Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Question on "How many characters to play?"

Nooby question, that is why I am here in this section, asking this;

Is it a waste of time to play 5-10 characters??

Is it better to play 1-2 characters to level 20? or 28?

Does reincarnate really make a difference? and should I do it at level 20 ? or head into epic levels?

right now I'm playing 5 different characters, all different classes. I level them all up around the same time, redoing quests for each. They are all between lvl 9-13 right now. I'm having fun doing this, but I also find myself trying to equip them all which can be expensive. The good thing about it, is the hand-me-downs and finding items for the lower characters.

Should I pick 1-2 and get them to 20, then try another class with that character?

Community Member

Your question comes down to how you wish to play DDO.

If you enjoy starting many characters and trying different stuff, equipping them with end-game gear may not be a priority. I played that way for a long tie.

On the other hand, if you want to focus and build for extra strong toons and the play-it-again-end-game that Turbine has, it can be better to play one or two toons and keep doing TR/Epic reinc's to get your variety. I have moved towards this style, but I still have a healthy supply of alts.

There isn't a one and only "right" way to have fun in a game.

Community Member

^^What he said.

If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

In the current game, as few as possible.

Back when people actually raided and not everyone we self-sufficient people would have many more toons. Having a healer, tank, etc . . . in your stable makes sense.

Now?

It's all a "Heal yourself" and the whole game is about running as many lifes as possible. If I were a new player I'd play MAYBE two characters.

Myself? I have 6. For have multiple PLs and EPLs. My Healer (cleric) and bard will remain 32-point forever.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

As much as you can handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

i would stick with 1 main and a few alts, ive been trying to stagger my alts lv for when the TR groups get split up. everyone should have 1 healer (so they know the pain)
    but it shouldnt be too bad doing it the way you are now. when the raids where run allot, it made sence to have alts to run 3 or 4 times but now with raids being about dead, no need

Community Member

Personally I focus on two, ones a Heroic TR with a lot more TR'ing to do and the other an Epic TR with the possibility of more TR'ing to do. It allows me to have something in both Heroic and Epics that I can work on and suits me fine.
    I also have a few characters held at certain levels, this is to have something I can run with Guildies or friends if they need help.

The equipment problem will happen no matter how you play, farm and buy then a gain few levels and repeat. If you do make a TR character then don't sell off the old items, save them as they might prove handy in the next life or life after that.
    My Toons:
    DWP - Fighter/Favored Soul, Olur Takun - Something, Perddy Elfie - Artificer, Tamqil Jemhar - Ranger

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

That is up to you.

I play a HUGE amount of characters.
    But not often.

If I had no alts, I would seldom get anything from a chest that I wanted to keep.
    At least with alts, I can pull something and be happy that one of my alts can use it.

At the same time, my alts are underpowered, because it is harder to equip more than one character.

But then there are LFMs.
    few and far between.... but having alts means I have options.

The more alts, the easier it is to find some group that is doing something fun IMO.

And grinding is boring.
    But I can do a quest on a different toon and get mroe fun out o fit than doing it on the same.

Alts are fun.
    Variety is fun.
    Redoing content in a different way...
    More groups.
    More use for those cool sets of armor... or other loot. (Wow a disruptor... too bad AwesomeAlt already has one...but I can give it to SubAwesomeAlt!)

But slower progression.
    Less powerful when you have to gear several toons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    In the current game, as few as possible.
    That, unfortunatelly. Specially if you are a casual type. I would recommend one or two, with very different playstyles (eg, a melee and a caster, or a roguish type and a sturdy healer). More than that, only if you have a ton of free time into your hands.

While currently it is not as laborious to farm out past lifes as it was before, there are three major changes in the last years that changed the game from "a sea of alts" to "focus on few". I will list them considering you are a new player.

First, there is a lot of gear that binds to character on equip. Back in time, we had a good balance between bound to character (BtC) and bound to account (BtA) gear. As a rule of thumb, raid gear was BtC, and chain rewards were BtA. Everything else was unbound. This ensued that if you find a nice generic piece of named gear, you could put it on the shared bank, and use it on another alt, once you outgrow it. With the focus on BtC gear, if you want that nice piece of gear on your alt, you either "save them" to be on that alt, or you farm another one with him. Thus, switching old gear to new alts stopped being a "thing" you do.

Second, once you hit level 20, you become Epic. The major change is that you get access to Epic Destinies. One of the major benefits you can get from epic destinies are Fate Points, that you get from gaining levels on different ones. For a casual player, max out an ED is a laborious job, and it is bound for you to have 2-3 EDs you simply can't like it no matter what. Having to farm XP to max out the EDs in all your alts is even more problematic, thus, the single character focus pays off.

Third and last, raids have a timer. Once you complete a raid, you can't run it again until three days have passed. In the past, DDO used to have about half dozen raids worth running all the time, so if you had alts, you could run more raids while your main is on timer. It would also help with specific group formations, so you would have an arcane, a healer, a tank... But two things changed since that era. First, they started to sell Raid Timer Bypass Hourglass, that basically removes the timer from raids. So, if you really, REALLY want to run the same raid again, you can just drink a bypass and run it again with your main. Second, because of the recent raising of level cap, all old raids are dead, and the raid scenes died alongside it. There are only two epic raids worth running nowadays (promisse of a third one coming this year), and because of the bypass, the most active players already farmed EVRYTHING they wanted from those raids, thus the interest for the general active public to run it again is on decline. So, there is no reason to get alts to run raids non-stop. You just gather platinum and buy bypasses from the Auction House.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Any number you feel comfortable with (28 on one server alone here)
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Imo 2- 5 and that's if you have tons of time to play, for some variety and if you don't wanna get insane getting "some" past lives, 36 point build, some raiding, getting twists and such.

It could take serious time and effort to get character where you want it ( "final" life or how you envisioned it ).
    Can't image rolling new toon at this point heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Can't image rolling new toon at this point heh.
    There is now way in hell I would consider rolling a new toon ever at this point. If I want to try something dfferent I'll TR one of the mains into it.

Community Member

Alts also come in handy for storage space.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

" A man's legs should be just long enough to reach the ground" - Abraham Lincoln (supposedly).

I used to play many alts on multiple different servers. About a year ago, i committed to only playing on one server, where i have 5 characters that i rotate between. For me, personally, i would not like to only play one character all the time. Five almost doesn't seem like enough, but i'm using tr to try the many different types of builds i want to try.

It does have a lot to do with how much time you have to play. Also how fast you want to progress each individual character. Only you can decide what the right mix is for you, and i'm sure you will over time.

Community Member

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions...

Will try and focus on getting 2 to level 20 ASAP, then move one into epic levels and TR the other.

I'll still play my other 3-4 more casual and for a change up.

Does the second life abilities help a lot? I'll have to make another post when I hit level 20 and ask what would be the next good class to take.

I found four to be a nice number:

1 arcane
    1 divine
    1 THF melee
    1 TWF melee

I ended up with a fifth, which was a second THF melee. With the current state of the game I'd replace the TWF with some kind of ranged character. (Maybe an artie, or more likely a monkcher.)

I have two main toons (shewind and azaxe on Thelanis), each on different level keeping gap in levels between them. Then i can choose, which alt to play depend on which LFMs are up (or which guildmembers are logged in and have similar level)

Additionaly i have set of testing alts used to test builds, because i can start at level 7 (or testing iconics at level 15). They never reach epic because i will delete them very soon

I am not big fan of starting at higher level, because everybody expect that i am ready for adventure as fresh 7 lvl toon without any gear (shared bank not helps everytime) so i am using veteran II only for testing.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

I have 20 characters on my main account, from lvl 7 to 28
    5 lvl 28 (fvs, barbarian, juggernaut, wizard, monk)
    2 lvl 25 (bard, clonk)
    3 lvl 20 (lavadiver, fighter/rogue failed LR20, sorc)

I have an other account with lvl 1-5 characters for when I want to play casual low level quests (waterworks, houses ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    It's all a "Heal yourself" and the whole game is about running as many lifes as possible.
    That's a **** game you're playing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowlord View Post
    Does the second life abilities help a lot? I'll have to make another post when I hit level 20 and ask what would be the next good class to take.
    It's more noticeable when at a lower level but as you get more lives done and three times on some it will really show.
    My Toons:
    DWP - Fighter/Favored Soul, Olur Takun - Something, Perddy Elfie - Artificer, Tamqil Jemhar - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by snowlord View Post
    Nooby question, that is why I am here in this section, asking this;

Is it a waste of time to play 5-10 characters??
    Personal opinion (like others have said). Personally I have 2-3 on every server and 4 characters on my two "main" servers.

Is it better to play 1-2 characters to level 20? or 28?
    This is along the lines of your first question but I will strongly recommend you have 2 characters. One of which you ALWAYS keep 20+ so that you can have easy access to money and gear.

Does reincarnate really make a difference? and should I do it at level 20 ? or head into epic levels?
    I personally think it makes a difference but it is also dependent on build. Some of the PL feats are very nice to have (including multiples;max of 3 x per). Also going from a 28/32 pt build to 36 pt build is nice as it gives you slightly more wiggle room in point distribution.

For the second part of your question, it is possible to go to 28, Epic TR to 20 then TR to 1 (or 15) but that is still too new for me to make any further comment on. Eventually you will have to make it to 30, so Epic TR'ing now would be a good choice if you can take advantage of it.

right now I'm playing 5 different characters, all different classes. I level them all up around the same time, redoing quests for each. They are all between lvl 9-13 right now. I'm having fun doing this, but I also find myself trying to equip them all which can be expensive. The good thing about it, is the hand-me-downs and finding items for the lower characters.
    As long as you are having fun...
    Keep doing it. From personal experience, gearing will start becoming easier now that you have a few toons in the 13 Range.

Should I pick 1-2 and get them to 20, then try another class with that character?
    That is strictly up to you. It was "kinda" answered in your previous questions but in the end you will have to make that choice. I do recommend the 2 characters so that farming gear is easier allowing you to focus on having fun, but for others, finding gear on the journey is the fun. That just isn't for me. How do you enjoy the game?

Do you like finding your gear and making "weird" treasure pulls "work" or do you enjoy the game more when you can pass gear among your characters and you can focus on "spacing" out while you play an MMO?

There is honestly no correct answer because everyone is different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast