Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Please adjust the physical resistance rating scale developers

I was thinking that the physical resistance rating has gotten too easy to get too high, but once a character gets to 130 adding anymore physical resistance gets relatively meaningless Now with the +27 from epic past lives, the new enhancements which gives physical resistance out like candy and the inflation of items which are incrementally adding to physical resistance that physical resistance is starting to get fairly meaningless. Physical resistance was supposed to be an advantage for Sword and Board characters vs. the robe wearers and their dodge advantage, but with the current situation why is physical resistance even an attribute in game. My proposal is to adjust the benefits the scale gives. Make a physical resistance rating of 160 or 170 give the benefits that 130 currently does and etc. Keep the same type of scale but push out the percentages further.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I was thinking that the physical resistance rating has gotten too easy to get too high, but once a character gets to 130 adding anymore physical resistance gets relatively meaningless Now with the +27 from epic past lives, the new enhancements which gives physical resistance out like candy and the inflation of items which are incrementally adding to physical resistance that physical resistance is starting to get fairly meaningless. Physical resistance was supposed to be an advantage for Sword and Board characters vs. the robe wearers and their dodge advantage, but with the current situation why is physical resistance even an attribute in game. My proposal is to adjust the benefits the scale gives. Make a physical resistance rating of 160 or 170 give the benefits that 130 currently does and etc. Keep the same type of scale but push out the percentages further.
    No. Quit trying to make the ETR benefits, that really are "extra candy that might be nice" closer to mandatory. Thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    No. Quit trying to make the ETR benefits, that really are "extra candy that might be nice" closer to mandatory. Thnx.
    No the prr are close to meaningless for ETR. Without much effort someone can get their character up to 40+ prr without a past life or anything like that. A 40 prr is 21% damage mitigation currently. A 67 is about 31 or 32% which would be 9 past lives. I would like the past lives be more meaningful i.e. worth it and wearing armor and using a shield more meaningful then it is. I also foresee that there will be better items then the +24 prr item from the stormhorns and other forms of prr like the artifact bonus in the trinket when combined with the weapon in CITW. Why is dodge more meaningful and difficult to get then physical resistance? Makes no sense.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

No the prr are close to meaningless for ETR. Without much effort someone can get their character up to 40+ prr without a past life or anything like that. A 40 prr is 21% damage mitigation currently. A 67 is about 31 or 32% which would be 9 past lives. I would like the past lives be more meaningful i.e. worth it and wearing armor and using a shield more meaningful then it is. I also foresee that there will be better items then the +24 prr item from the stormhorns and other forms of prr like the artifact bonus in the trinket when combined with the weapon in CITW. Why is dodge more meaningful and difficult to get then physical resistance? Makes no sense.
    I would like to see prr be more meaningful, but not the way you do. What you are proposing seems like it would make anybody who was not a s&b tank unable to get meaningful prr, and s&b tanks would just have to work harder to get to the same place they are now. The past lives should be a perk, not a necessity.

Why is dodge more meaningful and difficult to get then physical resistance? Makes no sense.

Well Dodge would be the art of not getting hit and Physical Resistance is only useful if you actually get hit, with that said... at 100% Dodge I could be naked with zero PRR and by not getting hit would take no physical damage thus rendering PRR meaningless...

Why is dodge more meaningful and difficult to get then physical resistance? You're right... makes no sense.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

The only past life that gives PRR is the PDK Iconic past life.
    This only stacks with itself up to 3 times.

So, uhhh, what do you mean " A 67 is about 31 or 32% which would be 9 past lives." ?
    Cuz it don't work that way.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Iconic_Past_Life_Feats
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Past_Life_Feats

I think it would have been fantastic if PRR were basically the inverse of dodge right from the start. You get a nice simple scale from 0% to 100% with each item simply adding it's value as a % similar to how dodge works. Just scrap the diminishing returns formula that is currently used for PRR.

With dodge, you have caps set by wearing heavier armor. With PRR, you would have caps set by wearing lighter (or no armor). Robes cap at 10%, Light armor 20%, medium 30% and heavy 40%. Adding a shield to your setup raises the cap again with an amount depending on the shield (5/10/15/20?) So a heavy armor wearer with tower shield would be looking at 60% mitigation from PRR assuming they had the gear and enhancements to hit their cap. As with dodge there would be specific enhancements and destinies that would allow you to raise the cap, but they would be limited. A fully decked out heavy armor/tower shield toon could be looking at maybe 75% mitigation in full defense mode from PRR alone.

I see how this would be problematic to implement now, but I can't help but wonder if it could have been done this way from the start and had many problems avoided as a result.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 12-30-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    The only past life that gives PRR is the PDK Iconic past life.
    This only stacks with itself up to 3 times.
    Look at the passive for the divine sphere again.

Nope. If you have armor on, you can still dodge a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I think it would have been fantastic if PRR were basically the inverse of dodge right from the start. You get a nice simple scale from 0% to 100% with each item simply adding it's value as a % similar to how dodge works. Just scrap the diminishing returns formula that is currently used for PRR.

With dodge, you have caps set by wearing heavier armor. With PRR, you would have caps set by wearing lighter (or no armor). Robes cap at 10%, Light armor 20%, medium 30% and heavy 40%. Adding a shield to your setup raises the cap again with an amount depending on the shield (5/10/15/20?) So a heavy armor wearer with tower shield would be looking at 60% mitigation from PRR assuming they had the gear and enhancements to hit their cap. As with dodge there would be specific enhancements and destinies that would allow you to raise the cap, but they would be limited. A fully decked out heavy armor/tower shield toon could be looking at maybe 75% mitigation in full defense mode from PRR alone.

I see how this would be problematic to implement now, but I can't help but wonder if it could have been done this way from the start and had many problems avoided as a result.
    would this nerf monks and monk build splashes? Sorry not going to happen...............

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    would this nerf monks and monk build splashes? Sorry not going to happen...............
    Sad but true. Yes, this would nerf monk splashes and cap them at around 10% PRR mitigation where many are in the mid 20% area right now. One could counter and suggest that earth stance count as heavy armor while activated, raising your potential PRR to 40%, but capping your dodge at 1%. That would probably end up an even bigger nerf in the end anyway.

Your point stands. A nerf to monks simply doesn't seem to be something Turbine wants to look at right now.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Uber Completionist

Seems OP is basically asking to make the +36 PRR ( that requires 12 past lives, NOT Candy ) be meaningless, by increasing the 130 PRR efficiency into the 160-170s PRR for same result..

I have about 40 ish PRR and that 20% or so dmg reduction is WELCOMED in EE.

Physical resistance was supposed to be an advantage for Sword and Board characters vs. the robe wearers and their dodge advantage, but with the current situation why is physical resistance even an attribute in game.
    Not just S&B vs unarmored, but also to better differentiate the protective value of Heavy vs Medium vs Light vs Unarmored in a combat climate where AC had lost considerable value.

My proposal is to adjust the benefits the scale gives.
    IMO, what actually needs to happen (not that it will) is a near complete rework of the whole concept, with a goal of making armor - in particular heavier armors - as functionally protective as dodge. Since dodge is your 2nd chance to be missed and is capped at ever smaller amounts as your armor catagory gets heavier, the trade needs to be effective.

Divorce PRR from BAB
    I get that was done to prevent lowbies from flat ignoring damage, but as a system it doesn't work - especially for the Eldritch Knight who has a **** BAB but an enhancement line to encourage use of armor. Instead, make PRR a function of Armor Catagory (H/M/L) modified by material type (Skirmish, Battle, etc) much the way AC is figured - this would also fix the Mithral plate counting as medium issue.

Give armor sufficient PRR that not waring it is a loss
    Thus far, the trade offs for swapping from armor (low dodge) to robes (high dodge) are not enough - the benefits of dodge far out weigh the meager loss of some PRR. A fighter, pally, cleric etc should not be taking considerably more damage (over the average of time) just because they're waring heavy armor - that's counter intuitive. Increase the PRR value of armor to a point that keeps it competative with dodge.

Cap unarmored PRR
    Armor has a (highly restrictive) dodge cap - lack of armor should have a similarly restrictive PRR cap as skin can only get so thick. This would go a long ways towards making Dodge or PRR a choice, rather than "just go Monk and have both!" An inverse relationship between attainable dodge and attainable PRR needs to exist.

DR needs to figure in last, not first
    Ok, this is mainly "throwing a bone" to the Barbarians. The value of their innate DR has been greatly diminished by inflated end game mob damage, and more so by placing it in front of PRR. Instead, after making armor useful (if not actually desirable) again, put DR last in line after all other sources of mitigation, thus it will have a greater effect without (much) need for bloat.

Those are my thoughts on the matter anyway.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

OP wrote:
    You should have to do 12 Epic/Iconic past lives in order to have the same effective PRR that you do right now
    No.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

I could see capping cloth prr.... right after a new feat is introduced that allows the mind to stay centered while wearing light armor. Coming up next is the agility feat that allows you to evade in medium armor!
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    I could see capping cloth prr.... right after a new feat is introduced that allows the mind to stay centered while wearing light armor. Coming up next is the agility feat that allows you to evade in medium armor!
    Close, but I'm sure you didn't mean feat - it would actually be the Tome of Centeredness (with medium & heavy upgrade tomes) and the Tome of Agility (with heavy upgrade tome) coming soon to the DDO $tore!
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Something I (mostly) agree with Maddmatt about: PRR was supposed to be for heavily armored characters while Dodge was supposed to be for the lightly armored ones. Unfortunately, that's not really how the system works. First of all, even a very high PRR doesn't quite make up for having almost no Dodge, while having no PRR doesn't make up for even having a capped Dodge. Second, PRR has become far too easy to acquire.

We have a prominent, easy to acquire set bonus that grants +15, purchasable augments for up to +16, a few different items that are farmable or craftable that grant up to +15, not to mention Earth Stance getting up to +15, another +15 for 11 AP in enhancements, and a tier IV twist for yet another +15. Monks actually can get more PRR than barbarians.

I say, get rid of the diminishing returns and change PRR over to work like Spell Power: a 1 for 1 benefit. Drop everything that grants PRR now to grant +1, +2, +3, or +5 PRR, depending on the current magnitude of the bonus, and the ease with which a character may acquire it. Increase the PRR for wearing medium and heavy armor, and for wielding a shield. Barbarians need more PRR innately.

At the same time, Dodge should probably be uncapped, and rangers (and probably bards) need some Dodge added into their class, without having to spend feats and enhancements on it. Uncanny Dodge should both grant +1% Dodge per rank, and raise an armor's Max Dex by 1 per rank.

Or, you know, get rid of stupid Dodge %, retool AC to work properly and be meaningful, and bring us back around to that system, including not arbitrarily inflating attack bonuses at end game to the point where the obsolete one entire defensive system without really affecting any others. There's simply no reason to boost attack bonuses as much as the developers do late in the game, as all it does is make some builds and goals pointless--it doesn't actually make the game more difficult, or challenging, and for many characters, the difference between a +40 to-hit and a +200 to-hit is irrelevant.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post

Make this guy a game designer. He seems to understand how balance in game design works. You should not be able to dodge wearing plate armour but you sure as hell shouldn't take as much damage when you get hit. Likewise a monk should be able to dodge a lot of blows but when they get hit those silk robes aren't going to provide much protection from a greatsword.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendael View Post
    Make this guy a game designer. He seems to understand how balance in game design works. You should not be able to dodge wearing plate armour but you sure as hell shouldn't take as much damage when you get hit. Likewise a monk should be able to dodge a lot of blows but when they get hit those silk robes aren't going to provide much protection from a greatsword.
    But...........but..........what if its magic silk robes? And what if the monk has magic ki abilities to make his skin as hard as stone? Or a spell from an item?

NO.

Unless... they put AC back the way it was.... then you can jack with PRR all you want.

Otherwise...

NO.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast