Thread: Gamma World MMO

Default Gamma World MMO

This is not exactly related to DDO but it is related to Turbine. I have been reading about all of the available MMOs at www.massively.com and www.mmorpg.com and there are hardly any Post Apocalyptic MMOs to speak of. There is an MMO called Fallen Earth but it is apparently mediocre at best and wasn't developed by a major studio. Bethesda considered making Fallout into an MMO but this isn't going to happen from what I have read.

If Turbine acquired the licensing for the original Gamma World RPG and turned it into their latest MMO, this would fill a niche which apparently no one has really attempted to develop yet in the MMO market. If only part of the Fallout fan base played the Gamma World MMO, it would be a hit as Fallout was a huge seller. As DDO adds new world such as Planescape, Turbine could also start developing an MMO based on other Wizards of the Coast properties.

Does anyone have any information on this? Has a Gamma World or similar MMO ever been seriously considered for development?

I have no idea if the current version of Gamma World has ever been considered for a video game, MMO or not. I've never heard of one, at any rate. I'd be pretty happy if there were, however - I like the new GW game. However, I'd only be really happy if they kept the randomized character generation. To me, that's one of the best designed parts of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I have no idea if the current version of Gamma World has ever been considered for a video game, MMO or not. I've never heard of one, at any rate. I'd be pretty happy if there were, however - I like the new GW game. However, I'd only be really happy if they kept the randomized character generation. To me, that's one of the best designed parts of the game.
    If Gamma World were to become an MMO, the content and story line should be from the first few editions of the game not the most recent (2010) edition. The rules themselves could be from later editions but the Gamma World franchise was slowly dumbed down, just like the D&D RPG franchise, so the 1st edition modules' story structure would be a good place to start instead.

AFAIK, Fallen Earth has been the only real attempt at the genre, and has it's advantages/disadvantages.

Sadly, as cool as a straight Gamma World MMO would be, it would have such a small niche fan base that I don't see any company willing to jump into that pit. But it's certainly a fun "what if..." kind of idea. icon14.png

Ah, the memories of 1st edition, when one of my groups accidentally nuked a large section of Horn into a slag-heap.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    AFAIK, Fallen Earth has been the only real attempt at the genre, and has it's advantages/disadvantages.

Sadly, as cool as a straight Gamma World MMO would be, it would have such a small niche fan base that I don't see any company willing to jump into that pit. But it's certainly a fun "what if..." kind of idea. icon14.png

Ah, the memories of 1st edition, when one of my groups accidentally nuked a large section of Horn into a slag-heap.
    The point of my post is that no one has really attempted this genre with an MMO. Many people interested in a Fallout-type MMO would play Gamma World Online, even if they had never heard of the original Gamma World RPG. If Bethesda won't do a Fallout MMO, someone else should fill this void as it is commercially viable.

Here is an article from Massively.com asking the same question: Why aren't there more Post Apocalyptic MMOs? We don't need yet another WoW clone.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11...calyptic-mmos/

I love the whole post apocalyptic genre. From the first time I watched the original Night of the Living Dead and read Stephen King's "The Stand" and Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" all the way up to the current zombie apocalypse. There's just something about the genre I love. That being said, I've been saying for a looking time now that they needed an apocalyptic mmo.

For example, I recently bought Dead Island (I know, I know I'm way behind the times) and thought that an mmo with zombies or anything post apocalyptic would be awesome. It wouldn't be much different than most mmo's, start at level 1 kill bad guys, search for better loot, lather, rinse, repeat.

AAAND, you get to kill zombies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Man, I thought this thread was announcing such a thing existed!

That would be sweet.

The other TSR games I played, top secret and boot hill, have games that are in their style but GW would be unique.

I can picture it now...

/advice Gammanub Guys...I leveled up and have a tentacle growing out of my face! How do I remove it!
    /advice Gammavet Sorry man. It's random and permanent unless u get tentacle remover from store.
    /advice Gammanub :-(
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

For those of you who are interested, I started a Facebook Group called 'Gamma World Online' to help build momentum for this MMORPG.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/332858956862295/

I think it can happen if enough people get behind the idea. I hope Turbine's staff reads these forums.

While I would love to see one I think that GW was never popular enough to warrant anyone working on a MMO based on it.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    While I would love to see one I think that GW was never popular enough to warrant anyone working on a MMO based on it.

The Fallout series is though.

Its true, there haven't really been any MMO's in the post apocalyptic setting. So far, it has been the realm of FPS's for online co-op play. Although, you could argue that several MMO's take place in a world recovering from an apocalypse. Even Eberron has The Mourning.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    For those of you who are interested, I started a Facebook Group called 'Gamma World Online' to help build momentum for this MMORPG.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/332858956862295/

I think it can happen if enough people get behind the idea. I hope Turbine's staff reads these forums.
    I won't touch Freakbook, not even with someone else's 10' pole.

But I'll throw ya some support /props here.

GL with the movement.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

are you aware that Eberron has a post Post-apocalyptic country to explore?

The mournlands

some stuff you might encounter

And as a side note:

Still better then ghostbanes:

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    The Fallout series is though.
    The MMO wouldn't have to be entirely faithful to the Gamma World RPG but just contain its core elements and be called Gamma World Online for licensing reasons. Some concessions would have to be made to pull in the Fallout crowd such as a more developed PvP system (something we might want anyway), first person shooter view, etc. As long as you could play a Pure Strain Human, a humanoid mutant, an android, or a mutated animal and the game contained the Cryptic Alliances such as the Knights of Genetic Purity, the Iron Society, and others, I would be happy. The background story for Gamma World changed among its various editions but the 1st edition story is the best in my opinion.

As I stated above, Gamma World is a game which started in 1978 so there are many gamers that are not familiar with it but would play a Fallout-inspired MMO anyway if it was marketed properly.