Community Member

Default SSD for AMD mobo problem solved and for other communication issues with other mobos.

Well in order for me to use a computer now it must have a SSD. If it does not I will not use it. So I have been putting SSDs in a couple of old PCs I just got. One was a Pentium D that had zero issues, and usually that seems to be the norm for me with Pentium based machines.

Now I just built this crazy Asrock mobo and expansion card AMD Athlon X2 64bit that a friend gave me. I don't have Windows 7 and don't plan on investing $200 in the OS and Ram to run it. So Windows XP relies on the software with the SSD to keep it clean. Samsung and Intel include this and I think Kingston does now too along with Migration software for free. Crucial charges you on their website.

So I install another Samsung SSD on my first AMD mobo this Asrock. Everything goes well. Migration and boot up to XP. I install Samsung Magician, but it as a bad Magic show. Can't communicate with the Samsung SSD. None of the software features would work to maintain this SSD with Windows XP. Magician was useless. Called tech and they mentioned something about Marvell SATA drivers and to try to update. Well the mobo had drivers I just got from the website so oh well. Back to TigerDirect. Next up Intel 530.

For the Intel SSD 530 120gb things went well with the install also. Now it has Intel toolbox and it had more features working like OS optimization and driver health. Most of the important feature work except Drive Optimize and firmware update because same thing. It can not communicate with the drive.

Went to Intel website cause tech is closed. One guy just hooks it up to a Windows 7 machine and cleans it. Problem solved. I also hooked it up to my Windows 7 desktop and updated the firmware. You just can't do this though a USB port. It has to be SATA. I did use an Ultra SATA 2.5' expansion too, so you do not have to put it in the Windows 7 machine.

Anyone else have this problem or better solutions?

I am just going to buy a removable drive bay for it.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Honestly ive always heard nothing but headaches when trying to ghost over files and **** to the SSD.

I'm inclined to agree the best thing is just to bite the bullet and manually install the **** to it. Seems to save alot more time and headache down the road.

All I ever run is my games, and some other programs, browser ect off mine. And I never ghost those to other HHD's either because somehow something ever so little gets lost, or alters, or idk. But that one lil thing usually spells a complete wipe of the program (dd flippn O) and reinstall.

Also ive heard xp doesn't play the nicest with em. Doesn't help they're killing off all support for it either. Course it is old now, ram requirments are going up to a standard and xp 64 bit is a friggn nightmare.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Well this is my 5th SSD. 4 Samsung 840 Pro/Evo. 1 Intel 530.

A Intel Duo core business desktop refurb with Win7 Pro 64bit converted for gaming my main.

Laptop HP Intel 4500 Win7

Samsung Win8 with Intel I3. Does not come with backup DVD to Win8 so you have a backup with the original HDD. Cant order it either. I asked Samsung. You have to buy OS if HDD goes bad in furture. Original HDD sits on shelf.

Pentium D Dual Core old but no problems with Win XP

And this AMD Asrock Mobo the first to give me some problems, but atleast I can work around it. Intel seems the better choice for this mobo since most of the support software works except Trim and Firmware update.

1 outta 5 is not bad in the computer world.

__________________________________________________ _______

Question.

When I hook up the Intel 530 SSD externally to my WIN7 desktop and run the Intel Toolbox to optimize the SSD it gives me its standard loading bar. Now I read that the trim command is given but not necessarily done at that time and that the SSD does it when it is at Idle for a certain amount of time, so which is it? Or is it a garbage collection that is run?
    I might call Intel.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-29-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

Dunno about samsung but intels toolbox is picky, drive has to be in ahci and not ide mode,
    and alot of people on the web have been saying you'll get the drive not found type error
    if you have a nvidia sata controller, and have fixed it by changing the controller driver to
    standard microsoft one. There is also an alignment tool you have to use with xp on intels
    site, maybe that might cause it too.

Community Member

I found a Microsoft controller that relates to SATA and AHCI. This is an old mobo that does not have AHCI support. I think you need AHCI support in order for the SSD to receive that trim command anyway?

Even though the driver is not communicating with the Toolbox for that it is usable and more managable for the Intel vs the Samsung.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Community Member

Spoke to Intel today.

I found out important info for the Op work around the mobo not commuicating with SSD to trim it and update fireware. The plan is to just take the drive out of the AMD machine that can not trim it, and use eSATA with Intel toolbox on another machine that communicates with it to do trim.

Now they said if the original machine the Intel 530 was in was in EIDE mode then the trim should be done by a machine in EIDE mode also. If you trim it from a AHCI machine after it was in a EIDE machine there can be corruption possibly and ruin the drive. However another migration will recover it.

I was going to use a WIN7 machine in AHCI but they said that was a bad idea due to it being out of and mainly used in an older EIDE machine. I have another machine with a SSD with XP also in EIDE that has no communication problems. I already used eSATA to optimize (trim= clean the deleted files off it) with this one again instead.

I would rather go through this than settle for a HDD on this AMD machine. I just wont use it without SSD.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.