Community Member

Default Sideways Tumbimg Animation

I have just epic reincarnated my Drow Monk and decided to take some tumbling skill points so I could experiment with this skill.

I know have 41 tumbling skill points and can tumble forward and backward but when I try to tumble sideways I continue to strafe or turn with the block key pressed.

Is there an animation for sideways tumble or do I need more skill points assigned?

DDOWiki says 36 points should be enough.

k1w1

Hero

Use Q And E instead of A and D.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

A and E work fine, but you have to hold down your right mouse button.

I have disabled the "T" button for mouse look, so I can't say if that works as well.

Community Member

I have tried al that and all he does is run sideways. I expected him to tumble or something.

k1w1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by -k1w1- View Post
    Is there an animation for sideways tumble or do I need more skill points assigned?
    Of course there's an animation.

The way to do it depends on if you have mouse-look on or off (and your keymapping).

Try it with A and D when you have mouse-look on and i think you'll succeed.
    When you're off mouse-look (i believe you've tried it this way only), check your keymapping for the left and right movement and try those keys (with Shift ofc). Iirc, A and D keys are used for strafing when you're off mouse-look, so that's why you're not seeing the animation. You can try with the left and right arrows, too (i'm not sure what you'll get though)

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Grecan; 12-29-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Community Member

Just tried all the combinations of mouse look toggling, holding right mouse button and tubling (left shift +A or D), and it always worked for me.

Which of the presets are you using?

In my setup, Q is select next interactable object, and E is interact. I don't remember assigning them so, so I guess that was the default for the preset... which I suspect is "default" or possibly "FPS Style".
    I know there are some hidden settings in the presets, like, my mouse look went all weird at one point, and there were no settings to fix it, only resetting the whole to "default" (or possibly "FPS Style") managed to get it right, at the cost of losing all other settings. So maybe there's a hidden setting for breaking tumbling too...

To double check one thing though, could you (OP) check if it works on an alt with low (ie. less than 10) tumble?
    I hear the animations get faster and better as your skill increases, but I wouldn't be very surprised if some were broken.

BTW, with 41 tumble, shouldn't you be doing back/front flips, instead of like, tumbling?

I have tried al that and all he does is run sideways. I expected him to tumble or something.

k1w1
    You are blocking, right?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grecan View Post
    Of course there's an animation.

The way to do it depends on if you have mouse-look on or off (and your keymapping).

Try it with A and D when you have mouse-look on and i think you'll succeed.
    When you're off mouse-look (i believe you've tried it this way only), check your keymapping for the left and right movement and try those keys (with Shift ofc). Iirc, A and D keys are used for strafing when you're off mouse-look, so that's why you're not seeing the animation. You can try with the left and right arrows, too (i'm not sure what you'll get though)

Hope that helps
    Thanks for that. I turned the mouse look on and it worked.

Maybe I am a bit slow in picking things up, but it didn't seem to intuitive to me.

k1w1

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Thanks for that. I turned the mouse look on and it worked.

Maybe I am a bit slow in picking things up, but it didn't seem to intuitive to me.

k1w1
    It's not intuitive. You have to have mouse look on, block and move laterally.

And then, all does is give you better reflex saves. It doesn't actually allow you to tumble out of tight situations. Mobs will still be physically blocking you.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    It's not intuitive. You have to have mouse look on, block and move laterally.

And then, all does is give you better reflex saves. It doesn't actually allow you to tumble out of tight situations. Mobs will still be physically blocking you.
    There are some epic enhancements that let you tumble through mobs. I haven't looked through the new enhancements for all classes to know if any of them get something similar in heroics.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    There are some epic enhancements that let you tumble through mobs. I haven't looked through the new enhancements for all classes to know if any of them get something similar in heroics.
    The Grandmaster of Flowers destiny has Ubiquity. This allows you to tumble through enemies to evade or gain surprise attack. This is the reason I wanted to give tumbling a try.

k1w1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    The Grandmaster of Flowers destiny has Ubiquity. This allows you to tumble through enemies to evade or gain surprise attack. This is the reason I wanted to give tumbling a try.

I did not think it would be very useful in the past but I am hoping Ubiquity will work as advertised.

k1w1

Lightbulb

I did not think it would be very useful in the past but I am hoping Ubiquity will work as advertised.

k1w1
    Or just twist in the +6 reflex and blue smoke tumble through enemies from tier one of either draconic or magister (Idr which atm).
    Orien: ~Erofen (30 Assassin Rogue) ~Erofenlock (24 EB Warlock) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (25 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

k1w1
    Tumbling in Epic play using Ubiquity or the Shadowdancer's similar ability are, indeed, advantageous in play to avoid being surrounded. You can continually counter-flank those who try to flank you. And if you have sneak attack ability, some of your strikes will be more potent.

Using either ability against enemies like dragons and mariliths for stick-and-move fighting to avoid overruns does help a bit, but you have to be fast.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)