Default Epic Antique Greataxe vs Cleaver: which one's better?

Hi guys

I have this two weapons in my bard and I'm not quite sure of which one to use. Obviously, the antique greataxe it's better in some DR cases, but for a general use, consider this:

Antique Greataxe:
    Base damage: 2[1d20]
    Bonus: +7 (it has the old red augment for that, I might change it for a mabar one and downgrade this for a +6)
    Various effects: Force burst, Righteous, Metalline

Cleaver: (without any upgrade yet)
    Base damage: 2.5[2d8]
    Bonus: +7
    Various effects: Hemorrhaging, Limb Chopper, Cursespewing (the way they changed this to deal additional damage for a while with vorpal hits is nice), Doublestrike.

Now the question is, in my case in particular, which one is better? If we consider the weapons by themselves, cleaver is better, but the antique greataxe has a slightly better base [W] damage... and we'd have to consider my character uses this attacks (as often as possible):

Cleave: +1[W]
    Great cleave: +2[W]
    Frozen fury: +1.5[W]
    Momentum swing: +5[W]
    Lay waste: +5[W]

So... would this be enough to make the antique greataxe better than an un-upgraded cleaver?
    Kaldrick (Wiz PM 20), Aurala (FvS evoker 20), Kyrale (Bard Spellsinger 20) - Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Farayon View Post
    Does anyone else wonder if Turbine are secretly being funded by the government to run psychological tests on us by adding completely absurd, inexplicable changes to the game?

Why not use both and switch situationally? Thats what I do on my bard, need to break the dr and if its high dr I use the EATGA other stuffs the cleaver, when I get the favour and can upgrade to use my triket with it well I will use the cleaver more.

I think that would greatly depend on what you are using it against.

This will dictate which "extra" damage is applicable, or if the ability to bypass damage reduction makes a significant difference.

To me this is kind of like asking if which is better between a 7 Iron and a putter in golf. Both have places where they are "best", and while you can putt with a 7 Iron it really is not best for that job.

I'd vote Cleaver, better weapon enchantments, more consistent weapon die (d8 vs d20), and doublestrike 6% on normal attacks. Breaking DR is pretty uncommon at this point in most endgame content. Cleaver is also quite easy to upgrade into its set assuming you have a quality planar focus.
    Degenerate Matter
    Argonnessen

Grizzt
    Ivandria
    Sazcir
    Halania
    Tazaras
    Karjya
    Shintao Monk Henshin Mystic Mechanic Artificer Tempest

Archmage
    (Retired)
    Air Savant
    (Retired)

For most of my normal running around on my Barbarian, I use an upgraded Cleaver with a Focus on most things, but if I'm blitzing or in a Fury I usually swap to EAGA as the crits are higher because of the wider base dice.

In short, use both, but Cleaver is usually your primary.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adken View Post
    Hi guys

I have this two weapons in my bard and I'm not quite sure of which one to use. Obviously, the antique greataxe it's better in some DR cases, but for a general use, consider this:

Antique Greataxe:
    Base damage: 2[1d20]
    Bonus: +7 (it has the old red augment for that, I might change it for a mabar one and downgrade this for a +6)
    Various effects: Force burst, Righteous, Metalline

Cleaver: (without any upgrade yet)
    Base damage: 2.5[2d8]
    Bonus: +7
    Various effects: Hemorrhaging, Limb Chopper, Cursespewing (the way they changed this to deal additional damage for a while with vorpal hits is nice), Doublestrike.

Now the question is, in my case in particular, which one is better? If we consider the weapons by themselves, cleaver is better, but the antique greataxe has a slightly better base [W] damage... and we'd have to consider my character uses this attacks (as often as possible):

Cleave: +1[W]
    Great cleave: +2[W]
    Frozen fury: +1.5[W]
    Momentum swing: +5[W]
    Lay waste: +5[W]

So... would this be enough to make the antique greataxe better than an un-upgraded cleaver?
    The non upgraded version of the cleaver is still better in every situation than the antique greataxe except when needing to break dr, which in this current end game isn't going to be often. And if at any point you do upgrade the cleaver all the way than the antique becomes useless in all situations.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 01-17-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Wait.. You plan to play a melle bard.. Wait.. You plan to play a bard.. Ewwwww

Cleavers limb proc beats everything eantiq does. Quite useful in ee.
    But uhm bard you can dance and do .. bard things /whatever they are.
    Would say swap out both, but if possible get the cleaver upgraded and get planar set.
    15 prr is quite vauluable

If I had to choose one Id choose eAGA. Breaks most DR, and can use at level 20 - makes eTR convenient. I have both of these in both of my bards hotbars, and the limbchopper + curse effect on cleaver is nice for EE trash.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

If they don't bleed and got DR20+: eAGA.
    Otherwise cleaver.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I'm in this conundrum as well. I have been swapping on and off between these two weapons.

From my experience the EAGA does more damage on cleaves, and i keep cleaves on cooldown always. That's why I use it over the cleaver. Plus I have the red slot available now and don't have to spend a ridiculous 20 heroic comms to get it. I am grinding to get the comms and once I do I'm planning to switch to cleaver for EE because of the set bonus and CC. Problem is the red slot is a must have for devotion 114, so until the cleaver is fully upgraded I can't use the set bonus so I feel I'm better off with EAGA for now.
    Last edited by axel15810; 01-17-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    Wait.. You plan to play a melle bard.. Wait.. You plan to play a bard.. Ewwwww
    hey now. a well built, well outfitted, well played bard can do some pretty cool stuff... :-P

to the OP... i also have both. i usually use cleaver, and swap to eAGA for DR breaking purposes.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

I don't know why this is an either / or inquiry. If it has DR, eAGA.

If not, and bleeds, Cleaver.

Community Member

N/A for bards, but dance of flowers also boosts W.