Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DDO Dragons vs. Movie Dragons

We've had a bit of fun with Smaug, now let;s compare D&D / DDO dragons to other movie dragons.

There is the male dragon from Reign of Fire.

There is the dragon from Dragonslayer (Disney movie circa 1980).

There are the dragons from Harry Potter.

I'll skip Dragonheart and movies of that ilk, mainly because the movies sucked.

Discuss.

The dragon from Dragonslayer is by far my favorite. The way it moves. The way it acts. The way it flies. The way it breathes fire while still watching its' prey for any shenanigans. Everything.

Community Member

Not a dd movie, but the best dragon on screen so far i think is the fire dragon from the latest hobbit movie. The graphics and motion of the dragon is simply spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Draksel View Post
    The dragon from Dragonslayer is by far my favorite. The way it moves. The way it acts. The way it flies. The way it breathes fire while still watching its' prey for any shenanigans. Everything.

Having not yet seen smaug, I have to agree.

I love love love the creatures in reign of fire but they are not dragons they are wyverns or drakes at best. They only have four limbs. I don't care what Christian bale calls them, they're not dragons.

Dragonheart did not suck. It was just schmaltzy is all.

Of course, until you've seen a great blue western dragon hosting a talk show they're all going to look special. That just fosters resentment amongst you lesser races. It would have all gone very different for poor velah if she'd just hosted a few sing a long nights in the lobster and got a few of you mortals on board...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Im waiting for the next season of Game of Thrones to see what they do with Drogon.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Draksel View Post
    Still one of my faves too. That movie was nominated for an Oscar based on the use of blurred stop-motion animation. You have to look pretty close to actually see it.

But the action: 100% true. It was indeed a cunning predator.

The dragon from Reign of Fire, however, had a VERY menacing look - the way the lips curled up as it snarled, exposing its teeth. It was a beast that look as vicious and nasty as it truly was. In some ways, the look of it reminds me of the DDO dragons a tad.

I also forgot to mention the two D&D movies that are out there: the actual Dungeons and Dragons movie (which I thought was terrible), and the SyFy movie, with the Dracolich (sorta so so movie).

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Hmpf

I saw the Hobbit over the weekend and the Smaug had great animation. I do have beef with other parts of the film. However, I enjoyed this dragon very much.

When we got home from the theater my buddy wanted take on a red dragon, but he plays static games. I logged into DDO and there was a VON5/6 (thanks everyone if it seemed like I was piking), so I joined the lfm and said I would show him one : ) )

Of course he had a million questions about DDO as the party progressed. It was really late by that time. Maybe he will pick up DDO and start playing?

Its a wait an see if big red go under his skin : ) )

The dragon from Dragonslayer is by far my favorite.
    Not a dragon. Firebreathing wyvern.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

I had a couple of little beefs with Smaug from the latest Hobbit movie.

First, I think they got rid of his front legs. Instead they went for the "wyvern" look, with the wing-claws being used as his front legs. Boo. That turns him into a wyvern, not a dragon.
    Second, he was too "snake-like". Smaug was supposed to be vast and enormous, not a sleek little lizard. He moved ponderously, deliberately. I was hoping that his conversation with Bilbo would be mostly him just sitting there looking bemused, rather than running around agitatedly.
    Thirdly, in the book he went after Laketown because Bilbo kind of implied that's where he was from, so Smaug went to burn it down in revenge for Bilbo having stole from him. Not because "oh, you like them? ho ho ho, I'm sadistic and evil, so I'll go destroy it because I'm sadistic and evil!" Pshaw.

It was a decent movie, but I was disappointed with Smaug. Graphically he was great, but his portrayal was a bit lacking imo.

As far as the best movie dragons? Hrm. I did really like the dragon from Suckerpunch. I loved how it was flying around chasing the airplane during the one scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Not a dragon. Firebreathing wyvern.
    Well, then they should have called the film Firebreathing Wyvernslayer...lolz.

I was 9 when this film came out, and I clearly remember this film opening mine and my friends eyes/minds such that we have been playing D&D ever since. (2nd Ed. FTW!)

I saw the Hobbit over the holiday, and I agree with the sentiment that Smaug is a little too worm like, or maybe too much of a nod to the dragons of Chinese lore. I seem to recall reading/seeing an interview with Smaugs animators where they mention they had tried to incorporate many different dragon lores/types into Smaug. Don't get me wrong, I was still thoroughly entertained...only disappointed in where they chose to end the 2nd film.

2016 DDO Players Council RD2play's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post

First, I think they got rid of his front legs. Instead they went for the "wyvern" look, with the wing-claws being used as his front legs. Boo. That turns him into a wyvern, not a dragon.
    Second, he was too "snake-like". Smaug was supposed to be vast and enormous, not a sleek little lizard. He moved ponderously, deliberately. I was hoping that his conversation with Bilbo would be mostly him just sitting there looking bemused, rather than running around agitatedly.
    Thirdly, in the book he went after Laketown because Bilbo kind of implied that's where he was from, so Smaug went to burn it down in revenge for Bilbo having stole from him. Not because "oh, you like them? ho ho ho, I'm sadistic and evil, so I'll go destroy it because I'm sadistic and evil!" Pshaw.

It was a decent movie, but I was disappointed with Smaug. Graphically he was great, but his portrayal was a bit lacking imo.
    This ! .. the graphics were great! but please Hollywood get your facts straight! similar with the harry potter basilisk, which imo should have been a lizard and not a snake !

The definition for a wyvern is "a two-legged dragon having wings and a barbed tail." I think only D&D and other fantasy games make an actual distinction between a dragon and a a wyvern. It is interesting that - from what I can tell - the Old English root for wyrm and wyvern both refer to snakes. Although wyvern refers to a specific type of snake: adders, vipers, and/or asps. The distinction, I think, would be that one uses venom, and the other does not.

I guess that means Green Dragons should technically be considered a wyvern.

I think - especially after the shellacking I took in a PUG recently - that the best comparison to Smaug would be the mama dragon in Mired in Kobolds, though she does not fly in the fight.

Community Member

As far as the best movie dragons? Hrm. I did really like the dragon from Suckerpunch. I loved how it was flying around chasing the airplane during the one scene.
    Smaug is only the new standard due to a severe lack of any good standard previously set. We're only just now getting to an age where they can make good fantasy movies without making them seem totally cheesy, and I'm not convinced that it's a real trend yet. I agree that Smaug was both portrayed wrong in character and physically, but still... decent I guess. So far I've been very unimpressed by the Hobbit movies. In addition to the fact that they're stretching a book half as long as any of the LoTR trilogy into 3 movies by adding content from other sources (some made up I think), my bigger issue is that they've turned it into a video game targeted at 10 year olds. The action is so unrealistic and over done it really detracts from the story and feels more like watching someone play a video game. And the result is that I feel like I've been sold a cheap knock-off, that the creators know they've created junk but know we'll buy it anyway, and buy it 3 times (3 movies) so they can make a fortune.

My biggest beefs were:

1) The dust-up in the dwarf city that re-lit the forges. Nowhere in the books, nor did it add anything to the movie. It was an blatant Hollywood move to make more of the dragon sequence for dramatic effect. Plus, it was over-the-top, Fonzi-jumps-the shark moment that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

2) The whole Legolas Turiel sequence that a) was never in the books at all, b) silly in the extreme. Orlando Bloom should have been content with a bit part. Instead, it was another gaudy Hollywood ploy to get female audiences in the seats while trashing the story line.

3) The whole Turiel / smitten-Dwarf subplot that was, again, just utterly silly. They could have just lopped that off and thrown it out and no one - NO ONE - would have noticed or cared.

Despite the creative license they used, the stuck pretty close to the story in the first film (They overplayed Azog, but oh well), and then just kinda got butt-stupid in the second film. Then again thy attempted this with the second Lord of the Rings film, having Arwen show up at the Battle of Helms Deep. Tolkien fans had a screaming, bleeding-out-the-eyeball fit about that "addition". They promptly removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    My biggest beefs were:

1) The dust-up in the dwarf city that re-lit the forges. Nowhere in the books, nor did it add anything to the movie. It was an blatant Hollywood move to make more of the dragon sequence for dramatic effect. Plus, it was over-the-top, Fonzi-jumps-the shark moment that should have been left on the cutting room floor.
    Yeah, I definitely agree. It was silly, contrived, and pointless. Plus it made Smaug look kind of dumb, which in the book he was definitely not. Arrogant, yes, but he wasn't dumb.

2) The whole Legolas Turiel sequence that a) was never in the books at all, b) silly in the extreme. Orlando Bloom should have been content with a bit part. Instead, it was another gaudy Hollywood ploy to get female audiences in the seats while trashing the story line.
    I didn't mind Legolas showing up, really. While he's an attractive guy, yeah, I went to see the movie 'cause it was The Hobbit, not cause of Orlando Bloom.

3) The whole Turiel / smitten-Dwarf subplot that was, again, just utterly silly. They could have just lopped that off and thrown it out and no one - NO ONE - would have noticed or cared.
    I agree with this one too. That part was silly. I really, really hate "love at first sight" type plotlines. They're cliche, and usually very badly done.

Despite the creative license they used, the stuck pretty close to the story in the first film (They overplayed Azog, but oh well), and then just kinda got butt-stupid in the second film. Then again thy attempted this with the second Lord of the Rings film, having Arwen show up at the Battle of Helms Deep. Tolkien fans had a screaming, bleeding-out-the-eyeball fit about that "addition". They promptly removed it.
    Yup. It seems like the middle movie in both trilogies is likely to be the weakest one. Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed that they added so much padding to make it a trilogy in the first place. It could have been two movies without all the extraneous padding. I guess we'll wait to see what the third one is like, and see what Smaug looks like when he's airborn.

Yup. It seems like the middle movie in both trilogies is likely to be the weakest one. Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed that they added so much padding to make it a trilogy in the first place. It could have been two movies without all the extraneous padding. I guess we'll wait to see what the third one is like, and see what Smaug looks like when he's airborn.
    THe problem with this was the sheer level of nerdrage many hard core LOTR fans had when Peter Jackson left alot out of the first 3 movies, because he had one movie to represent each book, so what do they do? They make the next trilogy only represent one book, and because of having so much screen time, added some stuff in for todays casual fan audience, which draws even more nerdrage from the hard core LOTR fans.

And where are all these hot elf women who fall instantly in love with the first scruffy unshaven battle weary dude they come accross. Shes got Orlando Bloom in elf form eyeing her up for the past few hundred years, and she swoons over the first dwarf she sees? LOL. Elf ladies having beard fever must make money on the silver screen.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    THe problem with this was the sheer level of nerdrage many hard core LOTR fans had when Peter Jackson left alot out of the first 3 movies, because he had one movie to represent each book, so what do they do? They make the next trilogy only represent one book, and because of having so much screen time, added some stuff in for todays casual fan audience, which draws even more nerdrage from the hard core LOTR fans.
    I'm not really a "hard core LOTR fan", but I do like the books a lot. They were some of the first fantasy novels I ever read as a wee lass, and they hold a special place in my heart. My parents got me a huge, glossy-color print of The Hobbit (with lots of images from the animated Bakshi movie) when I was little. It was one of my favorite things. When I first heard they were going to be making a movie for it, I was bouncing around going "Smaug Smaug Smaug!"

And where are all these hot elf women who fall instantly in love with the first scruffy unshaven battle weary dude they come accross. Shes got Orlando Bloom in elf form eyeing her up for the past few hundred years, and she swwons over the first dwarf she sees? LOL. Elf ladies having beard fever must make money on the silver screen.
    I know, seriously! I mean yeah, Aidan Turner is not hard on the eyes either, but jaysus woman. It's not like he was being all romantic and dashing with her. He told her a little story about a trinket he had, and suddenly she was all swooning over him? Silly silly silly.
    Last edited by Lorianna; 01-06-2014 at 03:34 PM.

I'm waiting for the special edition Hobbit, where they take all three movies and cut them together removing all the excess garbage like they should have from the start.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    my bigger issue is that they've turned it into a video game targeted at 10 year olds. The action is so unrealistic and over done it really detracts from the story and feels more like watching someone play a video game.
    Very much so
    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    My biggest beefs were:

I think the "stone giants" portion of the first movie is even worse in this regard, and the escape from Goblin Town nearly so.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I think the "stone giants" portion of the first movie is even worse in this regard
    I don't have my copy of the book handy, but I do remember there being a sequence about Bilbo seeing giants in the mountains. Not that the involved the dwarves at all. That part was just pointless. As I recall, it was storming and the giants were having fun by throwing rocks at one another. Not a battle to the death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast