Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monks

Default Monks

Monks...

Discuss.

Community Member

Monastery of the Scorpion
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Increase Quivering Palm timer to 20 seconds. Make ee mobs hit slightly less hard so that ranging loses some of its benefit. Improve other classes so that players have a tough time deciding between splashing monk and something else.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 01-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Move the critical multiplier from earth to fire.

Stances are no longer selectable feats.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Increase Quivering Palm timer to 20 seconds. Make ee mobs hit slightly less hard so that ranging loses some of its benefit. Improve other classes so that players have a tough time deciding between splashing monk and something else.
    Maybe make them smarter as well or something to reduce kiting? Switching to ranged attacks that slow, and fire fast and accurately, but not huge damage, and no doesnt have to be every melee mob.

Community Member

Really what we should be talking about is Druids....

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Splash 2 monk, or 9monk.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Splash 2 monk, or 9monk.
    2 bard, 1 wiz, mobs on their ass 24/7.

A serious question though. Since most people like monks (majority of people play one often if not a splash), would it be in Turbine’s best interest to nerf them? Could this possibly make more people quit playing if they gave them a serious nerf than it would help retain or get new people to stick around?

I do not play my monk often and I do not have a splash either so I do not have much to lose by this but I wonder if the constant calls for nerfs would really make the overall game better for EVERYONE and not just those calling for nerfs.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    They are strong, no doubt about it.

Increase Quivering Palm timer to 20 secondsYes.. Make ee mobs hit slightly less hard so that ranging loses some of its benefitAll for this.. Improve other classes so that players have a tough time deciding between splashing monk and something else.
    I just like it because I like the speed of the unarmed attacks, and I think it looks cool to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Move the critical multiplier from earth to fire.Put a dodge cap on Earth stance as well, say at 4.

Stances are no longer selectable feats.No I really like this part. But I'm odd and run in water stance instead of earth.
    More fun when you have more choices.

They're due for a nerf, especially 'monkcher' builds. It's absurd to see that the best ranging class for bow + arrow isn't a ranger, but some stupid monkcher build. Kinda funny how monks have turned from being a underpowered class to being ok and then overpowered with the enhancement pass. Monks and bows should NOT mix in this game. It's fine if they can gain a few weapon proficiencies, but they shouldn't be centered with all forms of bows, runearms and most two-handed weapons.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    It's fine if they can gain a few weapon proficiencies, but they shouldn't be centered with all forms of bows, runearms and most two-handed weapons.
    Monks cant be centered with runearms.

@ nightmanis, once the offensive property is gone from earth stance id rather see how it's popularity changes before appplying a second nerf.

By 'improve' you mean 'give evasion to everyone' right? Because I can't see any reason to splash much but monk or rogue -- unless your primary class is monk, rogue, or maybe ranger -- ie those that get evasion as a class feature.

Nerfing monk2 would just mean everyone does rogue2 instead -- much like the pale trappers.

The problem I see with this thread is it nerfs monks, not nerfs the ridiculous low-hanging fruit of monks and monk trees. Seriously, NO class needs 3 extra feats, evasion, free stances, and insane synergy with so many classes with only 6 levels splashed into it. Pure monks are not the problem, it's the splash builds: don't penalize purists for the sake of the exploitative players.

A few ideas:
    - Change those free monk feats to levels 3, 6, and 9 (or 1, 6 and 12) and it would balance things out a bit. You won't see as many of these 2 and 6 monk splash/clone builds.

- Change monk's evasion so that you MUST remain centered and without armor (no light armor, no warforged body feats, no shields, etc). Alternatively, change monk's coding so that if you are uncentered and using non-centered weapons and equipment, you not only lose your monk extra abilities but your evasion as well. This ensures the innate synergy with beast form druids, rogue acrobats, and kensei fighters, but keeps the class from becoming a necessity for all of these exploitative builds. Rogue and ranger evasion remains untouched.

- For the love of all that is good and holy, change Ten Thousand Stars to work with throwing weapons. Once again, it's ten thousand STARS not ARROWS. This ability is just begging to be exploited.

These ideas don't hurt pure monks, but tones down the ridiculous amount of splash builds that seem to dominate the game these days. This way you don't cut off the hand to spite the finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    By 'improve' you mean 'give evasion to everyone' right? Because I can't see any reason to splash much but monk or rogue -- unless your primary class is monk, rogue, or maybe ranger -- ie those that get evasion as a class feature.

Nerfing monk2 would just mean everyone does rogue2 instead -- much like the pale trappers.
    The main reason people splash 2 monk is not only evasion but also 2 free feats. That's called poor developer planning. Rogue doesn't give free feats at levels 1 and 2.

They're due for a nerf,
    Actually, they're due for a proxy nerf. AC/Armor need to be elevated to the status of at least useful, if not outright desirable. Add to that a few monk modifications like moving the crit boost to fire stance.

...especially 'monkcher' builds. It's absurd to see that the best ranging class for bow + arrow isn't a ranger, but some stupid monkcher build.
    The best class for archery is still the Ranger. The best build for almost anything is a multiclass. Weak capstones vs front loading ensures that. Non-useful AC + insufficient (or rather non-competitive?) PRR from armor ensure Monk is the best survival splash.

Kinda funny how monks have turned from being a underpowered class...
    When was this ever the case?

...to being ok and then overpowered with the enhancement pass.
    Again, it's more a matter of the competition to Monks (basically anything not in pajamas) being ineffective/under powered for defense.

Monks and bows should NOT mix in this game. It's fine if they can gain a few weapon proficiencies, but they shouldn't be centered with all forms of bows...
    This requires a feat, and 10k Stars should share a cooldown with Manyshot or - better yet - only apply to thrown weapons.

...runearms...
    o.O How does this happen?

...and most two-handed weapons.
    Requires 8 levels of fighter, feat investment and the tier 5 enhancement slot - it's powerful, but I'm ok with the requirements.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I agree with earth stance giving crit multiplier, doesnt make sense.
    Earth gives prr, con, boost to ac, crit multiplier, water gives saves, dodge, wis, wind stance dex, attack speed and doublestrike, fire stance gives just strength.

They're due for a nerf, especially 'monkcher' builds. It's absurd to see that the best ranging class for bow + arrow isn't a ranger, but some stupid monkcher build. Kinda funny how monks have turned from being a underpowered class to being ok and then overpowered with the enhancement pass. Monks and bows should NOT mix in this game. It's fine if they can gain a few weapon proficiencies, but they shouldn't be centered with all forms of bows, runearms and most two-handed weapons.
    Actually ranger is the best for ranged, not monk.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 01-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Monks...

Discuss.
    My pure monk is great fun, but I feel a bit disappointed that unlike the rest of the community I can't "splash 2 monk for the extra 2 feats", etc.

I propose that those playing a pure monk, gain an additional 2 levels over all other builds/classes so we too can splash 2!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast