Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 316
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    995

    Default Is it now the norm to assume Clerics dont heal?

    Im currently levelling one of my mains as a Cleric with Fighter splash.

    Im currently C11 F1

    I mostly run solo or with guildies, but on the rare occasions when I run in PuGs I find people are quick to pop hires or waste no time asking if Im going to heal.


    I took Cleric at level one so my icon is cleric. I have extensive experience with Clerics so healing on the fly is no problem.

    When I group I like to see each player bring everything their class has to offer to the table to get the job done.

    How has it come to pass that people assume I will only bring my 1 level of fighter instead of the 11 Cleric?

    Has the reputation of hitter Clerics been so tarnished that people just assume that there will be no healing?

    It seems quite sad that it should be thus.
    Corazonroto
    Soultrax
    Mantrax
    The Spellswords - Ghallanda

  2. #2
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    If I see a party member in need of a heal I will try and heal to the best ability I have available no matter what my characters class icon is, if people expect me to do nothing else but heal them 24/7 I will complete the quest then leave the group and start to avoid that person, unless they are tanking a boss or something. If they require a buff I have and they ask I will most likely give it unless there is a specific reason not to, or if its a single target buff that has a really short duration and they want it up 24/7 and its not really needed for the content then no im not going to do that. We are grouping to complete a quest together, but im not going to be there to serve people on bended knee.

    But yeah today in shroud there was only 1 barb and we had 2 bards 2 clerics and 1 FS I knew the barb had SF pots but I made a joking comment don't worry barb you should have plenty of healing, when one of the clerics pipped up quite vehemenatly that hes not going heal a single person at all. I said well if you do put up your aura you wont be able to help it, and he said he would be avoiding people..............lol.........whatever floats your boat he must be a fun person to group with, if anyone dies he would rather risk a wipe then throw a rez or whatever. Didn't do too well on the kill count either, was close to the bottom, but maybe he had great dps on harry and the portals?

    Oh yeah I also hate the people where they ask if you will heal them and you say sure.............and you regret it because they seem to take it as a license to play like a suicidal maniac, not everyone is like that but some........

    Also had clerics who refused to cast DW , oh well those tangle root googles but they take up a lot of space.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 01-16-2014 at 06:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Community Member kned225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Yes, its a byoh game now.

    Divines have achieved their ultimate goal....becoming The Unkillable Pikers

  4. #4
    Community Member Koowluh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Divines have achieved their ultimate goal....becoming The Unkillable Pikers
    More like the elitist pricks they wanted to be.

    I personally had no trouble healing people. I loved being useful in a group by keeping them alive. Nowadays, not so much. I actually just solo with the ton of permanent hirelings I got and avoid groups as much as possible. They don't need me anyways.

    The days of support characters are dead. Long live the king of BYOH. Is it a bad thing? Not really, I'm glad that the "zerg zerg whaaahaaa hjeal" crowd is gone. The other side of the coin is that I'm hardly useful at all in a group now. So I make my own. Owlbears and hirelings stay dumb forever.

  5. #5
    Community Member relenttless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Better safe than sorry I guess, sad if we must assume clerics won't heal. To be honest I see it less in the game than these forums would indicate, but it definitely exists. Though for every divine who doesn't there are more who do.
    A lot of clerics often don't need to heal these days, if their toon (and yours) is remotely well-designed then an aura and the odd burst will keep the party up -no need to cast actual spells and use their precious sp.

    Funniest one I saw recently was a pure lvl 19 FVS who not only wouldn't heal but COULDN'T res. Didn't have a spell at all, or any scrolls. Nothing.

    He got all upset when I pointed out he was basically a badly gimped sorc.
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

    "Some are insane, and the're in charge"

    Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Yes, its a byoh game now.

    Divines have achieved their ultimate goal....becoming The Unkillable Pikers
    I have no problem to keep up with kill count and heal others if needed. Not talking about epics of course, I am going to TR at 20 anyway.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    in the woods
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koowluh View Post
    More like the elitist pricks they wanted to be.

    I personally had no trouble healing people. I loved being useful in a group by keeping them alive. Nowadays, not so much. I actually just solo with the ton of permanent hirelings I got and avoid groups as much as possible. They don't need me anyways.

    The days of support characters are dead. Long live the king of BYOH. Is it a bad thing? Not really, I'm glad that the "zerg zerg whaaahaaa hjeal" crowd is gone. The other side of the coin is that I'm hardly useful at all in a group now. So I make my own. Owlbears and hirelings stay dumb forever.
    Its byoh hirling now regardless.All the good divines got tired of healing now and rather solo, the odd exception is probably new players ( or masochistic divines) , So if you see a multiclassed cleric or FVS its probably that they are nukers and not healer (not needed if they take a few mass cure). Nowadays If i see a cleric in party, i don't expect any heals, its good if i do get some but not really expected and i do appreciate the heals.

  8. #8
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Korea (temporarily)
    Posts
    5,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan220 View Post
    How has it come to pass that people assume I will only bring my 1 level of fighter instead of the 11 Cleric?
    Really? They don't expect you to contribute to completing the quest, same as everyone else? If you don't need to heal, why don't you get to Blade-Barrier-ing, Greater-Commanding, melee-ing, range-ing, stunning or whatever?

    Really, I've never seen such an attitude that would give you a free pass to pike just because you have some Cleric levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan220 View Post
    It seems quite sad that it should be thus.
    It seems very good to me that all classes are treated equally, rather than subjected to bigoted preconceived notions being shoved down people's throats about how folks "should" play their characters based on a little icon.

  9. #9
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Korea (temporarily)
    Posts
    5,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koowluh View Post
    I loved being useful in a group...
    Me too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Koowluh View Post
    ...by keeping them alive.
    Oh, no, am I in another one of those parties full of people who consistently can't keep themselves alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koowluh View Post
    The days of support characters are dead.
    No, these are their glory days. The best parties are 6 support characters, all of whom can DPS, heal, CC, rez, etc., if needed, exact methods varying with builds.

  10. #10
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Clerics? What are those? And how did that dude swinging an eSOS get a heal spell he keeps using only on himself?
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  11. #11
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    It seems very good to me that all classes are treated equally, rather than subjected to bigoted preconceived notions being shoved down people's throats about how folks "should" play their characters based on a little icon.
    LOL

    They gave everyone with level 9 spells the ability to do melee damage like a straight melee character, but they sure as heck didn't give the straight melee toons the ability to heal like a character with level 9 spells can.

    And yes, I know about bladeforged, but that's not a class ability, its a p2w race ability.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Community Member kmoustakas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    My cleric is a healbot, my bard is a healbot and my ranger could pretend he was a healbot. I guess that's why everyone likes me even though I suck haha.
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

  14. #14
    Community Member Chilldude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan220 View Post
    Has the reputation of hitter Clerics been so tarnished that people just assume that there will be no healing?
    Oh yeah, for years now. I forgot just how true that is for me until the other day when a new guild member and brand new player was telling me how they were in this quest with a group from the LFM and the healer wouldn't heal them at all, like never. I laughed to myself a bit remembering back to a time, long ago, that I last even considered the notion that my source of heals would come from another player. In Undermine, on my barbarian, standing right next to a cleric slowly chugging cure serious pots. From then on I've always built my toons and planned my adventures around the philosophy that I'd never join another group if I didn't think I was capable of healing myself throughout the quest. Characters with weaker self healing I'd either solo with a hire, or start a group myself so that the last spot could be filled with a hire.

    Still would never even think about joining a BYOH group though.

  15. #15
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    I wouldn't know; I am too busy worrying about what "I" do, including keeping myself alive with self healing, to worry about what any other player is class is doing.

    Seems the good ones save my butt every now and then when I mess up. So I am thankful to have a good Cleric along.

    But I've had good players of all classes help me out when I needed it... even with heals.

    And I have healed others as well... even clerics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  16. #16
    Community Member PNellesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    If the questions and comments I get now and then when joining pugs on my clerics (melee or caster) are any indication, then yeah, the norm does appear to be to assume that Clerics don't heal. It also appears to be that most Clerics don't cast buffs either, since I'm constantly being thanked for casting Deathward, FoM, etc., before starting the quest (for those few players that bother to wait). And apparently a lot of clerics don't know what Greater Restoration is or does, since players seem to be surprised that I actually have either the spell or scroll ready in beholder-heavy areas.

    Bottom line - the role expected of Clerics seems to have definitely changed from the "stand back and hjeal meh" role expected maybe 4-5 years ago when I first started playing. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I've been pugging on my self-healing tank concept, currently 12Clr/5Ftr. When I join groups one of two things happen. The leader doesn't care what my split is but I mention I can keep the party up, or he asks if I feel comfortable with healing and I say yes but I'm not heal-specced so run into my aura when you can and I'll save all my SP for heals. I did 2 shortman elite Reavers Fates as the only healer (and only tank) in the party and only allowed one death when a PM was playing in the middle. Healing is just very easy now, though with only 12 levels it's getting harder now in elite Vales for a party that's not prepared.

    When I join a group I assume I'll be healing myself. Mjoll taught me that. If I'm on a toon that relies on outside healing then I'll only join if a healer is already there or I think we'll steamroll the content and I'll be fine. My experience lately is that all content is getting steamrolled if at least one toon is a Sorc.
    THELANIS - Proud member of C.L.A.W.
    Scunc - Unarmed DPS // Halfbarrel - Healer
    Others: Bigtop - Melee Wolf // Dusstyn Thewind - Horc Bardbarian // Ballistra - Ranged DPSer

  18. #18
    Community Member Chilldude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    foolish notion that "Cleric=Healer" that some bigots have.


    There's nothing foolish about the notion that a cleric is a healer. That what the class was designed to do. That's the description given to the class. That's why the vast majority of the spells afforded the class are restorative in nature. That's why the vast majority of the offensive spells given the class are defensive in nature. That's why clerics have an innate ability to heal, thereby always having every healing spell permanently slotted in their spell book.

    While I completely agree that it's a foolish notion to assume you'll ever get a heal from another player in DDO, I think it's even more foolish to try to proclaim clerics are not healers.

  19. #19
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    6,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    There's nothing foolish about the notion that a cleric is a healer. That what the class was designed to do. That's the description given to the class. That's why the vast majority of the spells afforded the class are restorative in nature. That's why the vast majority of the offensive spells given the class are defensive in nature. That's why clerics have an innate ability to heal, thereby always having every healing spell permanently slotted in their spell book.

    While I completely agree that it's a foolish notion to assume you'll ever get a heal from another player in DDO, I think it's even more foolish to try to proclaim clerics are not healers.
    You must be mistaken, this is DDO forum, WoW forum is that way ==>

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    in the woods
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    You must be mistaken, this is DDO forum, WoW forum is that way ==>
    You sure? its more like RIFTS then WoW.....<that way

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload