Community Member

Default Are traps what make "Elite"....ELITE?

I've generally done most quests at level on Normal, maybe Hard. I used Veteran status to experiment with a new class starting at level 7 and have been doing some of the lower level quests. For some of the -3 or -4 quests I'm doing them on Elite. Here's what I'm noticing: a level 3 or 4 quest, on Elite (so allegedly lvl 5 or 6) I'm having no problem with the mobs or end fight, however, in a couple of cases I've hit a trap and....DEAD. One shotted. (I'm a squishy Sorc.)

No big deal..just curious...are traps the equalizer? The mobs and fights aren't that much more of a challenge but the wrong trap and I can't finish a quest. (Wondering if a rogue hireling could disable them, on Elite?). Seems like a pretty simplistic (aka not make much effort) way of increasing difficulty. Though it seems to have worked...

Quote Originally Posted by AStormbringer View Post
    I've generally done most quests at level on Normal, maybe Hard. I used Veteran status to experiment with a new class starting at level 7 and have been doing some of the lower level quests. For some of the -3 or -4 quests I'm doing them on Elite. Here's what I'm noticing: a level 3 or 4 quest, on Elite (so allegedly lvl 5 or 6) I'm having no problem with the mobs or end fight, however, in a couple of cases I've hit a trap and....DEAD. One shotted. (I'm a squishy Sorc.)

No big deal..just curious...are traps the equalizer? The mobs and fights aren't that much more of a challenge but the wrong trap and I can't finish a quest. (Wondering if a rogue hireling could disable them, on Elite?). Seems like a pretty simplistic (aka not make much effort) way of increasing difficulty. Though it seems to have worked...
    That's not exactly the case, a final boss monster may hit you pretty hard but he won't stop after just 1 blow, he needs several blows to take down a player or it would be incredibly unfair, there ARE some bosses like that, one of them is pretty famous: Gnomon and his 500 Damage Disintegrates but in general they won't hit for more than you can handle if you back up and heal.

A trap can't work like that, it can't follow players. It's a 1-time thing, there's only 1 blow so it has to be as damaging as possible. You agree it doesn't matter if I lost 80% of my HP to a trap if there isn't any monster nearby, I can just take my time and heal.

When you are three to four levels over the quest, no, it isn't much of a challenge on elite. However, if you have never run elite, running it at level (so, level 3 or 4) would prove a challenge.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

watch the traps and see what they do. some can be timed. some you can run down a certain side that is clear. some you can jump over to a side of a ledge to get around the trap.

if you are getting one shotted by traps a couple levels below you, especially the low level traps, than its more about timing and paying attention to an easier path through/around them. be sure to buff yourself up with haste, rage, heroism/GH and aid pots. don't stop in a trap to heal. rogue hires at level are able to disable traps, without any additional buffs. I use them all the time for trap xp. certain rogues however have a problem with spotting traps and even seen them from time to time fail a disable roll but not blow a trap. you can buff them if you want to like you can with anyone else. elite traps should be insta killers but that isn't the case most times, especially if you know an easier way to get past them.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Something I was told but didn't readily accept is that there's only 1 or 2 traps in the entire game that really need a rogue (these days I'd suppose you'd say trapper) to get through. Now I fully accept this, I'd even go so far as to say any trap can be circumvented without a trapper, although in certain situations perhaps some of the more frail members of the party will have to be carried through in your backpack.

Get your saves up. Doesn't matter that you don't have evasion, a save is a save and half damage shouldn't kill you.

Get your HP up. GH +15 HP, False Life spell is another chunk of HP, and of course all the gear and CON HP you can muster.

Run like your life depended on it, it does. Sure, timing is everything, but dumb luck couple with speed often is enough for traps you don't understand the timing of.

Practice. Go in on Casual and practice running through the trap trying every means of avoiding damage you can think of to see what works and what doesn't.

Caster mobs get more metamagics on elite as well so their spells will hit harder.

Yes imo, I've managed to get my sorc to lvl 23 but after about lvl 12 I find any elite challenging, however before that lvl the thing most likely to kill me is a trap!! Knowing where they are and what resists you need is half the package, the other half is getting your saves as high as possible. My sorc has very low wisdom and consequently low reflex saves, hence traps are a real issue so any gear that raises saves can be invaluable. Ship buffs are great and I always pick up 'Protection from Elements' in spell form as soon as any spell of that type is available, then with a bit of quest knowledge, traps become less of an issue. I only have first life 28 point builds atm, so I'm hoping when I start to TR them the extra build points will let me continue at Elite lvl longer
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Caster mobs also have different spell selections.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Elite Traps are the only thing I fear in this game.

Epic Elite melee monster damage is a close second.

Epic Elite spells that immobilize me come in third.

A few Epic Elite damage spells that do not have a Ref save come in fourth.

On those few toons of mine that do not have a high Ref save, I find all damaging spells dangerous as well. (mostly on EE)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    My sorc has very low wisdom and consequently low reflex saves
    Reflex saves are DEX based. Will saves are WIS based. As a sorc though you can take Force of Personality to base your Will saves on CHA instead, thus giving you a rather high Will save.

One nice save boosting item that newer players might not be aware of, because Turbine constantly uses the same terminology to refer to several different attributes and abilities, is resistance items. A resistance item will boost all saves by whatever amount the item specifies. Up to +6 is available on random gen heroic loot. This is a great item to keep slotted in your great, however, if you are unable, it's a great item to have ready to switch out when the need for higher saves arises.

Types of mobs also change. For example, in Missing in the Harbor, there is a spot under water in the tunnels where E has a flayer, H has a Flesh Render and N has two rats.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Having run Made to Order a couple times in the last week, that probably gets my vote as possibly the roughest trap laden quest to go through without a trapper or evasion.

My only advice is to keep protection from energy (all of them) up at all times, and if you hit a mine, stop moving immediately until you fix yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    Reflex saves are DEX based. Will saves are WIS based. As a sorc though you can take Force of Personality to base your Will saves on CHA instead, thus giving you a rather high Will save.

One nice save boosting item that newer players might not be aware of, because Turbine constantly uses the same terminology to refer to several different attributes and abilities, is resistance items. A resistance item will boost all saves by whatever amount the item specifies. Up to +6 is available on random gen heroic loot. This is a great item to keep slotted in your great, however, if you are unable, it's a great item to have ready to switch out when the need for higher saves arises.
    Stupid me!!!.....

and to think that I actually boosted my sorc's Dex for exactly that reason.....

funny how it took someone to point that out for me to even remember that I'd done it......

Note to self 'Do not make any comments without double checking facts'

Now I'm trying to remember why I felt I needed to boost my Wis.......

Nope nothing, can't remember, oh the joys of old age
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

The saves required for Elite make failure a possibility unless you are skilled/geared/built very well.

The saves requirement shows itself for you with traps and REF.
    For a rogue this is no issue but perhaps for that rogue they find a mob casters CC overwhelming.

In other words, Elites at level as you get higher in level tend to find your weaknesses at certain points.
    That's why I find it faster to start a group and pick up another person or two.
    What hurts me is no problem for the others and vise versa.

Building for getting through traps is a priority for me usually on most characters..
    But you seem like you're at a point where a trap is a bothering you right now and need to pass it to progress in game.
    You can cheese past the trap maybe?
    If the trap always kills you bring your hire and park them by the trap.
    Die.
    Have your hire toss you a rez ybut don't take it until you run past the trap?
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

There are other things that make Elite difficult, but traps are really the big one. The amount of damage increase they get really goes off the charts.

But monsters also get buffed. Going from Hard to Elite in a quest with Ice Flensers is a massive difficulty spike, because they start spamming you with 2-300 point Polar Rays. Even with a +30 resist, that's more than a little painful at level 10 and Polar Ray gives no save.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.