Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo?

Community Member

Default Solo?

So I have levelled my Monk to lvl 10. Being a vet of many MMORPGs, I can tell that he is completely OP. I have been able to Solo a bunch of quests that state "balanced party recommended." But I got my butt handed to me on the Khyber Jungle Quest for Vault of Night and started looking up quests. It looks like there are very few solo quests from here on out.

So my question is, can you solo in this game? Or is there a point where the game forces you to group?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayshirley View Post
    So I have levelled my Monk to lvl 10. Being a vet of many MMORPGs, I can tell that he is completely OP. I have been able to Solo a bunch of quests that state "balanced party recommended." But I got my butt handed to me on the Khyber Jungle Quest for Vault of Night and started looking up quests. It looks like there are very few solo quests from here on out.

So my question is, can you solo in this game? Or is there a point where the game forces you to group?
    Almost every quest in this game can be soloed.

There are very few quests in the game that absolutelly requires a group. All of them are because you need to be physically present in two or more places at the same time. Smart playing with hirelings and summons and pets can circunvent some of them.

Now, the quests will be more challenging to solo once you passs the double digits. While it is possible to solo, be prepared to fail some, specially if it is your first time running them.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

With good gear and a lot of practice you can solo pretty much everything (there are a couple of quests which really do require a group).

Make sure you have a Deadly item (Deadly of Accuracy if you find you miss a bit). Resistance item. Fortitude item. Speed item. Maybe a Seeker item. You want a bit of Dex and Str, but should probably be aiming to stack a lot of Wis. So have some items which buff those too. At level 10 you can start to get some reasonable combinations. If you have made a fair bit of Platinum, spend a bit on the blue bordered items which have Master Crafting because these are slightly more powerful (they are basically 2 levels higher).

Get some good Handwraps. Bring lots of pots (CSW, Remove Curse, Cure Disease, Lesser Restoration are the main ones).

Practice the dungeons which you find hard by running them first on Normal, then Hard, then try Elite. Or look for groups running it and watch how they run it.

But yes, you are right, Monks are Pay2Win

There are usually difficulty jumps in the game everywhere there used to be a level cap. So, for example, lvl 8 quests (stormcleave outpost, etc) will be difficult because it used to be end gameish when the level cap was 8.

You'll see similar difficulty jumps around lvl 11, lvl 15, and level 20.

It's very possible to solo most things on elite all the way to level 20, since I've gone from 1-20 (mostly) solo for several lives now. Think every class but may be maybe barbarian can solo almost anything, with monk being one of the stronger solo classes.

At least some of that ability is just having the right gear for the job. For example, if you got to the end boss of VoN 3, then you may have had a really difficult time because you didn't have a chaos aligned weapon to break the Marut's DR. While experienced players just equip their Marut beating weapon and beat him down.

Community Member

What you need to solo at higher levels:

1) A reliable source of healing. This can be self healing where you have a high Use Magic Device (UMD) skill and use cleric scrolls on yourself, or if you splash a few levels of cleric you can cast some healing spells on yourself. Without knowing your build, I can't make any specific recommendations, but they need to be planned out pretty early in character building. For example, a human monk with healing amplification maxed out can essentially solo and keep himself healed just using vampiric weapons.

An easier way might be just to keep a cleric or favored soul hireling around to cast healing spells on you in quests.

2) experience with the quests, specifically:

a) where are the traps? where do I need to be so the traps don't kill me and/or my hireling.
    b) what damage reduction do I need for the monsters. At the end of Jungle of Kyber (= VON 3 = Vault of Night, quest 3), for example, the marut needs to be hit with chaos or anarchic weapons or your weapons are not very effective. This is especially true at higher levels.

3) A realistic understanding of what your character can do at each level (casual/normal/hard/elite) of difficulty.

For example, my toon with 20 past lives and gear up the ****er can pretty much solo anything on elite and I'm not worried. My other gimpy toons go into stuff on casual or normal when I'm soloing.

Know your limitations.

Be patient and learn the game. Play on casual and normal to learn the quests, then at higher levels when you're ready. Your first life, first toon character probably is never going to complete In the Flesh or Running with the Devils by himself on elite. But casual might be possible.

4) Patience. Some classes get a slow start and then get amazing towards the end of the game (clerics). Others start off great and then begin to trail off (monks)*. Others are great forever (war-forged wizards). You won't really learn the game until you've played all the different roles (offensive caster, healer, tank, dps) in the game, so you'll have to adjust how you solo things depending on which role your character is. A Warforged Sorc is just gonna acid blast everything til they stop moving. A cleric is just going to blade barrier and kite. Melee guys might move more slowly. Ranged toons play completely differently. The nice thing about the game is that it feels different when you're playing different types of characters.

5) Don't play alone. I know that I had tons of people who helped me learn how to play and discover things that I never would have on my own. The community is generally good. Avoid bravery bonus groups, because those will have the powergamers in them that are least likely to want to take the time to tell you stuff.

Post your own lfms and say "normal, my first time, other newbies welcome" and go explore and have fun.

6) Find quests you enjoyed playing and do them a bunch of times. Not only will you get some nice xp, you'll become experienced enough that you could show others how to run those quests.

Sorry for the walls of texts.

*Yes, YOUR monkcher is the best. This guy's first toon is not your monkcher. He's probably using +2 aberration bane handwraps of shattermantle.

^^ What others have said. Basically, unless it says it's a group-challenge, or the wiki says that more than two things need to happen at once, then you can solo it, with or without a hireling. My main toon is currently level 16 and still soloing content with hirelings. The advice regarding your weapons and equipment is dead-on, and the reason I carry at least several different weapon sets dropped into my toolbars. (Also: Fortification. 60% and up if you can get it.) Granted, I run most stuff at normal difficulty and probably won't do hard or elite until I'm higher level, but I'm still doing it and having fun.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (26 Tempest), Heldre (17 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (13 Ranger), Alansa (22 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (26 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (16 Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by Sianys View Post
    ^^ What others have said. Basically, unless it says it's a group-challenge, or the wiki says that more than two things need to happen at once, then you can solo it, with or without a hireling. My main toon is currently level 16 and still soloing content with hirelings. The advice regarding your weapons and equipment is dead-on, and the reason I carry at least several different weapon sets dropped into my toolbars. (Also: Fortification. 60% and up if you can get it.) Granted, I run most stuff at normal difficulty and probably won't do hard or elite until I'm higher level, but I'm still doing it and having fun.
    You can get 100% fort at level 9 as a free player

run this quest, its level 12 but you can run it on casual and still get all the ore you need, and you don't have to complete it to get the reward, if you were on a streak and didnt want to break it
    http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Relic_of_a_Sovereign_Past

collect all the adamantine ore, and turn them into the npc in the quest (Galrias)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:A_R...t_reward_items

Get this item first
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Nightforge_Gorget
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 01-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.

So my question is, can you solo in this game?
    Oh yes. Barbarian and Fighter are probably the hardest two pure with Rogue coming in a close third in order to solo things (Rogue's have UMD to help them out on healing at later levels but still suffer DPS issues because of SA loss while solo; they can sneak through dungeons though )

Or is there a point where the game forces you to group?
    There are some quests you need hireling/pets/DD but they are far and few between. Raids can also be quite difficult to solo if not playing certain classes/builds. Monks are quite able to do all of this stuff though.

Human "Light" Monk is probably the safest 1st life Monk you can make if you were wondering.

Can't really add much more than the good advice you have received.

I play Monks almost exclusively and solo very often. The only places you'll have issues are quests where mandatory and multiple actions must be done, such as the levers to the prisoner wells in "Genesis Point" (L18), some Necropolis quests and Xorian Cypher.

Familiarity with each adventure as well as diversity in your abilities should make soloing easy. I prefer stealth. It can help you define when and where you want to fight in most cases. Monks get Hide and Move Silently skills; consider adding points there and wearing items to give you bonuses. Many players just bludgeon their way through a quest, with varying degrees of resource loss. You do have other options.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

The big question is: do you play on normal/casual or elite?

There is quite a difference between soloing normal and soloing elite.

Community Member

You should be able to solo any Normal-level quest of all the F2P content. There are 1 or 2 exceptions where you must take your time, pull a lever/be two places at once.

At normal, you shouldn't need a hireling and should be able to do most quests between 3-4 levels above your own. Try out some level 12-13 quests, they won't be as hard as you think provided you're taking your time.

Some quests on hard become substantially more difficult, while others barely change. These may require a hireling, but with a cleric you should be able to still do the vast majority of quests several levels prior to being "at level."

Once you reach elite, in my experience (first life, pure fighter), if you're at level you should be able to handle many quests, while others will become nearly impossible. You may not run into this problem quite as often as I do as you have evasion which makes traps WAY less of a problem. However, even then once you get a few levels over you should be able to tank the traps and easily complete the rest of the content.
    - (Traps become 10x more deadly than any mob in the quest. If you can get through traps on Elite it's rare that anything else should be able to kill you)

I do have one exception to those general rules though;

Beholders are a significant challenge for nearly anyone who isn't immune to level drain. Quests with beholders can be very challenging, sometimes even on normal when above level.

8, actually. Kill lots of giants and get collectibles, turn in to Verisgaunt in House J for random blue augments. Sapphire of Heavy Fort is ML8. Then just find a blue or green slot to stick it in.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    Beholders are a significant challenge for nearly anyone who isn't immune to level drain. Quests with beholders can be very challenging, sometimes even on normal when above level.
    Yes and no. Beholders can spew out a lot of debuffs and unpleasant effects, but they're also quite squishy. Their range isn't very good, either, so if you have ranged abilities they are plenty easy to deal with.

Immunity to negative levels isn't the trick, it's being able to get rid of them once you have them.

DDO is kind of a weird game in that sometimes it's actually EASIER to solo than to do things with a group and this has very little to do with whether you're hypothetically supposed to need a group or not.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    8, actually. Kill lots of giants and get collectibles, turn in to Verisgaunt in House J for random blue augments. Sapphire of Heavy Fort is ML8. Then just find a blue or green slot to stick it in.
    This with Heavy Fort is probably the best mid-level monk robe in the game: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Quicksilver_Cassok

I see people wearing that puppy into epic levels.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I saw the thread title and am disappointed that it's not a thread about the new rap song "Suahagin Only Live Once"
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post

run this quest, its level 12 but you can run it on casual and still get all the ore you need, and you don't have to complete it to get the reward, if you were on a streak and didnt want to break it
    http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Relic_of_a_Sovereign_Past

collect all the adamantine ore, and turn them into the npc in the quest (Galrias)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:A_R...t_reward_items

Get this item first
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Nightforge_Gorget
    I would just go to the Auction House and look for a Master Craft Heavy Fort item...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    I would just go to the Auction House and look for a Master Craft Heavy Fort item...
    Sure, you may get lucky there.

I did bid on such an item once... got my bid in early, wouldn't have been able later as it rose above my l8 f2p plat cap.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaatan View Post
    Almost every quest in this game can be soloed.
    ^this^

You may have to invest in gear, or tweak the build, but it can be done. Try not running at difficulties higher than your level. Like von3 on hard, not elite; for your level 10ness.

Community Member

It's all about knowledge. DDO wiki really can help.

Doing new things and exploring places you have never been in is great but sometimes a little help makes life more enjoyable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast