Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    This was done some time back. Has something reverted back so 5th and 6th slots make a difference? Dev quote to confirm from way back.
    Good to know. They should publicize this on the loading screens to make it more widely known.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    My Suggestion for how to do this...Yet again:

Merge Lowest Population Server with highest till you have 4 Servers!

Wayfinder with Ghallanda
    Orien with Thelanis
    Cannith with Khyber
    Sarlona with Argo

Add "of Ghallanda, Thelanis, Khyber etc. etc. to Player and Guild Names.

Add 2 Character Slots to every f2p account
    Add 4 Character Slots to every Premium account
    Add 6 Character Slots to every VIP Account {this last one would hurt me if Cannith and Sarlona were to be merged as I have 12 characters on Sarlona}

For people who do have more than 6 Characters on a Second Server and that second server is merged with their main server {which is also maxed out on characters} - Halve the Price of Extra Character Slots for 3 Months!

Also allow 2 FREE Character Transfers per Account.

Finally Advertise this PROPERLY!
    Use the opportunity to Bring in Brand New Non-Laggy Servers {4 of them} and Transfer 2 old Servers to each New one!
    Har Har!!!! Argo gets sarlona!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Turbine:
    Admit you gave self-healing and survivability to everyone but Fighters so no one absolutely needs to join a group...
    This bullet point from your original post encapsulates the reason I don't think server merges should be your focus. I find people asking for a server merge are actually asking for more grouping to occur. The problem is, the reason grouping doesn't occur as much as it used has a lot to do with player culture and related changes in game design. Sure, there are fewer players online than there used to be and maybe a server merger will incrementally increase the pugs temporarily, at the cost of increases to lag. But leaving game trends (ex. no raids, loot ghostbanascos) and player culture (channel > pugs) intact is like curing the symptoms and not the disease.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    And C, Thelanis was laggy as Hell last night. I had to DC 3 times as I was unable to log in at different times last night. Adding more people to the same laggy servers sounds like a nightmare. No thanks.
    So continuing to play on laggy servers is acceptable then?
    The problem isn't the population - its the less than optimal hardware design and the apparent difficulty to running proper maintenance that would minimize the lag.

How about we ask them to update the game into the 21st century instead with a load balancing virtual server farm that can scale up to any size population? It is absurd that the playing population is even split-up in the first place when it should be one contiguous game where you can group with anybody or effortlessly change instances to find them.
    The fact that they charge people to switch servers, if that service is even available, is a joke. I have played a few other MMO's and this is the only one I have found that purposely divides it's playing population.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    So Cannith is now the Park Place of DDO?

I was hoping folks wouldn't figure that out. Now you know.

We have been happy flying under the radar for 4+ years.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    So continuing to play on laggy servers is acceptable then?
    The problem isn't the population - its the less than optimal hardware design and the apparent difficulty to running proper maintenance that would minimize the lag.

How about we ask them to update the game into the 21st century instead with a load balancing virtual server farm that can scale up to any size population? It is absurd that the playing population is even split-up in the first place when it should be one contiguous game where you can group with anybody or effortlessly change instances to find them.
    The fact that they charge people to switch servers, if that service is even available, is a joke. I have played a few other MMO's and this is the only one I have found that purposely divides it's playing population.
    I was trying to be realistic. I highly doubt that Turbine would make a new server to accommodate everyone (unless we are talking about right before they shut off the lights). The answer that they always give is that the software is not the problem; it is that anyone that lags must have a junk computer. If this is their answer I would hate to see all those “junk computers” playing at the same time on a server.

As I said I hardly ever lag. I have a good machine, but be realistic. This is an 8 year old game that may have already seen its best days long ago so I doubt that they are interested in putting that much money into a game where there may not be a tomorrow.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I was trying to be realistic. I highly doubt that Turbine would make a new server to accommodate everyone (unless we are talking about right before they shut off the lights). The answer that they always give is that the software is not the problem; it is that anyone that lags must have a junk computer. If this is their answer I would hate to see all those “junk computers” playing at the same time on a server.

As I said I hardly ever lag. I have a good machine, but be realistic. This is an 8 year old game that may have already seen its best days long ago so I doubt that they are interested in putting that much money into a game where there may not be a tomorrow.
    We all know that Turbine aren't going to come out and say "Hey guys, We know our Servers are Sh173"

Despite the Opportunity for Dooooom! A Server Merge could be the best thing to happen to DDO since F2P!

IF

The Devs take the Opportunity to Buy FOUR NEW SERVERS!

Then transfer 2 Old Servers to each New Server!

They could then go over the Old Servers and maybe use them for Minority Pastimes like PvP, Permadeath, Roleplay etc. etc.

We all know that Turbine aren't going to come out and say "Hey guys, We know our Servers are Sh173"

Despite the Opportunity for Dooooom! A Server Merge could be the best thing to happen to DDO since F2P!

IF

They could then go over the Old Servers and maybe use them for Minority Pastimes like PvP, Permadeath, Roleplay etc. etc.
    Buy maor boxes so they can afford new servers!!!!

Step 1 - Add a new field to the Character Record behind the Scenes (P_SERV)
    Step 2 - Add current server name into that field (i.e. P_SERV = Sarlona)
    Step 3 - Bypass character duplicate name not allowed code if new P_Serve field /=
    Step 4 - Guild names updated to .. [Guild name] of <Current Server>)
    Step 5 - Merge all "active" (been played once in last 18 months) characters from all servers to one New server
    Step 6 - Introduce Server Guild Wars
    Step 7 - Merge all "inactive" characters to a different server where all they can do is transfer if they come back to DDO
    Step 8 - Give all Inactive player accounts 2 free transfers from the inactive to active server
    Step 9 - Charge $9.99/or TP to transfer additional characters from inactive to active servers
    Step 10a - PUGies have groups to join
    Step 10b - The pattern in the Shroud will never be correct
    Step 10c - I stop seeing server merge threads
    Step 10d - Profit /less Turbine resources needed because they spend less time doing updates and maintaining 10 different servers
    Last edited by Zzevel; 01-14-2014 at 05:13 PM.

IF

Im not so sure. You know how laggy it is when mabar happens each year? Multiply that by 2.

There were already server merges and they havent used any of the old servers for niche playstyles.

Plus a server merge is basically an admission of loss of headcount, usually reserved as a last resort when all else has failed to generate more long term users. Is DDO at that point yet? Seems like they are still trying to turn it around.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    So Cannith is now the Park Place of DDO?
    Cannith has a dead pug scene and it's completely self-inflicted. So what happens when you take those people and add them to something like Ghallanda? Do they change? Do they change Ghallanda? Who knows. It'd be an interesting experiment, and I'd love to see the results. Just not on my server please.

Turbine:
    Admit we lost players...
    Admit DDO is not the same when you can't barely join a group...
    Admit a group is not the same when it only has 2 or 3 people...
    Admit a group is not the same when we're all but soloists gathered together...
    Admit you gave self-healing and survivability to everyone but Fighters so no one absolutely needs to join a group...
    Admit even Fighters can multi-class and get some self-healing (Barbarians can't by the way)...
    Admit that hirelings exist...
    Admit even if you hadn't done that, we would still be better off solo'ing because Heroics are mostly easy for a veteran as long as they take it cool...

Admit we lost players (again)...
    Admit DDO is not the same when there are so few PUGs... again...

Merge some servers for the sake of Lady Vol... Pretty please... do it :/

Sounds like your grouping problems are self inflicted

You are still stuck to the concept that Fighter and Barbs can't self heal themselves and therefor MUST have a group

You just sound like you want everyone to group with you so that they can carry you through the quests

There are not that many LFMs also because, players join Guilds, make Friends, and use Channels to run static they rarely need to PUG.

I PUG since my playtimes have changed and I am no longer able to run static with my guild.

I have no problems with my groups filling and generally I can put up the LFM buff and have 1 join by the time I am done buffing. Then I change the LFM to IP and start the quest by the time we are though the quest the group is full. From there people come and go I just put the LFM back up for IP whatever the next quest is.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    better idea . . . release more than 2 quests in a 6 month period.

There are always lulls between updates. The problem is these lulls keep getting longer and longer.
    Absolutely

When comm drops were "doubled" pugging was AWESOME. EE groups for everything, filled fast and was a ton of fun.

Do something like that again.
    +1 100% right there

Community Member

Merge some servers for the sake of Lady Vol... Pretty please... do it :/
    Well I got a 'Server Full' message when attempting to log onto Khyber at 8:15pm EST on 1/14/04. I don't think I have ever seen that message before. ***?

Vallin.

Thelanis is fine, dont need more people.

Actually,
    A new server,
    With a new economy,
    With no transfers to it allowed,
    Will be so awesome!
    ~Miahoo all around!~

To all my friends: I Troll! Deal with it! You still hate me!

Quote Originally Posted by MiahooJunk View Post
    Actually,
    A new server,
    With a new economy,
    With no transfers to it allowed,
    Will be so awesome!
    Why? no hoards of exploited stuffs?

better idea . . . release more than 2 quests in a 6 month period.

There are always lulls between updates. The problem is these lulls keep getting longer and longer.
    that ^^

and stop calling them expansion packs unless they are an expansion. MOTU was, Shadowfell wasnt. The new characters where.
    VIPs should have gotten the Shadowfell quests for free.
    Real join date: Update 7

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Op -

No, not feeling the need.

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    that ^^

and stop calling them expansion packs unless they are an expansion. MOTU was, Shadowfell wasnt. The new characters where.
    VIPs should have gotten the Shadowfell quests for free.
    So, there have been more than 2 quests released in the last 6 months, you are just upset one was a paid expansion. *shrug* Everyone wants something for free. Complain about the 'fail" of the expansion but more than 2 quests have been released - the fact that they may not have been available to you without spending some cash, is a different issue.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    so continuing to play on laggy servers is acceptable then?

The fact that they charge people to switch servers, if that service is even available, is a joke. I have played a few other mmo's and this is the only one i have found that purposely divides it's playing population.
    swtor
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast