Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cancelled: Here's Why

As you can see I've been playing DDO since Jan. 2010. I've been a VIP since April 2010. I own both the MotU Collector's Edition and the SC Collector's Edition plus the SC Legendary upgrade. I love this game, and I've spent a lot of money on it, but I am cancelling my sub. Here's why, in order of personal importance.

1. SC had no raid.

2. Turbine screwed up raid timers and their solution was to give EVERYONE a raider's box. I have some toons who got 2. This killed CitW.

3. SC had worse value than MotU in terms of content. It cost more, had fewer quests, and no raid.

4. Randomly generated items are now better than Epic Elite gear and raid items. It killed loot farming and raiding.

5. Epic Elite is boring. Mobs have godly hit points and hit like gods. So we all jump around like leap frogs waiting for Manyshot cooldown to expire.

6. Turbine's philosophy on game design appears to be to propose a terrible idea then crowdsource a good idea from the players after the ensuing backlash. I'm tired of having to tell Turbine how terrible their ideas are and how to design the game. I just want to play and have fun.

I just feel like there's no reason to play anymore. There's nothing to work for. I didn't create this thread to cause drama. I really hope it will offer some constructive feedback on what it took to make a longtime player who's spent a lot of money on this game cancel his sub. If the next update improves the game, there is still a chance for me to change my mind. But if April 1st rolls around, and I haven't seen major improvement, the chances that I'll continue to play this game are virtually null.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post

As you can see I've been playing DDO since Jan. 2010. I've been a VIP since April 2010. I own both the MotU Collector's Edition and the SC Collector's Edition plus the SC Legendary upgrade. I love this game, and I've spent a lot of money on it, but I am cancelling my sub. Here's why, in order of personal importance.

1. SC had no raid.

2. Turbine screwed up raid timers and their solution was to give EVERYONE a raider's box. I have some toons who got 2. This killed CitW.

3. SC had worse value than MotU in terms of content. It cost more, had fewer quests, and no raid.

4. Randomly generated items are now better than Epic Elite gear and raid items. It killed loot farming and raiding.

5. Epic Elite is boring. Mobs have godly hit points and hit like gods. So we all jump around like leap frogs waiting for Manyshot cooldown to expire.

6. Turbine's philosophy on game design appears to be to propose a terrible idea then crowdsource a good idea from the players after the ensuing backlash. I'm tired of having to tell Turbine how terrible their ideas are and how to design the game. I just want to play and have fun.

I just feel like there's no reason to play anymore. There's nothing to work for. I didn't create this thread to cause drama. I really hope it will offer some constructive feedback on what it took to make a longtime player who's spent a lot of money on this game cancel his sub. If the next update improves the game, there is still a chance for me to change my mind. But if April 1st rolls around, and I haven't seen major improvement, the chances that I'll continue to play this game are virtually null.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

1. SC had no raid.

Your points are valid. +1 for thread, & keeping it civil.

As for the highlight, YUP, no end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Hope you have fun without whatever else you do instead.

one more. hope it's hurting them in the pocket book, then maybe stuff will get fixed

Your points are valid. I applaud you for voting with your wallet.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

There are things to work for, but there is no BtC space for that.
    You want new raid without more BtC space? Don't think so.

And I totally agree on Raider's Box. That totally killed Citw. Even I no longer join Citw on any of my toons (couple Raider Boxes sitting in the bank in case I need something, and Heroic Comms drop rate is terrible there).

You're a better man than I am, but then I set the bar pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    one more. hope it's hurting them in the pocket book, then maybe stuff will get fixed
    No, hurting them in the pocket book will kill DDO. They will not invest. They are gauging most money out of the game and when cash inflow is below expected figures, they will turn off the servers. Simple as that.

DDO is in the cash cow stage of MMO industry. Gauge most out of it, then close the doors. Until then, they only invest in those things they think will keep cash flowing in. Bug fixes will not, making better content after already selling it will not. New packs slapped together and sold as shody expansions will do. I hear 3BC in the back... Selling the epic 3BC as a "new expansion" or something like that...

Good on you for voting with your wallet and giving solid, polite feedback concerning your displeasure.

Based upon my reading, Turbine developers have acknowledged some of the issues you mention. You may want to check back in four to six months, just in case they make a good faith effort to fix end game.

But if April 1st rolls around, and I haven't seen major improvement, the chances that I'll continue to play this game are virtually null.

Community Member

correct observations, way too much drama.

this has been their approach for years. hopefully the players council will change this, although i expect to get a backlash just for saying that.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by ishr View Post
    this has been their approach for years. hopefully the players council will change this, although i expect to get a backlash just for saying that.
    If you bellive this, you're very gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    No, hurting them in the pocket book will kill DDO. They will not invest. They are gauging most money out of the game and when cash inflow is below expected figures, they will turn off the servers. Simple as that.

DDO is in the cash cow stage of MMO industry. Gauge most out of it, then close the doors. Until then, they only invest in those things they think will keep cash flowing in. Bug fixes will not, making better content after already selling it will not. New packs slapped together and sold as shody expansions will do. I hear 3BC in the back... Selling the epic 3BC as a "new expansion" or something like that...
    So we are screwed then I take it no matter what we do?

Community Member

1. SC had no raid.

I, unfortunately, completelly agree.

End game being non-existent and top loot changed from desirable named items/artifacts to random +XX of +XX, stat tomes dropping much more rarely, plat now useless.. I dont see any reason why should anyone stay in end game (assuming they are not completely new to the game, in which case there is a lot of new stuff to try out).

Only one poibt I would add to OP:

Comms. I made the big mistake of rolling an Iconic and now, I simply dont have enough comms to TR out of him and back into non-iconic, so I can keep TRing in "normal train". Its frustrting, as I have to run about 60 more quests that will give 30+ comms each just to get out of that ****. Only few quests give that much and are enjoyable at the same time, so currently, I am non-paying, more or less on break customer that just loggs in to check dice and auctions...

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    i, unfortunately, completelly agree.

End game being non-existent and top loot changed from desirable named items/artifacts to random +xx of +xx, stat tomes dropping much more rarely, plat now useless.. I dont see any reason why should anyone stay in end game (assuming they are not completely new to the game, in which case there is a lot of new stuff to try out).

Only one poibt i would add to op:

Comms. I made the big mistake of rolling an iconic and now, i simply dont have enough comms to tr out of him and back into non-iconic, so i can keep tring in "normal train". Its frustrting, as i have to run about 60 more quests that will give 30+ comms each just to get out of that ****. Only few quests give that much and are enjoyable at the same time, so currently, i am non-paying, more or less on break customer that just loggs in to check dice and auctions...
    damn you!!! Why wont you just fold and buy a heart from the store like your suppose to!!!! Think of the puppies!!!

Community Member

So you decide to cancel a few weeks before 2 new end game raids are being released?

Ok, that makes sense. Happy Trails.

They should have just started dropping 1 commendation of heroism in one of the end chests and people would still want to run it.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    So you decide to cancel a few months before 2 new end game raids are being released?
    fixed for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    They should have just started dropping 1 commendation of heroism in one of the end chests and people would still want to run it.
    They could do this for all epic raids, and watch the grid light up like a Christmas tree again.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast