friends for the first time with pylotro loader and it did not crash even in a lvl 20 instance with lots of monsters and explosions.
    as for instructions out there most of them are for those who already know how to load ddo under Ubuntu. I made it simple and took the best of what they had to say and put it in an easier context.
    If your a Ubuntu master then codo's to you the rest of us aren't.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    ... actually, could it be that you forgot that you have a SEPARATE mock-Windows "Program Files" in your personal Ubuntu home directory, when you use Wine?

So, command Ubuntu to make that link with " ln -s '/wherever/you/put/your/Windows/disk/Program Files (x86)/Turbine' '~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine' " and it'll be a bit easier... ln for link, -s for symbolic instead of hard link, link target, link filename; mind the spaces and other special characters, quote marks (or \) help with that.
    The Mock Windows "Program Files" seems to be the problem I'm struggling with.

I tried this command (is it safe to say the first one should read: '/C:/Program Files (x86)/Turbine') and received the following message:
    "ln: failed to create symbolic link `~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine': No such file or directory"

I am assuming I have my drive mounted properly, since I have an option to 'unmount' my drive

Community Member

ok I just went into the option for pylotro try this "/home/yourname/turbine/ddounlimited" then press ok. it should be blue highlighted.
    I actually placed a copy of the Turbine folder in the C: drive just to make sure that it linked properly.
    The problem is that when I hit the option for pylotro, turbine and ddounlimited are both nowhere to be found, regardless of where I search :/

Community Member

If your a Ubuntu master then codo's to you the rest of us aren't.
    BTW, Ubuntu isn't the only Linux distribution that DDO runs on, and I've been told some others would be easier to set up too. (As in, was told so in in-game chat the other month.)

Oh well. If I had a whole system's worth of spare parts at hand I might try a few more things, too.

Community Member

The problem is that when I hit the option for pylotro, turbine and ddounlimited are both nowhere to be found, regardless of where I search :/
    In that case... if you know you have actually installed the game already... could be that it's on a disk (partition) that's not currently mounted.

There's probably a newfangled mouse-using graphical tool for fixing that kind of a thing these days too, but I don't know what it'd be called, especially in a mostly-default installation.

But, if you run the commands "cat /proc/partitions", and "mount" (no other arguments this time), you could find some in the former that aren't listed in the latter. In that case, "sudo mount /dev/sdXX /whatever/directory" can help you to get it mounted until next reboot (or appropriate 'umount' command) so you can check what's there. You need to do something else to get them mounted permanently.

Oh, "sudo blkid" should also be helpful, it should list all known "drives" in your system, those with "ntfs" are likely to be Windows drives.
    Last edited by mna; 01-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Community Member

The Mock Windows "Program Files" seems to be the problem I'm struggling with.

I tried this command (is it safe to say the first one should read: '/C:/Program Files (x86)/Turbine')
    Well, not really "safe" - it WILL be correct if, and only if, you have mounted your Windows "C:" drive as /C: in Linux.

I keep mine at /mnt/Windows7 for example.

Unix-like systems such as Linux, including Ubuntu, have no concept of "drive letter" and have an unified tree structure. You can put a regular file or directory named "C:" anywhere in there and mount a disk at it... doesn't mean you should or should not, just that you can. (Most of the time, mounting disks at anything but directories isn't likely to work very well.)

and received the following message:
    "ln: failed to create symbolic link `~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine': No such file or directory"

I am assuming I have my drive mounted properly, since I have an option to 'unmount' my drive
    Well, the error means you don't have the directory structure .wine/drive_c/Program Files currently in your home directory, so it can't write there. Did you use a non-default Wine prefix, possibly? In that case, adjust accordingly. (Or create the intermediate directories manually first. If you haven't run Wine at all yet, this should be the thing - Wine startup usually creates those. Wine being the Windows compatibility layer we're using...)

You can have multiple drives mounted in Linux and Unix, and some distributions' default configuration can get you up to 7 different ones "out of the box" (well, partitions/logical volumes in that case) easily. (And it's very difficult to do anything if you don't have something mounted at / already.)

So, you probably should check that you see the appropriate files in some path.

And, making a symbolic link doesn't check the link's target anyway, some applications (such as Firefox) use that feature internally to do "interesting" things. While you have Firefox running in Ubuntu, inside the Firefox profile directory there'll probably be at least one link that points to something that definitely is not an existing file on disk.
    Last edited by mna; 01-20-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Community Member

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the game up and running (sort of). Wine doesn't seem to want to use my graphics card, and trying to increase the resolution crashes the game, but if I'm ever in need of a study break (Ubuntu is my "be productive O/S") I can at least function, on very low graphics lol

I put my entire Turbine folder in the documents folder then linked to it there in pylotro linking system.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the game up and running (sort of). Wine doesn't seem to want to use my graphics card, and trying to increase the resolution crashes the game, but if I'm ever in need of a study break (Ubuntu is my "be productive O/S") I can at least function, on very low graphics lol
    Open up dash then type in update to get the updater to load to see if they have updated your graphics card for Ubuntu. Ubuntu usually tells you that your graphics card needs a proprietary driver to load properly. I have one running on my Ubuntu machine and it is way better than the one under Windows 8.1. Look in the upper right hand corner next to the time if there is a green card looking thing there then you have an update waiting for install. Use the "recommended" driver it will work the best.

Community Member

Open up dash then type in update to get the updater to load to see if they have updated your graphics card for Ubuntu. Ubuntu usually tells you that your graphics card needs a proprietary driver to load properly. I have one running on my Ubuntu machine and it is way better than the one under Windows 8.1. Look in the upper right hand corner next to the time if there is a green card looking thing there then you have an update waiting for install. Use the "recommended" driver it will work the best.
    My graphics card has the proprietary driver up and running, but for some reason it isn't jiving with ddo/wine. Next time I'm on Ubuntu I will check to see if it needs an update, but I'm thinking my problem lies somewhere between my graphics card and it integrating properly with wine

Community Member

My graphics card has the proprietary driver up and running, but for some reason it isn't jiving with ddo/wine. Next time I'm on Ubuntu I will check to see if it needs an update, but I'm thinking my problem lies somewhere between my graphics card and it integrating properly with wine
    Well, there's a chance you may need an additional component/DLL for Wine to integrate with your graphics card properly.

There's a PhysX component available for Nvidia cards, for example. You can use "winetricks" to install it.

(Oh, and DirectX libraries with Wine can be a bit of a problem too. Also, some people have gotten better results with a non-default version of Wine itself, but I thought the one included in current Ubuntu repositories by default was good enough...?)

W** is that site in the OP? Some kind of spam attempt? I had to close the tab before I stabbed my eyes out.

Setting up linux to run DDO generally takes all of six terminal commands.

Edit: A readable method for debian, may work for Ubuntu: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...n-Debian-linux
    Last edited by cdr; 01-25-2014 at 03:54 PM.