Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member WilliamBraveheart's Avatar

Default Horrible purple haze in through a mirror darkly

I ran Through a mirror darkly with a Static TR Group last night. We did finish however there was a haze(Aura) around the party on the shadow fell that was blinding. When the group was close together you could see nothing. so when fighting the mobs it was keep swinging until damage stopped. then move apart so you could see where you were going.(By spread out I mean most of the party was out of range for heals and buffs.
    by the end of the quest all had headaches from trying to look through this haze. mid you it was not the purple from the shadowfell effect it was the aura that surrounded each toon in the party that combined to make this a miserable experience.

If this is not WAI a fix would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 01-06-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Content

Lookin for sumthin to kill!!

I don't think they are going to tone down the Jimi Hendrix trip that is The Shadowfel Effect. When running it with my guildies, I was advised to uncheck the post processing effects box found under Advanced Video Settings. That worked really well. But remember to turn it back on again after finishing the quests. Otherwise water looks really, really, strange.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    I don't think they are going to tone down the Jimi Hendrix trip that is The Shadowfel Effect. When running it with my guildies, I was advised to uncheck the post processing effects box found under Advanced Video Settings. That worked really well. But remember to turn it back on again after finishing the quests. Otherwise water looks really, really, strange.
    It is not the purple that is the problem it is the mind fog type aura that seems to stack as Characters get closer together.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBraveheart View Post
    I ran Through a mirror darkly with a Static TR Group last night. We did finish however there was a haze(Aura) around the party on the shadow fell that was blinding. When the group was close together you could see nothing. so when fighting the mobs it was keep swinging until damage stopped. then move apart so you could see where you were going.(By spread out I mean most of the party was out of range for heals and buffs.by the end of the quest all had headaches from trying to look through this haze. mid you it was not the purple from the shadowfell effect it was the aura that surrounded each toon in the party that combined to make this a miserable experience.If this is not WAI a fix would be greatly appreciated. If it is WAI then someone needs to shoot a dev and fix the problem. I will not be running this quest again while it is in this state. and I had to pay money to get this half baked piece of ****.
    The Shadowfell purple haze effect should get the ghostbane treatment on the forum. Maybe then the devs will listen. It is a terrible effect and like you (and many others) makes me not want to run this content again. I suffered through a run of this content once for the saga, but had to log off on Through a Mirror Darkly as the headache and literal eye strain made it unplayable. Luckily I had guildies nice enough to allow me to pike at the door for the completion. I won't run this content again until they tone it down. I tried turning off post processing effects, and while it made it better, it caused a stutter/lag on the screen that the game was unplayable.

It is not the purple that is the problem it is the mind fog type aura that seems to stack as Characters get closer together.
    Best I can say is give it a shot. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the visuals in those quests either. They are headache inducing for me.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

When I ran that quest solo, the aura was pretty manageable. When I had a full party, it was nuts. Yeah, Turbine needs to do something about the visual stacking that's going on.

***DISCLAIMER***

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

That being said, would it be easier/more fun to play it after dropping a hit or four of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?

Not that I or anyone else should ever even consider it of course....

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

it's really nasty when it fallows you around the game until you log out, sure wish they would suck the interns on it to fix this kinda stuff

Nothing wrong with the effect. I thought it was going to be nasty with all the yapping on the forums but I ran it and found it to be a nice change. People always have to complain if something is different from the norm. Ya its different....get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alizar View Post
    Nothing wrong with the effect. I thought it was going to be nasty with all the yapping on the forums but I ran it and found it to be a nice change. People always have to complain if something is different from the norm. Ya its different....get over it!
    You must have ran it solo and not in a six man group.

op, start a petition for a "fog off" box in the ui options and i'll sign it

Default Killer fog

Yeah, I ran Mirror Darkly after the last update and found this 'aura fog' that you mentioned coming off of people during the shadowfell effect, it is really irritating when all are in close proximity, the dev who designed this should have just laid off the misty effect and make shadowfell a semi dark purple themed place.

Anyways I too believe this should not be WAI, but @taurean430 thanks for the tip on unchecking post-processing, I will try that next time when I run this quest. Cheers.
    Last edited by Wound; 01-02-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Stopwound, Healwound, Songwound, Cursewound, Patchwound, Saltwound

You must have ran it solo and not in a six man group.
    ^ This is true . Sorry for snarky comment everyone. Must have been grumpy.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Ran this for the first time this past weekend. Joined a pug.

Couldn't. see. anything!

This needs a change. The fact that things like this get through testing absolutely blows my mind. How in the world was this not noticed and fixed?

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel

This is definitely not working as intended, and a fix is on its way. We don’t actually want to sear the Shadowfell effect into your retinas, contrary to popular belief.

Our investigation into this issue was helped thanks in no small part to the details reported in this thread! Here’s what happened: each player has a light applied to them when they are in the Shadowfell in this quest, in order to help them see in the darkness. Basically, there was an obscure, almost never-used setting on the light, which caused the light to replicate to other players. The more players in the area, the more lights, and the more the Shadowfell effect was blown out as a result. This explains why it’s worse for some people (i.e. those of you running in groups) than others. I’ve fixed it so now it should not be quite so bad. We’re also looking at some options for further improving the Shadowfell visuals in this dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rocking_Dead View Post
    This is definitely not working as intended, and a fix is on its way. We don’t actually want to sear the Shadowfell effect into your retinas, contrary to popular belief.

Our investigation into this issue was helped thanks in no small part to the details reported in this thread! Here’s what happened: each player has a light applied to them when they are in the Shadowfell in this quest, in order to help them see in the darkness. Basically, there was an obscure, almost never-used setting on the light, which caused the light to replicate to other players. The more players in the area, the more lights, and the more the Shadowfell effect was blown out as a result. This explains why it’s worse for some people (i.e. those of you running in groups) than others. I’ve fixed it so now it should not be quite so bad. We’re also looking at some options for further improving the Shadowfell visuals in this dungeon.
    Best option for further improving it is complete removal.

Of course, I am unlikely to run these quests no matter how nice the ShadowFail effect is, so take that into consideration when you read my post.

At least you're doing something. I hope you look at fixing it in every area where it occurs. I'd rather see it removed altogether or at least a graphics option to turn it off. I paid for the expansion but I can't play it because it literally makes me sick.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Hero

It's also just as present in the explorer area. I will slay till it turns then recall out. It's awful. Even when I am solo.

Theres no reason to completely remove it but making it very subtle would be sufficient. I personally don't have a huge problem with is currently except for on "What Goes Up"

great communication! Keep it coming! oh, and btw - thanks for working on this!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast