Community Member

Default When is an acrobat not an acrobat?

Awright, here's the thing:

I spent 20 minutes trying to navigate the path to the Deneith Jester before reason overcame pride and I took the easier Tavern-Ladder route to the Harbor Jester. I wander about and see players running through the landscape like mountain goats at an Olympic Parkour event; me, I can't seem to get up the Harbor ramp without accidentally running off the side half the time. "Misery's Peak" was a nightmare scenario of crawling around in sneak mode and in constant fear that I would take one wrong turn and blow the last hour's progress in one fatal plummet (compounded by my natural fear of heights - the utter lack of anything resembling a guard rail in this world tends to play on that a bit).

So the question: is there some toggle or setting or something that would persuade my rather acrobatic character to behave more like a rather acrobatic character and less like the middle-aged overweight health inspector with thumbs for fingers who happens to be piloting him, which is to say, to not go walking happily off the edge to his doom unless I actually hit the jump or otherwise instruct him to do so? Or, is my agile rogue doomed to limp through the landscape like an acrophobic fat man because the guy at the controls just happens to be a thumb-fingered acrophobic fat man?

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

lol, ok, I feel you. What mode do you normally run in? 1st person? Further out?

Do you use mouse-mode or not?

I find camera as far back as you can (zoom out) so you can see your avatar and mouse look (for steering) help me navigate better - with limited exceptions. In a place like Coal Chamber, 1st person is good for certain tight jumps. Also, experiment with FFall OFF - sometimes you overjump, thinking you need it when you really do not and you over-compensate adjusting in the ir.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member

I tend to run farther out, follow mode, 'cause it's hard to keep track of the various combatants to side and rear, not to mention where your feet are, when you're first person. I'll close up for special situations. I run the keyboard for movement; if by "mouse mode" you mean that bit where you hit "T" and use the mouse to point the camera, I haven't used that much except briefly to orient the camera. Hadn't occurred to me to try that on the move; I'm experimenting with it now, control is nice but it could take some getting used to as it's difficult to control the vertical while moving and it altered my keyboard left-turn right-turn commands. I'll have to practice with that before I try taking it somewhere dangerous. What is, "FFall OFF"?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
    What is, "FFall OFF"?
    Feather Fall - also available on gear. Hafeal's just pointing out there are times where it can screw up your jumping, so sometimes you're better off unequiping your FF item.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    lol, ok, I feel you. What mode do you normally run in? 1st person? Further out?

Do you use mouse-mode or not?

I find camera as far back as you can (zoom out) so you can see your avatar and mouse look (for steering) help me navigate better - with limited exceptions. In a place like Coal Chamber, 1st person is good for certain tight jumps. Also, experiment with FFall OFF - sometimes you overjump, thinking you need it when you really do not and you over-compensate adjusting in the ir.
    I'm not sure what the current default mode is, but when I started playing DDO many years ago the first thing I did was change my defaults for A and D to be strafing and not turning. Combining that with playing in mouse look mode, and you have very well controlled movement. It's amazing to me that anyone could actually play effectively without doing that.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I tend to run farther out, follow mode, 'cause it's hard to keep track of the various combatants to side and rear, not to mention where your feet are, when you're first person. I'll close up for special situations. I run the keyboard for movement; if by "mouse mode" you mean that bit where you hit "T" and use the mouse to point the camera, I haven't used that much except briefly to orient the camera. Hadn't occurred to me to try that on the move; I'm experimenting with it now, control is nice but it could take some getting used to as it's difficult to control the vertical while moving and it altered my keyboard left-turn right-turn commands. I'll have to practice with that before I try taking it somewhere dangerous. What is, "FFall OFF"?
    How I use the mouse look.

Ring finger of left hand on left arrow, index finger on right arrow, these straif. Turning and looking up/down is done with the mouse.

Middle finger on up arrow (forward movement), pinky on ctlr (that's my jump button).

Use the number pad and the insert, home, pg up, pg down, delete and the /*-+. buttons around the num pad as hot keys.

End is my 'select next target' button. I only use it for ranged attacks or spells that require a hard target.

Shift is still block.

1-0 on the top of the keyboard is for potions or clickies, basically things that will be used often enough that they have a hot key, but not often enough that they will be used all the time, like cleaves,stunning fist or fireball, those would go on the numpad.

For all other hotbars that do not have hotketeys attached, this would be for things not accessed often, but often enough that i dont want to search my inventory for, like teleport scrolls. I hold down the right mouse button, and move the arrow to the slot, then left click.

Hope some of that helps.

Community Member

Lightbulb It's not you...

It's not you, it's me. "Me" being DDO's choice of high density volumetric special effects ~the light rings that accompany the jester's path~.

I'll hazard a guess that whatever rocket surgeon thought that we needed our hirelings to teleport in a breathtaking blue balled burst of banality are also responsible for critter form druids exploding their leafy green salad of GPU nightmares ever time they pull a lever or loot a chest. Apparently, said critters don't need thumbs to loot treasure bags and remove contents within and deposit said collectibles into the proper bag securely, but cannot manage to high five a guild buff shrine....

For those of us who don't have cutting edge rigs, so far the only solution I've been able to utilize involves the advanced graphics tab, disabling everything possible, lowering all settings to the lowest degree, and in the jester's case lowering the draw distance to it's lowest setting. This allows me to hop the rocks without the FPS drop(Frames Per Second) hitching/graphically pausing me soooo badly that I can control my character in *gasp* real time!

Again I plea to whomever decides such things, give more attention to functionality.

Chasing cutting edge eye-candy at the expense of playability is foolish...Unless your goal is to frustrate players to the point where we publicly complain, and simply ignore/avoid those things.

Why is there no in-game toggle to not-see these resource hogs?
    Is someone trying to get someone fired by making a point to implement a new-ish problem with greater frequency and reach?
    Are the folks who make these decisions ignoring the underlings that know better?
    Are there plans to correct/improve or even give a PSA on what triggers "unwanted timestop" and how to work around as a bandaid?

I know I'm really tired of fiddling with my userpreferences.ini file out of need to figure out a "fix" to newly minted playability woes.

On that subject, PLEASE o PRETTY PLEASE, maintain an official help page/tutorial regarding the userpreferences.ini file !
    It's user accessible, and modifiable.
    DDO even has instructions on how to tweak it for better performance in their own help references...
    It makes ZERO sense to omit a basic glossary and "how to". To make things worse, the contents add and subtract items/entries without notice or explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCodger View Post
    It's not you, it's me. "Me" being DDO's choice of high density volumetric special effects ~the light rings that accompany the jester's path~.

I'll hazard a guess that whatever rocket surgeon thought that we needed our hirelings to teleport in a breathtaking blue balled burst of banality are also responsible for critter form druids exploding their leafy green salad of GPU nightmares ever time they pull a lever or loot a chest. Apparently, said critters don't need thumbs to loot treasure bags and remove contents within and deposit said collectibles into the proper bag securely, but cannot manage to high five a guild buff shrine....

For those of us who don't have cutting edge rigs, so far the only solution I've been able to utilize involves the advanced graphics tab, disabling everything possible, lowering all settings to the lowest degree, and in the jester's case lowering the draw distance to it's lowest setting. This allows me to hop the rocks without the FPS drop(Frames Per Second) hitching/graphically pausing me soooo badly that I can control my character in *gasp* real time!

Again I plea to whomever decides such things, give more attention to functionality.

Chasing cutting edge eye-candy at the expense of playability is foolish...Unless your goal is to frustrate players to the point where we publicly complain, and simply ignore/avoid those things.

Why is there no in-game toggle to not-see these resource hogs?
    Is someone trying to get someone fired by making a point to implement a new-ish problem with greater frequency and reach?
    Are the folks who make these decisions ignoring the underlings that know better?
    Are there plans to correct/improve or even give a PSA on what triggers "unwanted timestop" and how to work around as a bandaid?

I know I'm really tired of fiddling with my userpreferences.ini file out of need to figure out a "fix" to newly minted playability woes.

On that subject, PLEASE o PRETTY PLEASE, maintain an official help page/tutorial regarding the userpreferences.ini file !
    It's user accessible, and modifiable.
    DDO even has instructions on how to tweak it for better performance in their own help references...
    It makes ZERO sense to omit a basic glossary and "how to". To make things worse, the contents add and subtract items/entries without notice or explanation...
    up until recently I played on an old laptop with all the graphics at their lowest setting. I have upgraded for a good deal and I find that I can also navigate my toon waaay better.

The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!
    stealth guides: EE Old Tomb, New Tenants; EE Tide Turns; Weave in the Fade; visit Spencerian's Stealth Guide
    Squire of the Silver Legion, Cannith (Saekee); add me in-game!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    I'm not sure what the current default mode is, but when I started playing DDO many years ago the first thing I did was change my defaults for A and D to be strafing and not turning. Combining that with playing in mouse look mode, and you have very well controlled movement. It's amazing to me that anyone could actually play effectively without doing that.
    This.

Don't use the keys to turn at all, that way you will reliably move in a straight line unless you touch something. Turn and look with mouselook, and move and strafe with keys.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    I must have as well as I strafe with A and D. In mouse look, strafing, you can make some easy circles around your enemies. Helpful with blade barriers.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member

Basically sounds like I need to relearn movement from scratch, relying on the mouse-keyboard combo instead of just the keyboard. The up-down axis is proving to be a headache, but maybe that will improve with practice. I'm not liking the T function - I reflexively move the mouse to hit a hotkey and find myself veering off instead - so I think I'll stick to holding the right-click down for movement and releasing it when I want to click on something.

Suggestions on mouse look sensitivity? Does the default work for you or do you dial it down a bit for better control? I'm finding myself overcompensating on turns, not to mention the up-down thing. (What is "mouse look smoothing"?)

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

Basically sounds like I need to relearn movement from scratch, relying on the mouse-keyboard combo instead of just the keyboard. The up-down axis is proving to be a headache, but maybe that will improve with practice. I'm not liking the T function - I reflexively move the mouse to hit a hotkey and find myself veering off instead - so I think I'll stick to holding the right-click down for movement and releasing it when I want to click on something.

Suggestions on mouse look sensitivity? Does the default work for you or do you dial it down a bit for better control? I'm finding myself overcompensating on turns, not to mention the up-down thing. (What is "mouse look smoothing"?)
    I actually turn the mouse look sensitivity UP, because it feels loggy and slow to me and I have a hard time steering because the view always seems to lag what I want to be doing.

Mouse-look smoothing tends to make it feel like you're piloting a boat--you will move more deliberately instead of sharply and suddenly. For you, this may be good, for me, it's annoying.

Something you might want to try is using the auto-run button (R is the default). You can practice steering and looking around while moving without having to worry about messing with the keyboard.

It's largely just a matter of practice.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh

It definitely does take some practice, and since I've got multiple inventory bars on my screen (especially with my casters), I personally can't get the hang of how to use those hotkeys. So what I do, and it may or may not work for you, is alternate between mouse-look movement and keyboard movement. (I've gotten really good at keyboard movement, so I use it a lot.) I'll use mouse-look for running through large areas of 'dead' activity, or shooting targets (like the gate levers in "Bargain of Blood"), and then switch back to keyboard when I need to fight particularly nasty mobs and bosses or do careful jumps and maneuvers.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sianys View Post
    It definitely does take some practice, and since I've got multiple inventory bars on my screen (especially with my casters), I personally can't get the hang of how to use those hotkeys. So what I do, and it may or may not work for you, is alternate between mouse-look movement and keyboard movement. (I've gotten really good at keyboard movement, so I use it a lot.) I'll use mouse-look for running through large areas of 'dead' activity, or shooting targets (like the gate levers in "Bargain of Blood"), and then switch back to keyboard when I need to fight particularly nasty mobs and bosses or do careful jumps and maneuvers.
    It can help a lot if you get a multi-button mouse. Mine has 12 hotkey buttons that I set for 1-10 plus some miscellaneous functions. It also has a 3rd finger button that I can hold down to make the hotkeys act as cntrl+1-10. I also have a third bar that's bound to shift+1-10, so that's 30 hotkeys that I can hit with just my thumb on the mouse.

It makes characters with a lot of abilities SO much easier to play.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Do you have a2-button-mouse or a 4-button-mouse?

becasue with 4 buttons i put the "trigger Mosuelook Mode"-button on my mouse, so if i want to click something with the mousepointer i can quickly switch out of mouslook without having tomove my hand to a different part of the keyboard.

Also the best way of moving in DDO is, as said before, with W and S for forward and backwards-moving, A and D for sideways strafing, and mouselook to turn and move smoothly. It takes some time to get used to, but its waaaaay superior to the keyboard-only type. Once you have mastered it you'll turn into a mountaingoatman yourself:

Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Also the best way of moving in DDO is, as said before, with W and S for forward and backwards-moving, A and D for sideways strafing, and mouselook to turn and move smoothly. It takes some time to get used to, but its waaaaay superior to the keyboard-only type.
    I'm going to counter that with, if the OP's going to relearn keyboard controls anyways, ESDF. E/D for Forward/Backward and S/F for Left/Right.

Pros:
    -Sticks your left hand on the home row, making it easier to type/chat when needed.
    -Increases easily accessible hotkeys(Q/A/Z easily hit with pinky, farther reach on 1-0 keys
    -If you're used to touch-typing, feels more natural. If you don't, you pick up a good habit to help learn touch typing ^_^
    -You learn functions in games quicker because you remap your keys and see what's available.
    -Works for any PC game, regardless of genre(At least I haven't found one that uses WASD that doesn't benefit from switching to ESDF)

Cons:
    -Once used to ESDF, you will probably NEVER find a game where you won't wish to remap your keys.
    -Redoing keymaps per character(Depends on the game, DDO's nice in that regard).
    -Wanting to punt developers of games that don't allow for customized keymapping(not that said devs don't deserve a good kick in the head).

I know there's probably more pros to ESDF over WASD than came to me at the moment, and honestly, I've never considered the first con as such. Additionally, the perks work for pretty much any PC game I've ever played that suggests a WASD layout.
    Oooh, Reason Checkers! King my brain! ~ Fluffmodeus