Default question on damage

After seeing some videos on YouTube and talking to some people in game seeing there doing about 100damage a hit. Im not even close to this. How are they able to do this?
    proud member of the Blackmoor Defenders
    Almost solely play Noritine (imagine that)
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Noritine View Post
    After seeing some videos on YouTube and talking to some people in game seeing there doing about 100damage a hit. Im not even close to this. How are they able to do this?
    You mean the first number (base damage, not all the add ons), without it being a crit, on mob that is not helpless, right?
    Fafhryd
    Heroic and Epic Completionist Monk: 27 Heroic PL / 8 Iconic PL / 23 Epic PL

By stacking every single highest bonus of every type to their damage and damage modifier.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Community Member

Masters blitz, helpless and sense weakness - together you should be hitting for 500 a hit - even with terrible gear/str.

100 on helpless is nothing. And if it's not helpless, 100 is still pretty meh these days.

uhm, dwarven tanks in the US Epic destiny can hit for 100...

What is your build&level, maybe we can help you optimise your damage output.

Community Member

High strenght, past lifes (mnk), some ED's adds base dmg like LD and Fury, past life paladin?
    gear: deadly, tod sets, Citw, etc...

I think 70+ is something to strive for, but the generic wraps monk has very low DPS, no matter how you twist and turn them. They have other things going for them but DPS ain't one of em.
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h

People always talk about numbers that are way higher than what you'd normally get......

100 per hit is quite doable if you're counting all of the other effects. 100 per hit for just the first number, assuming a non-helpless mob and you're not Blitzing, seems like something a normal monk build isn't going to ever do.

Average epic Monk:
    36 Base damage : 3.5 + .5 (gear) + 1.5 (thunder & lightning) + 1 (Improved martial arts) + 1.5 (dance of flowers) = 8d8 (Assuming medidation of war earth monk)
    5 PA
    6 weapon plus (assuming EN T&L here)
    10 damage gear
    10 30 strength
    ------

That's probably pretty reasonable for the average Epic monk. Some bonuses that could boost that would be Monk passive and active pastlive. For shorter term boosts you have Pal active past life, shippies, Primal scream, Deadly weapons, maybe some Bard stuff. With all of that running, you should be able to get to 90 per hit on average, which would mean some would go over 100... but most of it won't.

(This jibes pretty well with the previous "70 is something to strive for"... with either pastlifes or buffs it is pretty doable.)

This is assuming GMOF. Running in Fury or LD could get you to 100 per hit asuming they are running all of the extras listed.

Now, this is just counting that first number, and for non-helpless enemies. Start adding all effects, and T&L alone adds 35 damage from elect/sonic even without the extra slot (say, 5.5 damage from that). Then you can add another 7 per swing from a holy ring, possibly more from sneak, or brawling gloves, or sense weakness damage.... etc. Not to mention actual crits and vorpal effects that can easily add an average damage of over 20 a swing.

Monks can do plenty of damage... but nothing even vaguely in the league of Furyshotters, Blitzers and the like. Their main strength comes with trash control... stunning, QP and Drifting Lotus are all awesome in top content. Personally, even when I'm Blitzing I miss Drifting Lotus. When full on Blitz is running it seems a worthwhile trade, but if anything happens to kill the Blitz (zoning, death, stalling too long, etc), I start thinking I made the wrong ED choice......
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

I used to feel the same way you did (not all that long ago). My lvl 25 (12 figher/8 Cleric/5 Epic) in an off destiny (Shiradi) hits for around 90 with Cleaver. I can run around at 64 str almost constantly. And....I Know I am still falling far short of whre I ultimately intend to be.

If you can learn to use Masters Blitz effectively you can do insane amounts of DPS.

Between and FOTW and LD...you can find a lot of DPS that you were missing before. I personally like using axes in the LD destiny.

I cycle through several special attacks that help boost DPS. Cleve, Great Cleve, Momentum Swing & Lay Waste are typical. And Stun is your friend.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

My first life fighter was sub 100 for base damage until he started building up some gear. Of course he was a first life, 28 point build, basic twf. So he was going to be low for a while. By the time I tr'd him, he was doing about 150 base damage per swing, before any crits, elemental effects, etc were added. It was all just picking the right enhancements and gear to bump base damage up.