Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yellow cube-let code requirement unreasonable

I think your requirement to get the code for the yellow cube-let for liking DDO on facebook is ridiculous and unreasonable. I am not giving a third party that I do not know access to my public profile, friends list, email address, birthday, current city and likes just to get a promotional item. You don't need all that information and neither does offerpop (third party in question) need this info. Come up with a different way to give us the code without requiring us to give our information to a third party provider so they can spam us and our friends on facebook and via email with offers we don't want or didn't ask for.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kik97 View Post
    I think your requirement to get the code for the yellow cube-let for liking DDO on facebook is ridiculous and unreasonable. I am not giving a third party that I do not know access to my public profile, friends list, email address, birthday, current city and likes just to get a promotional item. You don't need all that information and neither does offerpop (third party in question) need this info. Come up with a different way to give us the code without requiring us to give our information to a third party provider so they can spam us and our friends on facebook and via email with offers we don't want or didn't ask for.
    It's not like they're twisting your arm. I don't understand your outrage. Yeah, it's kind of a creepy business tactic, but it's 100% opt-in and you can chose not to.

Facebook and Creature Companions are both lame.

You get something if you do it, and DDO gets something. If what you get isn't worth what you have to give, then the offer is not for you.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 105)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

So whats the problem, you dont agree with terms you dont get free pet.
    I dont see a problem here.
    And you do know you can make another fake account?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I don't understand your outrage.
    Here, allow me to assist you in understanding:

Without that Yellow Cubelet, their collection will be incomplete! I mean, can you imagine what a laughing stock they'll be at the next Companionmon Convention? The shame of it! Shame on Turbine for making such a superfluous part of the game freely available at the expense of sharing such private and secure information as that which is entered on a Facebook Page!
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Uber Completionist

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post

Without that Yellow Cubelet, their collection will be incomplete! I mean, can you imagine what a laughing stock they'll be at the next Companionmon Convention? The shame of it! Shame on Turbine for making such a superfluous part of the game freely available at the expense of sharing such private and secure information as that which is entered on a Facebook Page!
    I'm doomed.... since I didn't start playing at the time of release, I most likely missed all kinds of promotional pets...... How will I ever be able to play DDO with this in mind now

What exactly are people scared of? You think Turbine's going to find out about that time you followed a link to some tranny website accidentally and tell all your friends that you're interested in he-she's? LOL Seriously... same with the cell phone tapping ****... Imagine: "Hello miss Carlsburg? This is some Spy agency We thought you'd like to know that your husband spent 25 minutes on "1800over-18-barely" when he took that business trip to Jersey last month".

Here's a tip: no one gives a **** about you except as a faceless metric datapoint. If you don't want something known about you, don't ever do or say anything about it on Facebook, or if it's liable to trip a keyword parsing computer algorithm, don't say it over a cell phone. You're welcome now move on with your lives and stop pretending you have something important that anyone else wants on your facebook page.
    Last edited by IronClan; 01-06-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Community Member

I am not giving a third party that I do not know access to my public profile, friends list, email address, birthday, current city and likes just to get a promotional item. You don't need all that information and neither does offerpop (third party in question) need this info.
    This isn't as bad as the Offerwall, and the Offerwall wasn't that bad in the first place.

I think it's good to know the value (yellow cube pet) that Turbine equates with a player's Facebook profile data.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Ya want the Yellow cube like them ya dont like them you dont get it. It's not like it has any game effects at all except maybe to annoy people who dont like the pets.

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post

Can't we go back to the good old days when we just had to con 3 friends into playing this game that used to give us so much joy, but now makes us so very sad?

The part that bothers me is that there is no mention of this on the page or any of the advertising.

You click Like (they got something, a social medial hit)
    You are taken to another page to redeem your code (not unreasonable)
    You are asked to share not only your information (which is bad enough) but your entire contact list (THIS is gross invasion of privacy) with a Spam company.

Many I suspect will cancel at this point not wanting to fill their inbox as well as the inboxes of their friends with spam. However DDO still got a social media advertising hit announcing to he world that you "liked DDO". Even if you subsequently unlike DDO they still got their free advertising.

Now don't get me wrong I don't care if my friends and family see that I "liked" DDO (and oh boy is that getting closer to a literal statement by the day). They all know I play it.

What I object to is the the requirement to violate the privacy of my friends as well as myself in order to get this companion. A requirement that is mentioned NOWHERE in the advertising.

It's like a massage parlor advertising free massages if you like them on facebook but when you get their you find out the parlor is in the state pen and Bubba is your
    "Masseuse" for the evening.

Community Member

In this day and age you need to have a fake Facebook account that can't be linked to your real for all your spam needs. You wouldn't sign up for all those services requiring an email address with your primary one, would you?

Protip: Facebook pages are the new email addresses. Create one for work, keep it clean. Have one for actual friends, be careful who you invite. The rest are for spammy BS like coupon codes and people you really don't like.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Every single post you make on facebook or twitter and every search you make on amazon/ebay/google/yahoo is already collected and stored by marketing companies anyway. May as well get a free pet.
    Last edited by axel15810; 01-07-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Community Member

It's not like they're twisting your arm. I don't understand your outrage. Yeah, it's kind of a creepy business tactic, but it's 100% opt-in and you can chose not to.

You are right, its opt in and not even something special.
    But still its a **** move from Turbine using some 3rd Party Spam Company when they already have bad reputation from their past mistakes.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Agreed.
    Personally, I don't care about Facebook - but i like DDO, and i don't understand all this fuss with that companions fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    What exactly are people scared of? <blah blah>

Here's a tip: no one gives a **** about you except as a faceless metric datapoint. If you don't want something known about you, don't ever do or say anything about it on Facebook, or if it's liable to trip a keyword parsing computer algorithm, don't say it over a cell phone. You're welcome now move on with your lives and stop pretending you have something important that anyone else wants on your facebook page.
    Most people don't like others snooping into personal details of their life. Doesn't mean that they're scared, that's just a provocative counter-argument that you're using. But the ever-growing spying on what people say anywhere is getting kinda scary indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoaly View Post
    This isn't as bad as the Offerwall, and the Offerwall wasn't that bad in the first place.

I think it's good to know the value (yellow cube pet) that Turbine equates with a player's Facebook profile data.
    Yeah, good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Ya want the Yellow cube like them ya dont like them you dont get it. It's not like it has any game effects at all except maybe to annoy people who dont like the pets.
    Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    You are right, its opt in and not even something special.
    But still its a **** move from Turbine using some 3rd Party Spam Company when they already have bad reputation from their past mistakes.
    Right on
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Or, you know, just write off the free Cube as something not worth your investment?

The fact is, social media is playing a bigger and bigger role in brand awareness and companies are engaging in using that device. The best way to get some free advertising for them is by offering an incentive. If you don't want to participate, don't. We're not talking about something that has any effect whatsoever in the game! It's a cosmetic item (and not even an incredibly unique one)!
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    You get something if you do it, and DDO gets something. If what you get isn't worth what you have to give, then the offer is not for you.
    This. There is nothing I can think of Turbine could offer me that would get me to log onto my real Facebook account and give them access to this data. Granted, the data in my real Facebook account is accurate, but it is minimal and I rarely "like" any company. I am certainly not going to "like" Turbine and reveal a whole load of information about myself to them, their third party partner, and everyone who views my profile.

Facebook:

Now with extra dystopia.

No thanks.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Quote Originally Posted by Grecan View Post

Most people don't like others snooping into personal details of their life. Doesn't mean that they're scared, that's just a provocative counter-argument that you're using. But the ever-growing spying on what people say anywhere is getting kinda scary indeed.

Shouldnt have posted it anywhere on the internet then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast