Lightbulb Are there optimal settings to use for voice chat?

Reason I am asking is a lot of the times when I join a group, I get some people who can hear me while others cant. Is there a optimal setting I could use, or do I or others have to keep re-adjusting the setting to be able to communicate to each other clearly.

Maybe we could come up with a optimal setting that everyone could use so this is no longer a issue?

All feedback welcomed!

There are no good settings for voice chat because DDO chat doesn't have an equalizing function that pulls the independent data streams into the same range. Some people are just going to sound effing loud to you and some will be nearly inaudible.

I had to set my voice and master volume to the max and put everything else down around 2 to be able to hear most people at all. I have my microphone maxed out and I still get complaints that I'm too quiet.

It's all rather silly, but at least this game HAS built-in voice chat.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Some of the basics.

One advice that helped me was to get a USB headset. I was trying it with the built-in mic from my laptop but that was just plain horrible for the others in the party. DDO has the option of putting inbound and outbound voice to a different device than the original sound devices used to playback the game audio. I do not have an expensive headset (got it at work when Office Communicator was all the hype), but it works a lot better than the cheap microphone from my laptop.

Another essential is the push-to-talk button. Leaving the mic open gives a lot of noise that some microphones are set to surpress. When you start speaking, the other filters need to be applied (volume goes up again), which could lead into a soft speaking volume. Using the push-to-talk option will basically cancel those filters (no noise, no filtering). And we do not have to hear your loud coughing family member in the background.

Thirdly, actually try the options while grouped. Ask a guild member or open an LFM called mic/voice testing and just try out different options with other group members listening if it sounds ok.

Another one to consider is the volume options from your operating system (typically Windows7). There's level sliders there too that you may need to crank up when you sound too softly in the game. This slider is independent from the ingame options, so even when you set it all the way high in DDO, the slider out of the game may be set too low and now let any voice through. Look in the properties menu of the device to see if you can find any level slider under the recording tab (again, this is for Windows7). If others sounds too soft, you may need to check out the properties of the device in the playback tab and raise the slider there.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jfgddo View Post
    Reason I am asking is a lot of the times when I join a group, I get some people who can hear me while others cant. Is there a optimal setting I could use, or do I or others have to keep re-adjusting the setting to be able to communicate to each other clearly.

Maybe we could come up with a optimal setting that everyone could use so this is no longer a issue?

All feedback welcomed!
    feedback, why would you want feedback on voice chat? sorry had too. i have set my sounds card to compress loud sounds(windows setting) it helps abit

but ya set all to .001 and you should be able to hear most people. till that damned loud stuff comes in from underdark stuff. shame that havent turned it down abit

Community Member

I turn everything down, and chat setting up and most of the time I still can't hear the person talking in the mike. the volume settings need reworked.