Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Is it worth playing DDO anymore?

I have been playing DDO for well over four years now. I have seen lot of changes to the game and game play. Personally I like making pure characters, from level 1 to 20, I take the same class, no multi classing for me.

But, it seems that now we are require to have at least two levels of this or that for evasion or dodge as the higher level quests require it. Ever since the concept of AC has changed many people have added monk levels their characters. Well, I don't even like playing monks and I certainly have no desire to add monk levels to my characters.

Some of the best events in the game have been completely ruined, for example why is their chain whipping rogues in Mabar... That was a major turn off for me. I was so excited for Mabar, then with the massive lag wiping in the event it didn't help any. Truly disappointing!

How about some of the annoying stupid bugs! I have a human male character with a shield and sword, about every third swing my character jumps to the left, what is up with that... Non of my other characters do that! Is that just bad programming!?

I personally went though some hard days of tying to find groups for my rogue, every time I tried to join a pug albeit for a raid or a quests I was constantly denied, as everyone wanted something other then a rogue.

So I guess I should just convert all my characters to monks so I can have a very high AC and dodge and I can run around as a ignorant solo player. What happened to the balanced party concept... Seems to be missing or just plainly gone from DDO. I guess I am one of the odd people who think MMOs are for socializing and not for showing off my dumb toon, that can do everything.

Anyway that is my rant. I wished more players would make a character that was their own and not have tons of clones running around.

I still prefer pure classes too. I've done monk splashes on previous lives and at the end of the day, just didn't find it enjoyable.

If you're not willing to splash for the "fotm" thing, then you just have to be prepared for the extra damage, etc that you'll get to deal with.

Personally, I always take rogues in my groups. Even if I know there aren't any traps. Mostly because I like seeing what they can do, but partly because I want to make sure they can get XP and be around for the quests that DO have traps. heh

As for you question, if you're not having fun I don't see the point of playing the game. I'm still having fun, which is why I'm still here.

While all my existing characters have been 32pt build from the start so I have an edge over a raw account, I have only one multiclass character, a 1st life fighter wiz EK, L23. Hardly (and still not) your traditional power combo, he's doing very well on solo EN and EH in groups is no problem at all.

The other 19 pureclasses I have - all bar 1 on first life - are also doing very nicely thank you, though most are still in heroic levels as I'm a complete casual altoholic. I have one TR, on his third life, pure arti. Doing fine. I have a L26 is a monk who does do very nicely (completed EE sable in a group of L25s, though the end fight was a doozy), but he is a first lifer too, and he was a monk before it was the thing, back in late 2009 when i created him. He's been LRd to swap in cleaves for some no-longer-required shintao feats and some tomes, no higher than a +3, on wis IIRC. But that's it. He's a pure windstance 32pt first lifer wearing only average and easily accessible gear. My other pures only just hit L20 but I don't see them having a problem either from what I've seen so far. Admittedly though that's a rogue and a ranger, so they have evasion. The ranger is a pure AA with a small investment in tempest, which is not exactly OP. My 1st life wiz just hit 15 and is similarly doing very well - archmage, not PM. Also not flavour of the month. My L15 cleric who I don't play much, also does fine so far even after a complete regear from scratch at about L12 when they did the loot pass. he has a +2 tome.

I could of course be very wrong, but I've played enough on epic that I don't anticipate any real problems, at least in epic hard. In epic elite however, I *expect* to be less effective and that's as it should be. EE should be best of the best, frankly I think it should be harder, and epic hard about the current EE difficulty, with EN bumped up to be as hard as EH is now.

What I am saying is: this problem, I don't think it exists once you know a bit about the game, even if you don't have uber builds, past lives, great gear etc. I'm not saying evasion characters aren't better off, or that there aren't certain combinations that appear to be 'win' at the moment, but that doesn't detract from whether YOU can be successful without those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

The game is but pale shade of its earlier years in some ways. And pure classes have been rendered absolute dead with 2 levels of any class giving benefits 12 levels use to give. I mean 2 levels of ftr give you 2 xtra feats, 3dc to tactics, 3 xtra action boosts and 3 tiers of haste. Ridiculous for 2 levels. At 2 levels of any class you are but mere student. Now you are master.

That being said for me the main thing that socks is horrible end game. All this htr and etr for small added benefits that don't mean squat cuz there is nothing to use them in. Hopefully a level cap of 30 and 2 new raids and better loot will help some of the problem.

But probably not. Most will buy 50 raid timers get gear in 5 days leave game and raids will die. Such is the hole turbine has created.

I prefer to run with groups, as the social aspect of an mmo is what I find appealing about DDO. Otherwise, there are numerous single player type games I could play.

However, Turbine has decided to make several classes front loaded with a ton of powerful enhancements encouraging multiclassing. And not multiclassing that makes sense in a role playing way like cleric/monk or fighter/rogue, etc. But in meta gaming ways where you pick and choose the min/max abilities you want at end game and then go about cherry picking enhancements as desired. So you get oddball toons like WF sorc/pally or ranger/monk/pally just for the specific enhancements they bring for some powerful ED.

It's a role playing vs video game thing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoogar View Post
    I have been playing DDO for well over four years now. I have seen lot of changes to the game and game play. Personally I like making pure characters, from level 1 to 20, I take the same class, no multi classing for me.

But, it seems that now we are require to have at least two levels of this or that for evasion or dodge as the higher level quests require it. Ever since the concept of AC has changed many people have added monk levels their characters. Well, I don't even like playing monks and I certainly have no desire to add monk levels to my characters.

Some of the best events in the game have been completely ruined, for example why is their chain whipping rogues in Mabar... That was a major turn off for me. I was so excited for Mabar, then with the massive lag wiping in the event it didn't help any. Truly disappointing!

How about some of the annoying stupid bugs! I have a human male character with a shield and sword, about every third swing my character jumps to the left, what is up with that... Non of my other characters do that! Is that just bad programming!?

I personally went though some hard days of tying to find groups for my rogue, every time I tried to join a pug albeit for a raid or a quests I was constantly denied, as everyone wanted something other then a rogue.

So I guess I should just convert all my characters to monks so I can have a very high AC and dodge and I can run around as a ignorant solo player. What happened to the balanced party concept... Seems to be missing or just plainly gone from DDO. I guess I am one of the odd people who think MMOs are for socializing and not for showing off my dumb toon, that can do everything.

Anyway that is my rant. I wished more players would make a character that was their own and not have tons of clones running around.
    You didn't play much 3.5 if you don't like multiclassing. Or heck, 1st and 2nd, where muticlassing and dual classing gave tons of power too. I don't understand people who whine about pure classes. Outside of casters, they've never been a good choice. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by drakhar View Post
    you didn't play much 3.5 if you don't like multiclassing. Or heck, 1st and 2nd, where muticlassing and dual classing gave tons of power too. I don't understand people who whine about pure classes. Outside of casters, they've never been the best choice. Ever.

ftfy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

ddo is not for everybody.

Community Member

I've heard that Facebook is the new "in" thing with the social crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yes, we all know you were right back in 2009 before you took an arrow to the knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I wish there were a way to never see any of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    You didn't play much 3.5 if you don't like multiclassing. Or heck, 1st and 2nd, where muticlassing and dual classing gave tons of power too. I don't understand people who whine about pure classes. Outside of casters, they've never been a good choice. Ever.
    Best choice? Now multi is only choice. Plus leveling multi was harder in dice d&d because gaining xp levels was brutal. In ddo you don't have that penalty.

Just to crush in on an impression regarding splash-builds/Monks:
    Splashing for Evasion and feats is an easy button and does not require much thinking (also existed ever since in DDO, as it did in pen and paper). So, when you refer to *higher difficulties require it* it just means, that people may have to think in the least effort to complete something. Everything else required slow pacing, planning ahead and more attention to what is happening to the whole group and maybe taking care of other group members, which we all know is a big nono these days, it must be infringing on personal freedom or whatever even if ignoreing that the vice versa also exists .....

You don't need 2 Mnk in your character. After all, you can create an LFM and build a group. But if you are soloing much, especially epic elite - you need the highest amount of survivability from your character alone. The rest is done by pure playskill. And I am sure (hasn't there been some pure Bar or Ftr soloing epic elite Rusted Blades and DA?) that playskill can bring non Evasion toons to soloability as well. There will always be character builds, which simplify certain threats and mobs. When you ask, if it was worth playing DDO after you experienced it for 4 years, ask yourself, what goals seem worthwile to keep you playing and what is the reason you had fun with DDO.

The balanced party concept went down the drain as soon as dungeon scaling was implemented and Hirelings hit the market. Soloing was enforced and soon demanded by either bored or ignorant powergamers and elitists (add wannabe if you like). What was an option evolved to a demand and preferred playstyle. Then the TR hamste wheel began running and boring grind demanded even more soloability....

I have my guildies to party with, I still pug, I avoid unnecessary hamster wheels (screw off destinies, screw epic reincarnation, screw completionist) and focus on one single character. I still have 7 classes to play. Enough to keep me playing DDO for at least 3 years. At last, the people I met in the game keep me playing. I get bored pretty soon when soloing.

The bugs however keep me grinding teeths from time to time since they impede on smooth gameplay within a hamster wheel. But it got better lately, at least that is my impression.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 01-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by count_spicoli View Post
    Best choice? Now multi is only choice.
    wrong. 6 of my 13 lvl 28 toons are pure. all my pures do ee content like my multis.

u just need to learn2play.

Community Member

hmm,

pure builds = still viable. outta 11 characters, I probably have 2-4 that are multiclass. and all so far are epic Viable, sure the splash helps but isnt needed, neither is evasion, saves, hp, AC, dodge, ppr, etc, basically anything that you build for, isnt entirely needed it merely helps mitigate damage and such to make it easier. (want a challange, roll up a plain character with basic feats and no enhancements) XD fun as it involves alot of skill work to do things but possible)

shield jump = probably yea, bad programming. they could've easily went and made all character model sequences all the same but they opted to make them different (like my monk who does a backflip to sunder, cool yes, but if it messes with a certain race/gender then its bad, not sure if that one does but just an exp)

balanced party = aside from where it is needed, DDO has never had that concept. Several mmorpg's introduce a rainbow (every class in party is different) bonus whether it be rewards/buffs that helps with their games, but ddo doesnt have anything like that.

party with rogues = not sure why unless you got like 300hp at 25. only time I seen someone kick a rogue recently, unless they needed a healer and only had that one spot open. my rogue never had any problem grouping for any content either before when I first made him till now.

Multiclassing is a D&D concept, it's not something Turbine created just to annoy you.

I wished more players would make a character that was their own and not have tons of clones running around.
    My friends and I talk about this almost every time we play. Very few people we encounter play in the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons. Instead, they crunch the numbers, build the very best Pac-man they can build, then run through the mazes eating up power pills (experience) as fast as possible, just so that they can run through the next maze even faster. Pac-man was a fun game and I do not begrudge the people who enjoy playing DDO that way, but when it squeezes out players seeking Dungeons and Dragons group adventures, the game developers have failed.

You need to be proactive as the game developers will not help you. The game has attracted too many people who love Pac-man and they pay the bills. Hunt down and group with people who enjoy playing in the original spirit of Dungeons and Dragons. If you find a few such players your gaming experience should dramatically improve.

My pure ranger is doing just fine. Ive seen many many Monkchers in the game, and most of them are MEH. Never built one so im not sure if their specific build or I just have more experience playing ranged (been pure ranger 5 years), but they almost never get the DPS that Im getting. There have been a few exceptional Monkchers ive played with that were truly epic players and blew me away though. I think they had many many past lives though. Im still only on 3rd life as ranger.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    My friends and I talk about this almost every time we play. Very few people we encounter play in the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons. Instead, they crunch the numbers, build the very best Pac-man they can build, then run through the mazes eating up power pills (experience) as fast as possible, just so that they can run through the next maze even faster. Pac-man was a fun game and I do not begrudge the people who enjoy playing DDO that way, but when it squeezes out players seeking Dungeons and Dragons group adventures, the game developers have failed.

You need to be proactive as the game developers will not help you. The game has attracted too many people who love Pac-man and they pay the bills. Hunt down and group with people who enjoy playing in the original spirit of Dungeons and Dragons. If you find a few such players your gaming experience should dramatically improve.
    Don't hate the players, hate the game. Turbine made single-class toons a bad idea and monks an over-powered easy button.

You cannot blame people for adapting to Turbine's stupidity.

Mr. OP . . . Wizards are fine single-class. If you insist on being pure go for that.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

My pure Wizard seems fine.

So does my pure Druid.

Druid's Ref saves are even ****.....

Evasion is NOT necessary.

But saves ARE very important.

My only complaint about the Monk trend is the stupid 10K Arrows thing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

My only complaint about the Monk trend is the stupid 10K Arrows thing.....
    LOLz . . . that's on the low-end of garbage that make monks over-powered.

Play the character that is fun for you to play. If you like pure characters (as I do) then roll one up and start leveling it.

The people who boot you from parties because didn't splash this or you didn't splash that are actually doing you a favor, as you probably don't want to group with them anyway. They are same ones who think a human sorcerer is gimp, any sword-and-board build is gimp, any build without evasion is gimp, etc... Some people are very concerned with "optimal" builds optimal twists and optimal gear, and they automatically believe "anything I don't think is optimal" is "gimp." That simply isn't true.

Plenty of people complete EE runs every day without what are considered "optimal" builds. In my opinion, the people who boot players for having a "non-optimal" build are playing one version of the game, and they only wish to run with multi-TR veterans with optimal builds/gear/past lives/destiny/twists, which is of course their choice. Nothing wrong with that.

You should look for the other version of the game, the one where people take the first five or eleven to hit their LFM and still manage to somehow complete the quest or the raid, even with non-optimal characters. There are plenty of people who are still playing that version of the game.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast