Default The mighty Morninglord?

I know that the Morninglord has gotten a lot of flak from people. Frankly, I can't see why. Seriously, detach from your desire for +wis, and give the tree a real look. This tree seems designed to sell LR+1 hearts. Why? Let's go over a few gems that are good for any class at all.

First, we have the no-sp, 2 times per rest Aumanator version of Unyielding Sov. Unless you're a PM that refuses to turn off your shroud, this is well worth the AP, pretty much no matter what class you are, and it's very low-hanging fruit.

Next, we have no-sp, 3-times per rest buff-click that pops off Mass Aid, Mass Death Ward, and Mass Spell Resistance. There is no class that wouldn't benefit from this in some way, and once you have your super-heal click, you've already spent the needed points to get this. Worth it, I'd say.

After that, we have Arcanum. Not as universally useful (at least in Heroic levels), but any caster can make excellent use of more SP. In Epic, it can free up a gear/aug slot to power your SP twists, or let you make some use of a casty-destiny as a non-caster. Still pretty spiffy. And as a DC-caster that doesn't focus on nuclear reflex saves, the extra spell pen from Arcanum is awesome.

In the third tier, 'awesome' pickings are a bit slimmer, but you still have Nothing is Hidden for Rogue/Arti lives (not everyone has all the traps memorized, and few people want to slow down for a search check these days, so it's pretty good), and the +2-6 boost to saves vs Enchantments that can help you resist disco fever. This is also where AA sits, if you want it.

In the fourth tier, however, is where my absolute favorite of all the morninglord abilities resides. Always-on, unstoppable Light Shield ability that nails them every time they swing, even if they don't connect. On a monk, this can be pretty ludicrous, or on a displaced wizard. And it really does help get rid of those stupid phasing shadows. Don't have to waste time on them anymore, they'll kill themselves eventually while you concern yourself with things that don't make you want to make out with a cheese grater instead.

If you like Mauls, or maces, the morninglord weapon training line gives you some extra damage, and culminates in that nice doublestrike/ignore-dodge bonus. Not a bad topper there if you're gonna use the weapon anyway.

Overall, it's a pretty nice tree, and one of the most universally useful I've ever seen. Of course, it has extra goodies if you're actually a cleric or paladin, but the stuff I covered here is fairly nice no matter what class you've turned the little sun elf into.

Everyone's still infatuated with Bladeforged, which also took longer for people to warm up to after they got over their "ICONICSUXORS" hate.

I think there will be some really nice Morninglord builds out there eventually once the more creative people start playing with them. Just like it took a little while for folks to start leveraging the half-elf after it was first released.

As a straight cleric, Sun Elves are easy to turn into an undead killing machine in heroics, just making undead quests a joke. With a little tweaking, you can build a very serviceable offensive caster/radiant servant. It's quite easy to get their light/fire/alignment/heal spell power into the 200s in heroic. Heck you can practically get a 200 light spell power right out of the gate using only starter equipment.

That makes the divine disciple light SLAs very effective and fun.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    This tree seems designed to sell LR+1 hearts.
    Hence most people's annoyance with MLs: they took an INT-based race who would make great wizards (+4 INT, +3 Spell Pen, +1 Enchant DCs) and made them default to...WIS-based casters?

Had they let Iconics pick their initial class in the first place, I think you'd see a lot less Iconic hate.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

I've currently been playing with a morninglord in Warpriest. While an elf (especially a big-brain elf) may not be the optimal choice for melee, I'm doing very nice damage for a Mace + Board combo (the sun elf boosts + the Warpriest boosts amounts to quite a bit of extra damage, and the permanant Divine Power has me sitting at a strength score that currently rivals what an equal level Stalwart Defender tends to tote...I just don't have Power Attack or cleaves...instead I have Holy Smite, Fire Storm, Cometfall, Flamestrike, and Blade Barrier. Fair exchange.)

And the Morninglord Light Shield enhancement with the decent AC and permablur from Warpriest is working marvelously. I have my doubts about the character's ability to handle elites in his starter gear as a warpriest, but I suppose if I took the time to regear him, he'd probably do just fine and dandy.

But the more I look at the tree, the more I want to LR+1 a morninglord into a Monk or a Paladin.

Community Member

I've currently been playing with a morninglord in Warpriest. While an elf (especially a big-brain elf) may not be the optimal choice for melee, I'm doing very nice damage for a Mace + Board combo (the sun elf boosts + the Warpriest boosts amounts to quite a bit of extra damage, and the permanant Divine Power has me sitting at a strength score that currently rivals what an equal level Stalwart Defender tends to tote...I just don't have Power Attack or cleaves...instead I have Holy Smite, Fire Storm, Cometfall, Flamestrike, and Blade Barrier. Fair exchange.)

And the Morninglord Light Shield enhancement with the decent AC and permablur from Warpriest is working marvelously. I have my doubts about the character's ability to handle elites in his starter gear as a warpriest, but I suppose if I took the time to regear him, he'd probably do just fine and dandy.

But the more I look at the tree, the more I want to LR+1 a morninglord into a Monk or a Paladin.
    My next life will be a dual Heavy Mace wielding Morninglord Cleric. Just not sure if I want to go down the Cheese path of 8 Fighter / 2 Monk / 10 Cleric. I probably will.

If anyone has suggestions other than 2 Monk / 8 Fighter I'd love to hear it because I'd love to avoid the cheese if possible. I guess 14 Cleric , 6 Fighter or 12 Cleric , 8 Fighter are options. Or 2 Rogue or 2 Paladin are options. But if I go Rogue then my group will expect me to do traps. And I did those in 6 of our 12 lives together (with a group of 6 I think I did my share...).

Heavy Maces look awesome when you develop up the Morninglord line and the Warpriest line.

2 x Phosphor until 25 (one with Acid or Frost for more damage in main hand, one with Devotion for off-hand), then main hand Phosphor with Acid or Frost and Forgotten Light in the off-hand.

But I will be coming from Sorc - so will feel completely gimp. Sorc is just insanely powerful...

Don't forget Combustion and Radiance, gonna have to make sure you've got those somewhere, because a Warpriest is very much in the thick of things. And even though I had previously thought poorly of a lot of the clerical nukes, this life has taught me some things. Like 'when the enemies enter your Blade Barrier, hit them with cometfall, and immediately follow up with point-blank Fire Storm. They'll then instantly stand up and try to move away from the firestorming cleric...triggering the barrier again. Then they'll charge you. Hitting the barrier again. At this point, any that are still alive (usually not many, if any at all) are so torn up that you can beat them down with a single mace, and your light shields. Trigger Brilliance of Aumanator if they have good attack rolls and are hitting you, to speed their self-execution.

Also, armor-wise, Epic Mournelode Fullplate is a beautiful thing for that kind of work. (Second highest possible base AC, at least before the last couple updates, haven't checked again yet, and it procs Heal on you sometimes. So nice!)

Community Member

Don't forget Combustion and Radiance, gonna have to make sure you've got those somewhere, because a Warpriest is very much in the thick of things. And even though I had previously thought poorly of a lot of the clerical nukes, this life has taught me some things. Like 'when the enemies enter your Blade Barrier, hit them with cometfall, and immediately follow up with point-blank Fire Storm. They'll then instantly stand up and try to move away from the firestorming cleric...triggering the barrier again. Then they'll charge you. Hitting the barrier again. At this point, any that are still alive (usually not many, if any at all) are so torn up that you can beat them down with a single mace, and your light shields. Trigger Brilliance of Aumanator if they have good attack rolls and are hitting you, to speed their self-execution.

Also, armor-wise, Epic Mournelode Fullplate is a beautiful thing for that kind of work. (Second highest possible base AC, at least before the last couple updates, haven't checked again yet, and it procs Heal on you sometimes. So nice!)
    I tend to either wear Chaos Robes or Parasitic Breastplate on all my toons for getting to 20. By Epic I will move on to Epic CC leathers, Whisperchain or Sun Soul set (or Spider-spun Caparison if I see more melee lives on the way).

I may or may not need Combustion and Radiance. Depends on how many Cleric levels I go with. If 12 then I get BB so will want Impulse and Kinetic Lore. Cometfall is more about CC than doing damage. Div Punish is nice, but if I have nowhere to put Radiance then it can either be ignored (because it takes so long to crank up it is only worth it on bosses) or just do whatever damage it does.

Given we wont be doing EE, I guess 12 Cleric / 8 Fighter is an option. But cheese gives me Mountain stance and that is just so effective (though is it more effective than Blade Barrier...).

2014 DDO Players Council

Sun Elf does make for a good Wizard. And sure, there's some nice stuff for other classes if you have tons of AP to burn outside your class trees.

But it'd be nice if they had an "Iconic Cleric" that was, you know, useful for Clerics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    I tend to either wear Chaos Robes or Parasitic Breastplate on all my toons for getting to 20. By Epic I will move on to Epic CC leathers, Whisperchain or Sun Soul set (or Spider-spun Caparison if I see more melee lives on the way).

I may or may not need Combustion and Radiance. Depends on how many Cleric levels I go with. If 12 then I get BB so will want Impulse and Kinetic Lore. Cometfall is more about CC than doing damage. Div Punish is nice, but if I have nowhere to put Radiance then it can either be ignored (because it takes so long to crank up it is only worth it on bosses) or just do whatever damage it does.

Given we wont be doing EE, I guess 12 Cleric / 8 Fighter is an option. But cheese gives me Mountain stance and that is just so effective (though is it more effective than Blade Barrier...).
    There's another reason for Radiance + Combustion. If you go all the way with warpriest, especially if you go pure, then you get Divine Conduit (and if you go pure, it turns to Divine Vessel, and triggers more often). Which is basically, every 25(or 20 if vessel) seconds of active melee combat, you pop a special Fire+Light Flamestrike on your location for free. Pretty nice chunk of extra damage right there, particularly if you aren't dealing with EE mobs.

permablur from Warpriest
    Off topic a little, just a note regarding blur and clerics. If you aren't already permablurred from a number of available items out there, there's always the fact that Blur scrolls can be used by clerics without the need for UMD.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

There's another reason for Radiance + Combustion. If you go all the way with warpriest, especially if you go pure, then you get Divine Conduit (and if you go pure, it turns to Divine Vessel, and triggers more often). Which is basically, every 25(or 20 if vessel) seconds of active melee combat, you pop a special Fire+Light Flamestrike on your location for free. Pretty nice chunk of extra damage right there, particularly if you aren't dealing with EE mobs.
    Everything I have read about melee Clerics is to not go pure. So this is an interesting idea.

However, Im now also pondering whether to go caster. 18 Cleric / 2 FvS, or even 17 Cleric / 2 FvS / 1 Wizard (I seem to be badly Feat starved).

Question Mornh

Did anybody check if the Morninglord Weapon Training bonus also applies to Mornh? I believe this is one of the best weapons in the game at the moment, massively underrated. I've been wanting to try both the Morninglord and a dual-wielding Mornh build for a while, so if I can hit 2 birds with one stone ...

The enhancement itself refers to mauls, morningstars, maces, and one-handed hammers.
    Mornh is a warhammer.

The only hammers in the game are the light hammer (one-handed light martial weapon), warhammer (one-handed martial weapon) and maul (two-handed martial weapon). So strictly speaking Mornh should be covered, being a one-handed hammer.

Of course there is a difference between "should" and "is".

Anybody know?

Default Did you ever get your answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    Did anybody check if the Morninglord Weapon Training bonus also applies to Mornh? I believe this is one of the best weapons in the game at the moment, massively underrated. I've been wanting to try both the Morninglord and a dual-wielding Mornh build for a while, so if I can hit 2 birds with one stone ...

The enhancement itself refers to mauls, morningstars, maces, and one-handed hammers.
    Mornh is a warhammer.

The only hammers in the game are the light hammer (one-handed light martial weapon), warhammer (one-handed martial weapon) and maul (two-handed martial weapon). So strictly speaking Mornh should be covered, being a one-handed hammer.

Of course there is a difference between "should" and "is".

Anybody know?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Do the enhancements work with Mornh?
    I'm assuming you still wouldn't be proficient as it's not listed as one of the sun elf martial weapon proficiencies.
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 20 sorc - 4 Epic /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/17pal /// Vindicate life 6 lvl 18rgr/1ftr/1clr - 2 Epic /// [COLOR="Red"]