Default Divine Weapons for Clerics.

Ok, so we all know that the weapon choices for "Favored Weapons" weapons for clerics are.. well.. lacking.

I mean, really:

Sovereign Host: Longswords,
    Silver Flame: Longbows
    Undying Court: Scimitar
    Vulkoor: Short Swords
    Lord of Blades: Great Sword
    Amaunator: Heavy Mace (But also gets Hammers, Morning Stars, and Mauls)

Alright, Ok, the Lord Of Blades is pretty cool, but that also Blade Forged/WarForged only.

So what I propose is a new feat:

Favored Weapon: (Weapon)
    (Weapon) is now considered a Favored Weapon for this Character.
    Grants Proficiency (Weapon).

Seems simple enough, you take this feat and this (weapon) gets all the benefits of a "Favored Weapon" for a cleric/Morninglord.

It would not be a "Faith Based" belief, so a cleric/Sun Elf, would need to spend an actual feat slot for this.

Such is an idea I had.

I'd rather they just expanded the Deity system. Like, an Eberron cleric of the Sov Host gets to pick which of the host they favor most, and use that weapon. While a FR cleric could choose between a list of gods (it's not like there's some kind of shortage of them in the realms). In fact, I'd LOVE to see Torm be available. Not only is his favored weapon the Greatsword, but he's so pro-paladin it's not remotely funny, and because he's so utterly Lawful Good (to the point where other LG gods consider him an uncompromising zealot, unwilling to bend the nature of LG even the slightest bit...unless you consider his absolute 'no mercy for evil things' rule to be bending 'good') Gold Dragons love him. He's the only FR god that I know of who is so loved by something utterly alien to his follower's race that they consider it prestigious to convert to him, and directly serve him. He doesn't have a deific steed, or even a paladin mount. He has a Great Gold Wyrm that chose to serve him. And two Gold Wyrms serve him as bodyguards.

Imagine the Faith power from that! Something like summoning a (smallish) gold dragon, kinda like Vulkoor does with The Rock...err...you know the scorpion hybrid I meant. I've no clue what Torm would grant a FvS as a capstone though, in DDO. Maybe something that strips all fortification from anything Evil they hit with it? Really not sure.

Just...devs, please don't add AO as a selectable god. He doesn't grant spells, he doesn't imbue paladins or favored souls, and he doesn't answer prayers. He's the Overgod. The God of the Gods. The only entities that he gives a flying **** about are the gods. It's their job to worry about the mortals, not his.

In fact, as a example of just how little he cares about the mortals, when Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul ticked him off, what did he do? He sent ALL the gods to Toril in avatar form as punishment..for them. The mortals were therefore suddenly subjected to the whims of all those gods directly and actively (because they had nothing else to do), and the clerics were stripped of all their powers unless they were within a couple miles of their god so it could hear their prayers. Meaning that suddenly TONS of mortals died horrible, agonizing deaths. Then, to make matters worse for the mortals, since all the gods were kicked out of the planes, when the freshly killed mortals arrived on the Fugue Plane, their gods weren't there to take them to their afterlife. They didn't even get taken to the city of the dead by Myrkul or Jergal...because they weren't there. Do you know what happens to unattended mortal souls on the Fugue Plane? The Baatezu and Tanarri come and take them. Some, they turn into Dretches or Lemures, as the case may be. Others, the Baatezu use as currency, or test subjects...while the Tanarri may just 'play' with them. Or either faction may devour them. Worst case scenario, they get conscripted into the Blood War, for an eternity of being torn apart by infernal creatures, and destroyed horribly...if they're lucky.

That's how much AO 'cares' about mortals. So please, please, please never make him a worshippable god, or include NPCs getting powers from him (unless they're gods themselves).

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Aye

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

And if the completionist feat was autogranted then I...

I would like to see the following added:
    Aureon: favoring quarterstaff (also a nice god for mixing divine with magic users)

Faith Based Feat lists and all, would be grand, but this is not about that.This is about making a weapon a "Favored Weapon" for a cleric.Case in point:Lets say you make an Elf Cleric.You take Undying Court, (Free Raise ability) and Scimitars.But you want to tack on some AA action to the build, just take the "Favored Weapon Longbow" and now you have Scimitars and Longbows as your favored weapons.Lets say you Follow the Lord of Blades, and like your Greatsword, but some days, you really want to bash heads in with a Maul, take "Favored Weapon Maul" and the problem is fixed.This was simply about the idea that not every weapon needs a "God/Goddess" to favor it, and not every cleric/paladin wants to get stuck with a single weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Faith Based Feat lists and all, would be grand, but this is not about that.This is about making a weapon a "Favored Weapon" for a cleric.Case in point:Lets say you make an Elf Cleric.You take Undying Court, (Free Raise ability) and Scimitars.But you want to tack on some AA action to the build, just take the "Favored Weapon Longbow" and now you have Scimitars and Longbows as your favored weapons.Lets say you Follow the Lord of Blades, and like your Greatsword, but some days, you really want to bash heads in with a Maul, take "Favored Weapon Maul" and the problem is fixed.This was simply about the idea that not every weapon needs a "God/Goddess" to favor it, and not every cleric/paladin wants to get stuck with a single weapon.
    Sounds like you should just take a fighter level and put 2 points into Kensai!

On TOP of the FREE Fighter Bonus Feat & Tower Shield Prof & Martial Weapons Prof etc. etc.

I'd be extremely happy if the Devs would do something about the weak-sauce Deity system in this game!
    BUT
    Your suggestion smacks of OPness i.e. How many People would instantly take B-Sword or Khop or Repeater X-Bow?

What I want to see is:
    -The Sovereign Host fully fleshed out!
    -Forgotten Realms Gods added in for Dwarves, Orcs, Halflings and Humans
    -Word of Recall Fixed
    -The Temple of the Sovereign Host and The Catacombs turned into Hubs with Bank, Mailbox, Auction House, Teleporter, Tavern, Vendors etc. etc.
    -Oh and Valenar Elves to get Longbows BACK on their Allowed Favoured Weapons! {Seriously NO-ONE uses Shortbows!}

There are pretty robust choices available in lore. If more of these choices were brought into the game the result may be better. I stress the word 'may' as the idea you present is a good one.

Lore is something going the way of the dodo in this game already.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    I'd rather they just expanded the Deity system. Like, an Eberron cleric of the Sov Host gets to pick which of the host they favor most, and use that weapon. While a FR cleric could choose between a list of gods (it's not like there's some kind of shortage of them in the realms).
    Total +1 to this.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Human Caster/Intim/Tank Druid (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XVI - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Enlightend Spirit Warlock Tank (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR VII - Primal, x2, Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x3)
    RueMeridian - Gnome Artificer (TR I - Arti x1 - EtR II - Primal x1, Div x1)

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Sounds like you should just take a fighter level and put 2 points into Kensai!

On TOP of the FREE Fighter Bonus Feat & Tower Shield Prof & Martial Weapons Prof etc. etc.
    Because that does not give me the effect I am looking for. I mean really, If I was just going to make a melee/divine, I'd do Cleric/Fighter/Monk combo if I wanted to Melee or Cleric/Ranger/Monk, most likely some Monkcher mix into this if I wanted to range.

Please, if you want to beast mode, mixing is your best choice, I am simply trying to give options to people who want to play a bit more flavor builds or have a penchant for wanting to play pure builds.

I'd be extremely happy if the Devs would do something about the weak-sauce Deity system in this game!
    That would be grand, and when they get around to it, I am sure there will still be people who use more then one kind of weapon for every situation.

Your suggestion smacks of OPness i.e. How many People would instantly take B-Sword or Khop or Repeater X-Bow?
    For something to "OP" it needs to in fact be Over Powered, a pure Cleric using a Khopesh is not what I would call Game Breaking, when stacked up against many of the current (and several old and even outdated) FotM builds, it would still be leagues behind.

Dear I say, it might even be the mark of a Gimp Build, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    There are pretty robust choices available in lore. If more of these choices were brought into the game the result may be better. I stress the word 'may' as the idea you present is a good one.

Lore is something going the way of the dodo in this game already.
    Wow, you agree that I have a good idea, I have no idea how to respond...

For something to "OP" it needs to in fact be Over Powered, a pure Cleric using a Khopesh is not what I would call Game Breaking, when stacked up against many of the current (and several old and even outdated) FotM builds, it would still be leagues behind.

Dear I say, it might even be the mark of a Gimp Build, LOL.
    Actually it would be OP!

Because I am comparing it to a PURE Cleric wielding a Long Sword {Sov Host}, Short Sword {Vulkoor} or Hvy Mace {Amaunator}!
    NOT
    To Fighter/Cleric/Monks or any other Multiclass Combo!

You stated Pure Cleric so I suggested 1 {ONE} Lvl of Fighter - Hardly "Beast Mode" and you should know by now that I would never argue for "Beast Mode" anyway!
    Most Melee Clerics Pre Warpriest took 2-3 Fighter or Monk Levels anyway!

WF FavSouls have long held a Melee advantage over other Races and this cannot be attributed to Better Self-Healing as WF actually have a Penalty to Divine Healing potential!
    All other Races {except H-Orc} have better Base Stats for a FvS anyway AND H-Orcs have a better Base Str if you want to go full on melee and are more capable of self-healing simply because they're Fleshies!

NO - The Reason WF FvSs are More Popular STILL than any other Race is because they actually get to use a GOOD Weapon!

And don't get me started on Silver Flame - Silver Flame is a Flavour Build when compared to Sov Host!

Community Member

Ok, so we all know that the weapon choices for "Favored Weapons" weapons for clerics are.. well.. lacking.

I mean, really:

Sovereign Host: Longswords,
    Silver Flame: Longbows
    Undying Court: Scimitar
    Vulkoor: Short Swords
    Lord of Blades: Great Sword
    Amaunator: Heavy Mace (But also gets Hammers, Morning Stars, and Mauls)

Alright, Ok, the Lord Of Blades is pretty cool, but that also Blade Forged/WarForged only.

So what I propose is a new feat:

Favored Weapon: (Weapon)
    (Weapon) is now considered a Favored Weapon for this Character.
    Grants Proficiency (Weapon).

Seems simple enough, you take this feat and this (weapon) gets all the benefits of a "Favored Weapon" for a cleric/Morninglord.

It would not be a "Faith Based" belief, so a cleric/Sun Elf, would need to spend an actual feat slot for this.

Such is an idea I had.
    you get the proficiency with the lvl 1 faith feat iirc

Quote Originally Posted by harry-pancreas View Post
    you get the proficiency with the lvl 1 faith feat iirc
    Yes you do. This is not meant to be a "Faith" feat, it is meant to be used along with, not in lieu of.

Faith Based feats would still be their own thing, granting special abilities according to the religious lore and what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Actually it would be OP!

Because I am comparing it to a PURE Cleric wielding a Long Sword {Sov Host}, Short Sword {Vulkoor} or Hvy Mace {Amaunator}!
    NOT
    To Fighter/Cleric/Monks or any other Multiclass Combo!

You stated Pure Cleric so I suggested 1 {ONE} Lvl of Fighter - Hardly "Beast Mode" and you should know by now that I would never argue for "Beast Mode" anyway!
    Most Melee Clerics Pre Warpriest took 2-3 Fighter or Monk Levels anyway!
    Look, you admit that more could be gained from taking 1 or 2 levels of fighter/monk then could be gained from this feat, so it is not OPed in the scheme of the game or it's mechanics, as more powerful options are already open to the players, as such this becomes a flavor feat, reserved for people who have a penchant to want to make pure builds, or people who may have several weapons they want to use and are willing to burn a feat to do it, which is exactly what I intended it to be.

Other Faith Based, feats would be good to add in, I would like Aureon added, as QS faith based weapon for free would be handy for my Clonk.

But in reality, my clonk would never use this feat to simply use a weapon, it would be a waste for that build.

My War Priest Pure Cleric, TR life, which was mainly a flavor build, would have used it, but then again, they went Silver Flame, so there is that.

and yes, that me, using Dwarf Axes to kill skeletons, mainly because i was looking for a cool screen shot, and yes, I took the feat to use them, and I took the feats to dual wield them.

I doubt that if I got a few extra +1's to hit and damage, it would have broke the game anymore then it already is.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Wow, you agree that I have a good idea, I have no idea how to respond...
    We don't always disagree. In tally there are more agreements than the other. However the result when we do disagree is akin to mixing water and phosphorus.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!