Community Member

Default New to game request some interesting ideas.

For my first character i would like to build one of three characters and would like some pointers.
    1) ranger/archer
    2) sneak rogue/scout
    3) charm/controller - because most summon builds i have read up on say pets are bad AI a charm/control build using mobs on the field already instead of summoning ones yourself.??? (not sure if i understood what i was reading at all)

Not new to MMO's, researching builds or min maxing. Still reading the slang section to understand builds on forums.

What i am requesting is a fairly quick easy to read template on how to build a character. Race, starting stats and first few feats on one or all of the selections above. I have yet to even pick a server as of yet and have a VIP subscription so anything is available. Also if you think you don't mind showing me the "ropes" let me know what server I should roll on and hit me up and invite in game or a Team speak/Vent we can chat on for more detailed information. Wanting to take this game to the "end game" thank you for your time and effort in holding my hand and such.

~Eyeris~
    P.S. I am a 25 year old male if it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by EyerisAquarius View Post
    For my first character i would like to build one of three characters and would like some pointers.
    1) ranger/archer
    2) sneak rogue/scout
    3) charm/controller - because most summon builds i have read up on say pets are bad AI a charm/control build using mobs on the field already instead of summoning ones yourself.??? (not sure if i understood what i was reading at all)

Not new to MMO's, researching builds or min maxing. Still reading the slang section to understand builds on forums.

What i am requesting is a fairly quick easy to read template on how to build a character. Race, starting stats and first few feats on one or all of the selections above. I have yet to even pick a server as of yet and have a VIP subscription so anything is available. Also if you think you don't mind showing me the "ropes" let me know what server I should roll on and hit me up and invite in game or a Team speak/Vent we can chat on for more detailed information. Wanting to take this game to the "end game" thank you for your time and effort in holding my hand and such.

~Eyeris~
    P.S. I am a 25 year old male if it matters.

1. any race will due since some is just from personal preference. you can choose the arcane archer. Some people also do a thing called monkcher. so you get a lot of damage from both classes. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...onkcher-builds

2. assassins are what you're looking for here. Some go human for the extra feat/dragonmarks/etc. Some like drow or helf.

3. bards or wizards are what you're looking for here. bard is spellsinger/ wizards are archmagi for controlling. you main feats are enchantment. some take humans yet again for the racial bonuses some go drow or elven for dcs etc. A lot of racial are more based on what you like personally.

servers there are a few. im not sure what the other ones are like but im on argonesson

Quote Originally Posted by EyerisAquarius View Post
    Class Pets (Druid wolf, Artificer dog, Wizard Pale Master skeleton) and Hirelings (buyable mercenaries) both have a control/action bar that appears when you summon them. Summoned Monsters like from the I to IX arcane/divine spells or the nature's ally spells Druids and Rangers get or the Epic Destiny Summons, do not have a control bar and you cannot manually use a skill they have and cannot set them to passive, guard, aggressive and so on. In some cases the wayfinding ai does some crazy things but overall they are a good support. I mainly use the uncontrollable summons to show me the direction where an enemy is, because there are several dark areas where it's not easy to find the mobs even if you Tab-hit-around. But the summons will always find them.

A special difference that counts for in-game buyable or permanent Hires from the shop only: they will use a party slot when summoned, so in case you are in a group with two other players and three Hirelings: if a fourth player wants to join, at least one of the Hirelings have to be dismissed to get a free party slot.

Charmed mobs change side and fight for you as long as the spell lasts and if they fail on their saving rolls or you release them with your Dismiss Charm skill. Not all mobs can be charmed but most of them. Same for other cc like Web, Hold or Dance, some mob types will be immune to the one or other cc or have a very high Spell Resistance you have to overcome first (this is harder or easier depending on your Spell Penetration) and red-named bosses are immune to all charm/cc spells (but their adds not ofc). Note that normal animals and vermin like most spiders are immune to arcane charm, you'll need the Charm Animal spell a Druid or Ranger gets, but animals can be danced and holded and some vermin can be danced like the spiders and scorpions in the Vale of Twilight. Another special case are Undead. Though they can be holded and controlled (works like charm) both spells are Necromancy ones, so your DC (Difficulty Class, which is important for the saving roll calculation) will be lower if you focus on Enchantment.
    Charmed mobs can be buffed and healed, so if you have summoned a Cleric or Favoured Soul Hireling she/he will heal charmed mobs too (if not set to passive) which could result in low SP for further fights.

I don't have any experience yet with Bard but Wiz only, so I'd recommend to roll a Wizard with Rogue splash 18/2. Especially as a new player you might want to explore dungeons on your own too and trap skills are very handy for this purpose. Start with Rogue at Level 1 to get the max amount of skill points, then reserve 4 skill points every level up to raise Search and Disable Device and also try to get items that add points to these skills.

The most important feats are: Enlarge, the Spell Penetration feats, the Spell focus: Enchantment feats, Heighten, Quicken and Augment Summoning. As first life toon I'd recommend to also take Mental Toughness and Improved Mental Toughness to get more Spellpoints.

What the other posters have said is very helpful, but here are some other tips if you're new to DDO (by which I assume: no monk, artificer etc, no paid races, no bags full of tomes and things to assist in your builds and no 32 point build. These are all things you need to watch out for when researching builds if you do not have access to that content):

If you don't have it yet get this:
    http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

It is not quite up to date (promised early in new year and if the team don't keep their promises it's because real life got in the way - its a volunteer project so be patient, this tool is something Turbine should fund given they haven't bothered to provide anything like it themselves), it's missing Eldritch knight enhancements from wiz/sorc trees but that's not what you're after here.

Then try here:
    https://www.ddo.com/en/game/game-guides

These are Turbine's own guides to various things and many veterans will scoff at the choices, none of the build examples are exactly what you're looking for and certain things are VERY likely to be out of date, as is the case with the newbie guides on the wiki... but there's lots of explanation of the basic choices and why they are made e.g. this and that's as helpful as anything.

For everything else game-info/concept related:
    http://ddowiki.com

Note also a volunteer project, some info out of date, usually well signposted if so.

Next, learn how to search the forums properly.

No, I'm not talking down to you, you're clearly doing the right kind of digging on your own: but generally forum search tools are awful. Use google, and type site:www.ddo.com/forums then put what you want to search for inside " " marks.

Specific questions - answered as for beginners, to keep things simple:

1) ranger/archer - Go Ranger, investment heavily in the Arcane Archer tree. There are better choices to excel at this role than going pure ranger, but ranger is a free class, and has everythign you need to be effective. Search for "AA build" .

2) sneak rogue/scout - again, your first instinct is correct: go rogue. Investment heavily in assassin tree I suspect, but possibly also acrobat. Decide in advance whether you are going Q-staffs or Two Weapon Fighting, this steers your feat choices and starting ability score selection

3) charm/controller - Wiz or bard. Warning: CC is great. It works really well in DDO. But it works terribly in PuGs, because people dont' wait for the CC nor observe the 'rules' of CC (e.g. in many cases causing damage breaking the CC). THis could be a frustrating route for you. I suggest you go wiz on the basis that at least you can switch to do DPS nuking when you have to, DPS as well as CC can be hard to pull off for a bard (but not impossible)

If you want to do a summoner type build, druid is the only choice but that's not a free class and I have no idea how well it works having never seen anyone use it (which is an indication it's probably a bit lame).

Suggest you have a think about that lot and do some more research on the specific topics and concepts I mentioned to further your general understanding then come and ask some specific questions about the specific builds in separate threads if you haven't found any achievable new player build examples on the forums. Note that the age of the build matters. If it's older than 2013 there's a good chance certain elements are very different.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 12-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    What the other posters have said is very helpful, but here are some other tips if you're new to DDO (by which I assume: no monk, artificer etc, no paid races, no bags full of tomes and things to assist in your builds and no 32 point build. These are all things you need to watch out for when researching builds if you do not have access to that content):

If you don't have it yet get this:
    http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

It is not quite up to date (promised early in new year and if the team don't keep their promises it's because real life got in the way - its a volunteer project so be patient, this tool is something Turbine should fund given they haven't bothered to provide anything like it themselves), it's missing Eldritch knight enhancements from wiz/sorc trees but that's not what you're after here.
    Seconding the character planner - it's a pretty good tool, overall, and they at least have most of the new enhancement system in there, even if it's not totally up-to-date. There is a poster, however, who did pull together a PDF of all the enhancement lines - I forget who, but it should be pretty easy to find if you want to see what all the enhancements do.

I'd also suggest two other things:
    1. Look at the Classes subforums, because chances are good that someone else has also asked for advice on particular builds, and there will be lots of tips and guidance (as well as actual builds) in those threads.
    2. Check out Ellisdee's and unbongwah's builds. Many people have tried them and reported liking them.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

Community Member

search for "tempest trapmonkey" it is a dual wielding archer but you can modify it for the AA line. Note: archery is weaker then melee until you get into the super endgame. As an archer, you will be pulling out weapons, know how to use them

"Pale trapper" wizard palemaster/rogue

The guys who have worked up those two builds have more builds in their sig lines

Both of these are F2P.