I brought my Ranger L13/Fighter L2 out of retirement to see if I could level him to 20 by the 12th for the epic heart. (He is 12k from L18 now).
I noticed the end rewards seemed to be about 90% heavy armor, docents, and clubs/staves for wiz/sorc/healers. This was the case for several quests in a row. I checked and sure enough I had unchecked the option to base end rewards on class. So I went ahead and selected the option to see what would happen if end rewards were based on Ranger.
Now, for about a dozen quests since then, my end rewards have been 30% light armor (junk, but at least it fits a ranger), and the other 70% is mostly two handed weapons and crossbows.