Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default A little love for the Xergers

Funny that I used to get annoyed at Xergers/vets who always seemed to be more than few steps ahead of me, always knew what to expect and seemed dismayed at having to wait on me or having to stop to explain why I needed to do something a certain way... And I certainly did test their patience at times.

Now as I approach my 2nd anniversary with DDO I am realizing that I am becoming... a xerger. I have less and less patience for people that can't find a quest entrance, aren't prepared for the most common ailments and seem to die repeated for almost no reason. For instance: This week I ran STK with a group and 5 of us finished the quest before the 6th person was even at the entrance... waited 5 more minutes before completing only to find out they were FTP and couldn't even enter the Quest? (YES - someone else told them it was PTP at the start...)

I find myself skipping more and more optional content, whereas I used to be a stickler for completing all the optional objectives. I almost prefer to solo some content because it is faster and there is less drama. I even skipped looting some chests recently because it was too much trouble to run across the map to get them...
    My game satisfaction is still very high - just that my play style has changed/evolved.

So a toast to all those in the past who carried my stone through quests and gave me resist pots and/or buffs because I didn't have them and those that dragged me through dungeons as a piker wanna-be.
    And another toast to those whose in-game preparation, execution and awareness matches or surpasses my own because they make the game mo' betta'.

Disclaimer: I am not a rude player and do make a distinction between being fast and efficient as opposed to being an apathetic jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not a rude player and do make a distinction between being fast and efficient as opposed to being an apathetic jerk.
    I am right there with ya brother! I have seen the light. I used to think the game should be savored like a fine wine, not guzzled down like ale by the keg. Eventually, I realized DDO is the Franzia of wine. It comes in a plastic bag, inside a carboard box, with a tap so you can dispense it into your glass filled with ice right from the fridge.

DDO doesn't have anywhere near the depth it appears to have, and if you make it end game with your role play character, it's just going to chew you up and spit you out on the shores of Korthos.

**zerger

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    Funny that I used to get annoyed at Xergers/vets who always seemed to be more than few steps ahead of me, always knew what to expect and seemed dismayed at having to wait on me or having to stop to explain why I needed to do something a certain way... And I certainly did test their patience at times.

Now as I approach my 2nd anniversary with DDO I am realizing that I am becoming... a xerger. I have less and less patience for people that can't find a quest entrance, aren't prepared for the most common ailments and seem to die repeated for almost no reason. For instance: This week I ran STK with a group and 5 of us finished the quest before the 6th person was even at the entrance... waited 5 more minutes before completing only to find out they were FTP and couldn't even enter the Quest? (YES - someone else told them it was PTP at the start...)

I find myself skipping more and more optional content, whereas I used to be a stickler for completing all the optional objectives. I almost prefer to solo some content because it is faster and there is less drama. I even skipped looting some chests recently because it was too much trouble to run across the map to get them...
    My game satisfaction is still very high - just that my play style has changed/evolved.

So a toast to all those in the past who carried my stone through quests and gave me resist pots and/or buffs because I didn't have them and those that dragged me through dungeons as a piker wanna-be.
    And another toast to those whose in-game preparation, execution and awareness matches or surpasses my own because they make the game mo' betta'.

“Fast” and “efficient?” It is a game. If is a form of entertainment. Entertainment is, by definition, something that should not become “efficient” as it is a time-filler.

I don’t see zergers as being better than your average newb player – I see them as worse. They forgot what the game was about, and now focus on something that is next to meaningless: making an uber toon that will vanish once the switch that powers DDO is flipped to the off position.

A guy who has a hobby in something like –say - woodworking can create a piece of furniture or a child’s toy that can last for generations. You, however, are building something that exists in little more than the flow of electrons. And once that flow of electrons goes still, your “accomplishments” basically vanish in the mist.

I don’t find any of what you do “evolved.” I see it as a brain-dead, thoughtless activity repeated over-and-over again for no specific gain or reason.

Which is a problem with zergers: they lack perspective.

There is a lot of gray area in between zerger and clueless noob who took forever to find a quest and couldn't enter when he did find it.

I'm a vet. Have completionist toons and the whole bit. I don't like the grind, so I don't do it. Quite honestly, this "efficiency" thing you talk about is mostly self delusion and rationalization.

It's a game, have fun. If the only way you can have fun is making things as efficient as possible, knock yourself out. But don't be dissing those who either haven't reached that point yet or have moved beyond that point. As someone who has been a zerger and seen the light, I'm here to tell you that the game is what you make it. If you make it a grind-fest of speed, that's what it becomes. But that's not the only way to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    “Fast” and “efficient?” It is a game. If is a form of entertainment. Entertainment is, by definition, something that should not become “efficient” as it is a time-filler.

I don’t see zergers as being better than your average newb player – I see them as worse. They forgot what the game was about, and now focus on something that is next to meaningless: making an uber toon that will vanish once the switch that powers DDO is flipped to the off position.

A guy who has a hobby in something like –say - woodworking can create a piece of furniture or a child’s toy that can last for generations. You, however, are building something that exists in little more than the flow of electrons. And once that flow of electrons goes still, your “accomplishments” basically vanish in the mist.

I don’t find any of what you do “evolved.” I see it as a brain-dead, thoughtless activity repeated over-and-over again for no specific gain or reason.

I rate this troll a 7 out of 10. The only thing holding down the score is the "good players aren't really good" trope.

I get it....u wanna make a popular thread, but zergers vs sniffers has been beaten to death lately. Try one of the other standbys, but not byoh...its a bit stale right now too

I think the one lacking perspective here is you.

Maybe people who zerg are, amazingly enough, entertained by doing things efficiently! Not everyone enjoys the same things as everyone else. Just because you don't think it's enjoyable doesn't mean it isn't.

I have a friend who enjoys doing math. In his free time. As a hobby, not related to his job or anything else. To me, that's not fun at all. To him, it's awesome. Good for him.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Been playing almost 4 1/2 years and the only thing about my attitude and game play that has changed is that I go at a faster pace, not zerg, and I solo a lot more than I used to because its that easy and I can play the way I want to play, which sometimes clashes in groups.

I still try to be a team player, enjoy the ride, time has no meaning to me in an endless game, stand outside a quest entrance in a wilderness zone with ship buffs and xp pot ticking down and try to help others who need it. I only get upset when needless drama affects my fun. I try to have a good time and laugh at deaths. I always remember this is still a game and remember I was once new and I still don't know everything there is to know, so my patience for others is very high.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    I think the one lacking perspective here is you.

Maybe people who zerg are, amazingly enough, entertained by doing things efficiently! Not everyone enjoys the same things as everyone else. Just because you don't think it's enjoyable doesn't mean it isn't.

I have a friend who enjoys doing math. In his free time. As a hobby, not related to his job or anything else. To me, that's not fun at all. To him, it's awesome. Good for him.
    A typical example of what I am saying. You just don’t get it.

This game, like any game, is a means to a) keep one entertained, and b) something to do to pass time. Making questing “efficient” is something you do in actual work to produce more with less time. This is not “work.”

Again. If efficiency is what you are after in DDO, you’re doing it wrong. Pure and simple. You’ve lost the whole point of the game…

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I rate this troll a 7 out of 10. The only thing holding down the score is the "good players aren't really good" trope.
    if they were good players, and zerging, then they wouldn't be skipping the optionals.

You've succumbed to one of the two classic blunders, the first of which is "never start a land war in Asia."

A typical example of what I am saying. You just don’t get it.

This game, like any game, is a means to a) keep one entertained, and b) something to do to pass time. Making questing “efficient” is something you do in actual work to produce more with less time. This is not “work.”

Again. If efficiency is what you are after in DDO, you’re doing it wrong. Pure and simple. You’ve lost the whole point of the game…
    Now I know you're not serious.

Now I know you're not serious.
    Ok, I have a question: your friend who does math as a hobby: does he plug all of his math into a computer program made to solve complex calculations, or does he do them manually?

Ok, I have a question: your friend who does math as a hobby: does he plug all of his math into a computer program made to solve complex calculations, or does he do them manually?
    Interior crocodile alligator.

But zerging is a great pastime and it is a hobby for me.

It is like playing poker. I am the person that has not spent money on DDO in a very long time and have no intention of spending anytime soon. For me to “beat the house” and make more tp than I spend, I need to get my tp quick and not slow. Sure my time is more valuable than grinding out every quest and doing what a F2P has to do just to unlock things, but it is fun for me at least to try to stay ahead of Turbine.

If DDO were to put out something I really wanted and did not have the tp for it, I would have no problem with getting out the CC, but it is actually fun for me to try and see how little I can spend and keep up with the “cool kids”.

You can disagree with my perspective, but this is actual fun to me.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

All those idiots enjoying racing.
    They should know they're doing it wrong, they shouldn't try to beat track records, they should be driving 30mp/h enjoying the viev!
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Interior crocodile alligator.
    Ok, well, since you won’t answer the question I’ll answer it for you.

One of my hobbies is electronics – specifically, musical electronics. I like to play around and create effects pedals for my guitar. It is a “hobby.”

If I wanted to be “efficient” I’d make my own effects processor using a 32-bit processor, that I could get as a demo board, and just code the effects that I want. This is because I know both the hardware AND the software side of this equation. If I REALLY wanted to get fancy, I’d then make my own design, and put it into production. All of that costs money, but it is “efficient.”

You want to know the depth of knowledge that is required to make your own effects board after that? Next to none. There is very little challenge to all of that.

Instead, I make stuff with discrete components. It is not as efficient as the other way of doing it, but efficiency is not the POINT in doing it.

That’s what differentiates a hobby from an actual job.

Again, you guys are missing the point of playing DDO.

Hero

Again, you guys are missing the point of playing DDO.
    And your missing the bigger point that people play for many different reasons and not a single one of them is wrong.

No, I believe you simply have yet to see the true point of the game. There's no depth in DDO. No adventure. No teamwork and cooperation to overcome adversity. There is only grind, which is bountifully rewarded with powerups.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    If DDO were to put out something I really wanted and did not have the tp for it, I would have no problem with getting out the CC, but it is actually fun for me to try and see how little I can spend and keep up with the “cool kids”.
    Most of the “cool kids” in my school ended up as a bunch of losers in real life. They were the people I aspired not to become.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast