Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default A Small Problem with Epic Normal Small Problem

Okay, kind of curious if this is an 'only me' thing. I got on my Morning Lord Iconic (in case that matters) and went to play A Small Problem on Epic Normal. Go thru the entire thing and get Brawnpits to the end and all of sudden this flame barrier comes up over the exit and we are attacked by a bunch of orange-named and red-named wolves. A hole bunch of tieflings pop out and everybody is dancing with no break in site.Needless to say death came swiftly.So I went to the ddowiki and looked the quest up, and saw that this particular end encounter comes at the end of ELITE (normal or epic). So I figure maybe it accidently got put on epic ellite, but if that was the case why didn't I have any troubles before the end?So I go back and make SURE that I have Epic NORMAL selected. I go in and again have no troubles getting thru the quest until the very end when the encounter happens again. I got closer to defeating them but still no good. This quest is no 'off limits' to me on this character, as far as I am concerned.I was wondering if anyone else had the issue.I would bug-report it but I'm tired of bug-reporting the bug-reporting tool.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Test this on Heroic Hard, Heroic Elite, and Epic Normal, and Epic Hard, and see if this continues to happen. If it does, we can edit the wiki to reflect how it is.
    Keep on rollin'.

Has the article been updated since MotU's release? It used to be that the end fight only happened on Elite and Epic difficulties. With the change to EN/EH/EE, the fight happens on HE/EN/EH/EE.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    Has the article been updated since MotU's release? It used to be that the end fight only happened on Elite and Epic difficulties. With the change to EN/EH/EE, the fight happens on HE/EN/EH/EE.
    Actually, this change is much more recent. It's a fix to a recent bug that made the quest impossible to complete on EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    As far as I've experienced, epic has the end fight at all difficulties of epic.

I don't recall it being all that bad in epic normal and hard but it's been a while and I was on caster or divine or arti so can't say what it'd be like otherwise. Haven't tried it since making my fvs melee.

If you have friends, a wizard is a ticket to easy mode fight with the cc.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

End fight is pretty easy so long as you can avoid being perma-danced by the Messenger Of Prairies. Brawnpits is -incredibly- durable and has a huge amount of healing amp.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Flame wall stopped coming up on EN/EH some time ago (only appeared on EE). If that's been changed, that's definitely new.

Prior to U19 a group of guildies use to farm this quest on Epic Normal/Hard trying to get a specific Seal each of us needed. At that time the "End Fight" did not occur and Brawnpits could just be walked the last few steps to the wagon.

This fight did happen on Heroic Elite and Epic Elite.

Last night running this again for the first time in two updates my whole group was caught by surprise by the flame barrier and the End Fight. Once we completed all of us made the similar comment that this was a good change to this quest. The fight was not particularly difficult and I personally thought it should be a part of all Epic Difficulties myself and it appears it has been made that way.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Flame wall stopped coming up on EN/EH some time ago (only appeared on EE). If that's been changed, that's definitely new.
    Agreed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Prior to U19 a group of guildies use to farm this quest on Epic Normal/Hard trying to get a specific Seal each of us needed. At that time the "End Fight" did not occur and Brawnpits could just be walked the last few steps to the wagon.This fight did happen on Heroic Elite and Epic Elite.Last night running this again for the first time in two updates my whole group was caught by surprise by the flame barrier and the End Fight. Once we completed all of us made the similar comment that this was a good change to this quest. The fight was not particularly difficult and I personally thought it should be a part of all Epic Difficulties myself and it appears it has been made that way.
    It must have been a change with U19 or one of the U19 patches. This definitely was NOT happening previous to U19. I solo my characters with hirelings and the panther. This was on a Morninglord Level 20 cleric and the quest is next to impossible to complete with this character with this change. It is good to know that this is apparently an intentional change by the devlopers and I will be taken all the Pharnian Carnival Quests off my 'to do' list. The long-time (now) bugs in The Snitch were bad enough, now the entire chain has become pretty pointless.

*Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    It must have been a change with U19 or one of the U19 patches. This definitely was NOT happening previous to U19. I solo my characters with hirelings and the panther. This was on a Morninglord Level 20 cleric and the quest is next to impossible to complete with this character with this change. It is good to know that this is apparently an intentional change by the devlopers and I will be taken all the Pharnian Carnival Quests off my 'to do' list. The long-time (now) bugs in The Snitch were bad enough, now the entire chain has become pretty pointless.
    Bugs in Snitch, where? I've had it bug out once in 100+ runs, and that was trying to be too cutesy jumping ahead of where the quest wants you to go first.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Bugs in Snitch, where? I've had it bug out once in 100+ runs, and that was trying to be too cutesy jumping ahead of where the quest wants you to go first.
    I am referring to the bug where you can get closed out of the fight with Crateos by the electric wall. If you have never encountered it in over a hundred runs consider yourself lucky.

I am sorry you feel this way. Having this fight just pop up after not expecting it can be a bit nerve wracking at the time, however might I suggest first analyzing what happened and see if you can make appropriate adjustments to be better prepared the next time?

Example: Dance is what got you. What can you do as a cleric to avoid being danced?

Community Member

This change happened with U19. In addition the extra chest(s) that used to spawn at the end of Under the Big Top and Partycrashers EH/EE no longer spawn. Also since U19.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

had this happen very surprisingly on EH. Seems to be WAI rather than being a bug I´d say. Died rather flabbergasted. Tried again, worked fine. Cannot understand your sentiment really. Easy enough on EH when you are not completely shocked, probably a walk in the park on EN. Yay for exciting surprises in this game, certainly not off my list - and that is coming from a recently returned probably slightly below average player/character.

Firewall goes up on EH at least, that much i do know.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Example: Dance is what got you. What can you do as a cleric to avoid being danced?
    Please tell. Honestly I get danced all the time on my cleric (OK, not all the time. I make saves occasionally). I know things like Protection from Evil is supposed to protect you from (greater) command and charm but that isn't 100% in Epic, even if the NPC is flagged evil so again...Maybe Freedom of Movement? I've been danced, slowed, and snared/movement speed reduced and I was positive FoM wasn't dispelled because I checked.

PLEASE TELL!!!

...because it sounds like your being am elitist or jerk instead of sharing. That or your thinking about "some time in band camp" and not U20.1 DDO.

Community Member

If I wanted to play the quest on Epic Elite I would pick Epic Elite. If they are going to put an Epic Elite strength encounter at the end of an Epic Normal quest it is no longer Epic Normal. I know a lot of people here miss the 'good old days' were only tweaked out characters need apply for Epic, and it was the only 'Epic' difficult but that isn't how it is supposed to be now. I've done the quest hundreds of times since the change to bring Epic in line with 3.5 D&D Epic happened and this particular end encounter is WAY out of line with the rest of the quest, in terms of difficulty. As far as what can I do on my 20th level cleric that has virtually no epic equipment in order to deal with this encounter? I can not play the quest until it is reverted'. There are numerous other quests at that level that haven't been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Please tell. Honestly I get danced all the time on my cleric (OK, not all the time. I make saves occasionally). I know things like Protection from Evil is supposed to protect you from (greater) command and charm but that isn't 100% in Epic, even if the NPC is flagged evil so again...Maybe Freedom of Movement? I've been danced, slowed, and snared/movement speed reduced and I was positive FoM wasn't dispelled because I checked.

PLEASE TELL!!!

...because it sounds like your being am elitist or jerk instead of sharing. That or your thinking about "some time in band camp" and not U20.1 DDO.
    I had no intention of sounding like an elitist or jerk, I had previously written a list and deleted it because I felt it look pompous...

The trick is to understand how the spell works.

Enchantment Spells all have Spell Penetration Checks. Spell Resistance (Spell) grants you 12 + Caster Level SR at level 20 that is 32 SR. Each ED level in the Divine Sphere will raise that by 1. It does not seem like a lot but even 20% protection is still worth it. On EN for this chain it is more.

Spell Absorption Items - Comes as Charges Per Spell and also Charges Per Spell Level - Threnal Provides Mantle of the Worldshapper and Gianthold has Jeweled Cloak at Heroic levels. Additionally a Pale Lavendar Ioun Stone could be farmed for in Dreaming Dark (Level 20 Quest Every 3rd completion has a chance for Ioun stone). Also available is Scarab of Spell Absorption (random trinket found at different levels)

Next part is to identify where the dance comes from. In this particular quest it is the Prairie Messenger (Orange named) - Focus here first

Next, now that you know where it comes from and where the fight will be, set up a kill zone, pre laid Blade Barrier and Symbol of death for kiting mobs while you take them down one by one. Brawnpits may need a heal now and then, but will not be a needy party member, especially while you are kiting most of the trash through a Blade Barrier.

I am referring to the bug where you can get closed out of the fight with Crateos by the electric wall. If you have never encountered it in over a hundred runs consider yourself lucky.
    Even I, who have had few enough other problems, have bumped into it.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast