Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I must disagree with this assertion. Turbine has a QA department and a preview server for feedback. I shall not comment on the efficacy of that body nor the results of any preview comments as such would inevitably descend to unseemly sniping. The Player Council is more intended to act as a "Big Picture" group which provides player evaluation of proposed changes in a, hopefully, less volatile environment. Having that body delve into the minutia of bug hunting defeats its purpose and wastes resources. Purposefully excluding players who have found, documented and properly reported exploits is not to be found in the Council application requirements.
    I don't think that the people who find exploits should be the *only* ones in the council, but it's certainly an important group to have involved because the people who cause problems can also be some of the best people to stop problems as well.

If you want to stop trouble, recruit the troublemakers.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    What? You're great roasted over an open fire.
    Huuumans roasting on an open fire.
    Chestnuts roasting 'tween your toes.
    Cries of torment, singing out like a choir,
    and folks dressed up like minions of the Dark Six.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up

Your post was well said and I second your thoughts. In addition, for this Council to have credibility, your well written section below should be emphasized:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post
    Finally, I really do implore Turbine to be very specific about the terms of reference for the Council - if it is to be effective, it needs to be set clear goals and deliver on commitments to the player base as much as to Turbine. A preferably monthly, minimum quarterly, issue of the Council’s activities and deliberations should be published - woolly commitments in this regard are simply unacceptable. The council will very rapidly lose any credibility if it fails in that regard, demoralising those on the Council who may have expended significant effort in achieving no tangible result. Turbine also need to really think hard about the NDA application to the Council proceedings – Of course, where there is significant commercial/competitive risk to Turbine in revealing information then confidentiality is required, but I really don’t think those circumstances will arise too often, and it most certainly should not be used to muzzle council opinion on forthcoming developments and ideas that are effectively safeguarded from competitive pressures by license and by the USP DDO enjoys in any case.
    +1
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I understand your intention with this, but do you really think you have a large enough pool of players that you can pick enough quality in the second term? Only 5% visit the forums. Of those 5% you pick some to be council members. Next year comes around and you need more people, but those that were interested already served in the previous year. I guess it comes down to how many will be on the council as a whole. I'm not sure if a number was stated.
    We're aiming for between 10-30 people, probably in the 20-30 range. I am not at all concerned about finding enough quality applicants. We have over 100 applicants already, and there's still more than a week left to apply. Remember that these people are not just coming from the forums, but from across all of our social sites and places where we gather feedback, in addition to people from inside of the game directly.

Plus, it's simply not true that 5% visit the forums, never has been. The number is much higher. If it was stated that way in the past by someone here, I can't speak to that, but I'm pretty sure I've already tried to counter that false perception previously.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Let me pose a question:

Assuming there are libraries in Greece, do you know what is written on every page of every book in every corner of every library located in the Seat of Democracy? Surely you do. You live there with those numerous tomes.

No?

Then how can you expect the few Turbine employees charged with overseeing and maintaining these forums to read every single word written, idea put forth or suggestion proposed therein? Several of them do nothing more than scan for objectionable thread topics; content comprehension beyond that is not a requirement. Even the "Let's Discuss" Dev threads are chock-a-block with irrelevant musings. Having an active group of dedicated users candidly respond to proposals is far more productive than wading through the tons of textural ore to find a few nuggets of enlightenment.
    i dont think this metaphor is correct tbh. im sure every single post in these forums is read by the Turbine Stuff.
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I don't think that the people who find exploits should be the *only* ones in the council, but it's certainly an important group to have involved because the people who cause problems can also be some of the best people to stop problems as well.

If you want to stop trouble, recruit the troublemakers.
    I don't disagree with this. What I found objectionable with your first statement was not the idea of finding trouble is best left to the troublemakers, but that the underlying purpose of the Player Council is to find those troubles at all. The Council's responsibilities should not extend to the extant. Their charge is more to hammer out potential problems than deal with ones that exist. If Cordovan's claim that the Council will precede the Mournland server is to be taken a face value, that they will address proposed game mechanic and architectural changes before coding commences, then to have them quibble over what the best way to deal with something like a duplication exploit is a waste of everyone's time.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Default Good idea, I hope it helps

Good Idea, I certainly hope that this helps prevent misconceived ideas like the original proposals first for getting rid of all Epic XP including ED progress or the Saga-Comms tie in.

I considered applying for a spot, but I really am not sure about finding the time to give this the attention it deserves.

Oh, and for those of you asking why this should be better or more informative than the forums - read the first post again. This is about new ideas, including new content, that Turbine is considering. That means that its a couple of steps before it would even be on the forums, or on Lamannia. And I would think discussions will go into more detail and be more real discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    i dont think this metaphor is correct tbh.
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

im sure every single post in these forums is read by the Turbine Stuff.
    I do not dispute that. Would you, however, grant me the concession that not all, or even a majority, of the Turbine employes who review forums threads are in a position to evaluate or promote the merits of any content beyond adherence to conduct rules?
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

im sure every single post in these forums is read by the Turbine Stuff.
    I hope not and I doubt it. Starting with Cupcake's thread!
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    One new reminder, now that I've taken a quick look at the dozens of applications received already: PLEASE make sure to include your feedback on point 16! I see a few too many applications that don't have the feedback example included. If you've already sent in an application, but forgot to include feedback on point 16, you can just send in a new email with just the feedback, no need to re-include the application again.
    Yeah, I missed that on the first read and sent a second e-mail with the feedback immediately afterward. Changing the spacing, size and color of the 16th point throws off the flow of the reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    I nominate Shorlong, Postumus & Sephiroth.
    I'm being lumped in this group...?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I rate this troll a 10 out of 10.
    Gee, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post
    First off, I would be deeply suspicious of any council drawn in majority from the forum.

This forum has a very different mind-set and culture to the playing community I have experienced in game.

IMO any Council should represent the players, NOT the “forumites”.
    And how would you make that distinction? There are folks who have been posting to the forums regularly since the game launched who are quintessential casual players. Some have never reached the level cap: not when it was 20, and not now that it's 28.

Rather than selection by nomination or some ultimately subjective consideration of "ability", a random sample of the player base - across all servers, would be a more appropriate representation, particularly if this is to be refreshed annually, as intimated.

I suggest something like issuing invitations to a random sample on each server, collating all acceptances for each server then randomly drawing from each server to fulfil the number of seats envisaged as practicable.

This gives an equal chance for all servers to be represented, and for all payers, at varying degrees of "ability" and progression to be heard.
    That's a terrible idea.
    Why should the opinion of a multi-TR-toon player be any more valid than that of a 1st-timer L5 pally player, still learning the game?
    Because the multi-TRer has a broader perspective and set of experiences with the game. Because they have seen where the game was, what works as you level and what doesn't. I'm not saying the level 5 player's opinion is irrelevant, just that they are going to have a very limited ability to give feedback.

After all, in politics if you want to find the mood of the electorate, you conduct an opinion poll, and don’t just ask one set of party’s members.
    Right, and the devs do occasionally poll the "electorate": it's called The Forums. The "Let's Talk About" threads, and the previews, and Lamannia discussion. That's not what the Council appears to be about. It looks like it's seeking a sounding board for ideas early in the process, for more targeted feedback with whom they are freer to discuss things, because discussions will be locked behind an NDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Agreed.

Sometimes the best way to fix something is to ask somebody how they broke it in the first place. To exclude these folks is to weaken the concept before it even gets going.
    There should probably be at least 1 or 2 players who have some familiarity with exploits on the Council for this reason. Ideally, the sort who find and report an exploit, rather than those who find and abuse one.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

O- Pick me!

Sounds like fun and who knows I may be able to casdt magic missile a the darkness!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

The quickest way to destroy the world is to give everyone what they ask for. (especially those who ask the loudest.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
    arent we all?! hehe

I do not dispute that. Would you, however, grant me the concession that not all, or even a majority, of the Turbine employes who review forums threads are in a position to evaluate or promote the merits of any content beyond adherence to conduct rules?
    so u say that Turbine has no stuff to evaluate and promote ideas that are on the forums?
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing

Community Member

Default A note about continuity

What is the plan for continuity? If council members serve for a year and then the whole council is replaced with new members, how will you maintain continuity? You can't just start over every year from scratch.

I would replace half the council every year. For the first council, let half the council sit for two years and then replace them; that way you will have continuity from year to year as half the council will have a clue.

so u say that Turbine has no stuff to evaluate and promote ideas that are on the forums?
    No. My point was that many of those at Turbine who monitor the forums day and night do so with the intent of regulating content as proscribed by company policy. That is what those folks are paid to do. Expecting Joe Forum Mod to flag particularly novel or well-conceived suggestions is above and beyond his pay grade. While there may be wildly innovative and astute ideas floating about these forums, it is the user base and not the mods or devs who often recognize and promote them. The Player Council is Turbines attempt to reign these savvy users and their ideas into a more cohesive group not so subject to the wildly fluctuating SNR of an open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JP457 View Post
    What is the plan for continuity? If council members serve for a year and then the whole council is replaced with new members, how will you maintain continuity? You can't just start over every year from scratch.

I would replace half the council every year. For the first council, let half the council sit for two years and then replace them; that way you will have continuity from year to year as half the council will have a clue.
    I think 1 year is fine. a lot can happen and a lot of input can be thrown around over that time. 1 year in an MMO is a long time. a new council each year could provide fresh input and new members can pick up where the old members left off. with direct contact with a DDO team, im sure even after the year is over you could still keep in contact with them. even before this council idea people were making suggestions on DDO on the forums and I saw devs commenting if they liked it or not.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

No. My point was that many of those at Turbine who monitor the forums day and night do so with the intent of regulating content as proscribed by company policy. That is what those folks are paid to do. Expecting Joe Forum Mod to flag particularly novel or well-conceived suggestions is above and beyond his pay grade. While there may be wildly innovative and astute ideas floating about these forums, it is the user base and not the mods or devs who often recognize and promote them. The Player Council is Turbines attempt to reign these savvy users and their ideas into a more cohesive group not so subject to the wildly fluctuating SNR of an open forum.
    that's good than. a place where these guys/gals can peacefully talk out their ideas and give good feedback on DDO directly is just what they need and what we need. ive seen some very good suggestions only to be shot down by the players or lost in the multiple forum postings.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by JP457 View Post

Continuity, in this case at any rate, is probably not a good idea. If we were discussing a nation state complete with armed forces, certainly. However, this is a game, subject to considerable population turnover. Maintaining rigorous continuity might tend to entrench certain ideas or expectations, perhaps far beyond any utility or merit. This environment is not so subject to real time events as a sovereign body politic and the responsibilities of Council members to not include safeguarding WMDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    • Split the Level column into Epic Level and Heroic Level columns that can be sorted separately.
    • Add a new XP Bonus/Ransack column.
    Raids would ... appear on the Raid tab instead.
    • There’s a new “Completions” column
    • There’s a new “Timer” column
    These are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

well, i really wish this coucil works for the best, for this game, coz we could really use that, but i just dont see it happen. hope ill prove wrong

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast