Default Low fps in eveningstar? Max GPU usage 30% max cpu usage 30%...

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    Any ideas?
    Try disk access. It is insane at points. I copied the game back over to the flash drive to do the ice runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    Try disk access. It is insane at points. I copied the game back over to the flash drive to do the ice runs.
    How do you monitor disk access?

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    How do you monitor disk access?
    You can use the task manager. There are options for it. Or you can watch your disk activity light go nuts when you hit some of the stutter points in Eveningstar.

You can use the task manager. There are options for it. Or you can watch your disk activity light go nuts when you hit some of the stutter points in Eveningstar.
    I see. Using various other tools as well to monitor disk usage, I've determined that's not the issue.

The fps loss occurs in larger open public areas... Again, cpu and gpu both aren't being used to their full potential.

For example: I can go into the vale, with graphics maxed at 1080p and rock 60 fps constant at 65% gpu usage. Eveningstar public area I get anywhere from 15-45 fps, at 15-30% gpu & cpu usage.

Well, not knowing the specifics of CPU, GPU, PC form factor, OS or anything other than low hardware utilization in Eveningstar, I can suggest a few generic "Could Bees".

1. Your CPU is bottlenecking. Maxing out at 30% in indicative of fully utilizing "X" of "N" cores, usually half or fewer of them. DDO is not particularly well multithreaded and very CPU dependent. I'd venture a guess that the festival atmospheric effects are at fault here. Open up the Options dialog to Advanced Graphics and disable Video Effect Post Processing. If that fixes the problem, I'd suggest the usual driver updates, turning down various graphics settings, disabling stencil shadows, etc.

2. Something weird is going on and your CPU is being throttled down by the power options. This can happen on laptops and their kin when they get too hot. One would think that this would happen no matter your location, but Eveningstar has been very busy as of late and tracking more traffic means more processing power. Since I don't know what form factor you have, I can't suggest what to do about this other than keep the machine cool.

3. You've recently updated the video driver and the latest version has a strange interaction with DDO. This happens more often than anyone likes to admit, and not just with DDO. Try rolling back to a previous version.

That's about all the general advice I can offer given the circumstance.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Task Manager has no such checking on disk access. As of Win7, use Resource Monitor.

Motherboard IO could be your bottleneck be it timing related or IO throughput.

Does your RAM do you have in your system? Is it clocked to be a multiple of your mobo IO frequency?
    How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM does your graphics card have? Is it an on board or dedicated?

How fast is your hard drive? What is its connection to the system?

Post your system specks (or even your directx diags) then we can speculate much much better.

Also how much **** you've installed on your system can cause slow downs. Aka the OS may need massive cleaning. Yeap, that is still a thing with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Task Manager has no such checking on disk access.
    Try "View" -> "Select Columns" and you can watch the IO activity by process.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Try "View" -> "Select Columns" and you can watch the IO activity by process.
    IO is not solely disk access. You will have a lot of false positives if you believe otherwise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

As stated, as of Windows 7 use "Resource Monitor".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Well, not knowing the specifics of CPU, GPU, PC form factor, OS or anything other than low hardware utilization in Eveningstar, I can suggest a few generic "Could Bees".

1. Your CPU is bottlenecking. Maxing out at 30% in indicative of fully utilizing "X" of "N" cores, usually half or fewer of them. DDO is not particularly well multithreaded and very CPU dependent. I'd venture a guess that the festival atmospheric effects are at fault here. Open up the Options dialog to Advanced Graphics and disable Video Effect Post Processing. If that fixes the problem, I'd suggest the usual driver updates, turning down various graphics settings, disabling stencil shadows, etc.

2. Something weird is going on and your CPU is being throttled down by the power options. This can happen on laptops and their kin when they get too hot. One would think that this would happen no matter your location, but Eveningstar has been very busy as of late and tracking more traffic means more processing power. Since I don't know what form factor you have, I can't suggest what to do about this other than keep the machine cool.

3. You've recently updated the video driver and the latest version has a strange interaction with DDO. This happens more often than anyone likes to admit, and not just with DDO. Try rolling back to a previous version.

That's about all the general advice I can offer given the circumstance.

Best of luck!
    I would bet all my hard earned that the "Could be" in fact is 3.

I bought a new build 4 months ago with 8-core AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2GHz and Asus Radeon R9 280X and was running around 100fps jumping in to 130's at highest and this was in eveningstar. However a little over a month ago the exact same thing happened to me. My fps went all the way down to around 10 - 15 max and kept on freezing on regular cycles for a few seconds or so. After I did clean boot and disabled all the background programs the freezing stopped and the fps raised to around 20 (15 - 30 max) but is still nowhere near where it should be and my GPU is working between 10% to 20%, peaking to 50% the most highest while my CPU is working at 8%

It is definitively a problem in their end and most likely related to the driver updates, DX11 etc. I have no issues with any of the other games I keep playing and my fps with graphically the most demanding games like Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider or BF4 is around 50 to 70, never dropping down below 40.