Default Improvement Suggestions from a founder

A couple of suggestions for how the game could be improved now that it has "matured".

1. The LFM system should be based on role, not on class. Players should be able to choose a role for their character which is not necessarily tied to a class. A players role should be public but class does not necessarily need to be. This would allow players to feel more comfortable experimenting with different class builds, etc, while still allowing them to fill a desired role in the game. I've seen too many get tossed out because their build didn't fit a mold, or because they weren't playing their class correctly.

2. Stop adding new content, you heard me correctly. There is currently too much content in this game relative to the number of players. What's the point of having content that no one ever runs? First, go back and rework some of the old content to make it more desireable to play, by balancing the effort to reward ratio across all content. Second, add a rotation system that will constantly rotate the active content. What I mean is not all quests in the game should be active at all times. There should be some difference in the quests available every month, with some core set that is always active. This would help to spread active play across all content in the game, as well as give players a constant change of material. Only after the existing content is getting equal playtime should new content be added.

That's all thanks.
    "And if Bruce Dikinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneFrenkle View Post
    A couple of suggestions for how the game could be improved now that it has "matured".

1. The LFM system should be based on role, not on class. Players should be able to choose a role for their character which is not necessarily tied to a class. A players role should be public but class does not necessarily need to be. This would allow players to feel more comfortable experimenting with different class builds, etc, while still allowing them to fill a desired role in the game. I've seen too many get tossed out because their build didn't fit a mold, or because they weren't playing their class correctly.

2. Stop adding new content, you heard me correctly. There is currently too much content in this game relative to the number of players. What's the point of having content that no one ever runs? First, go back and rework some of the old content to make it more desireable to play, by balancing the effort to reward ratio across all content. Second, add a rotation system that will constantly rotate the active content. What I mean is not all quests in the game should be active at all times. There should be some difference in the quests available every month, with some core set that is always active. This would help to spread active play across all content in the game, as well as give players a constant change of material. Only after the existing content is getting equal playtime should new content be added.

That's all thanks.
    1. The lfm system works as is. Roles over Class isn't really applicable, the only time that roles would work is if you were roleplaying, which generally doesn't happen.

2. If new content wasn't added, the game would have a very short life for most people. Actively adding a rotation system to the quests that are able to be played would affect nearly everyone's play style. For those that choose to tr in any form, the loss of xp from quests that aren't active would be a hard blow, even for the new player, missing quests of any adventure pack could/would be detrimental to character advancement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Very soon.............ish.™

Durrty McGurty | Forellan Windblade | Lunarii Hellion

O M N I P R E S E N C E

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

For "roles" how could the LFM enforce this?

If I wanted a Healer, how does the LFM distinguish whether or not the Divine class people are Healers?

Or if a person is CC specced?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post

If I wanted a Healer, how does the LFM distinguish whether or not the Divine class people are Healers?

Well it wouldn't. It would give you the choice of what roles you were capable of filling. My wiz might choose CC and/or Arcane DPS for instance, my bard could choose support and/or healing and/or CC, my monk may just melee DPS and/or melee tank, and so on. Biggest problem with this I see is that the community has always seemed to resist even admitting such traditional 'roles' exist in DDO. You'd also have the problem of people putting themselves up for things they really aren't capable of - but then that's no different now to 'BYOH' party leaders who don't bring their own H...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Well it wouldn't. It would give you the choice of what roles you were capable of filling. My wiz might choose CC and/or Arcane DPS for instance, my bard could choose support and/or healing and/or CC, my monk may just melee DPS and/or melee tank, and so on. Biggest problem with this I see is that the community has always seemed to resist even admitting such traditional 'roles' exist in DDO. You'd also have the problem of people putting themselves up for things they really aren't capable of - but then that's no different now to 'BYOH' party leaders who don't bring their own H...
    I see, so the onus is on the person looking for a party to check boxes in the LFM panel and then hit search?

Sounds like work. :P

Yeah, the negatives you suggest and basic human laziness make this seem like a hard sell.

The way I think you've described it does make it sound more useful than it currently is. But change is hard.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

1. remove icons and replace it with lfm notes you choose from a list like "BYOH", "zerg", "all welcome", "team players", "healer", "tank", etc. you could choose as many as you want for the different roles and to show what the party leader is looking for in forming a group. multi classing is so popular now and specific roles aren't as desired or needed as they used to be anymore. any multi class can fulfill any role and even some well built pures can do the same when a few years ago it wasn't possible and DDO was a much different game.

2. no thanks. it would affect everyone to shut out content. what about the players that paid for the content? what about the players who want to farm specific gear from specific content? what about the freedom of choice and play style? the problem isn't that there is too much content. the problem is that we have X number of players at random times of the day, playing X many hours per day and playing for a wide variety of reasons from gear to leveling to farming Comms to testing new builds to anything. players are spread out everywhere and when you only have ~X players on average per day and than give them more to do, it can feel like there aren't too many people playing the game. the solution is to get more people interested in playing DDO and keeping them here. we already got the ghostbane problem figured out, now Turbine needs to identify and address the other problems of why players aren't sticking around and why the turnover rate isn't better than what it is.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Content focus attracts more players when it is done correctly. More options is better. Forcing people to run stuff they don't want to or else wait til next week for the content they want to run to magically appear is not a good choice to force on players. I prefer they incentivize running content that gets run least with better XP rewards. One low one medium one high and one epic pack per week could have 25% XP and they can rotate that based on what gets played least for instance.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I prefer they incentivize running content that gets run least with better XP rewards. One low one medium one high and one epic pack per week could have 25% XP and they can rotate that based on what gets played least for instance.
    excellent idea. certain least run packs could be like DDO bonus days. increase the xp one week, the next week increase the loot bonus. maybe even alternate some special store rewards that can only be found in chests of certain packs that get hit with the special treatment.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post

Fawngate has served the healer role in a major raid while being a pure wizard archmage/lich.
    Yes, it can be done if you ponder it.

She can CC and regen as a sleet quaker.
    Yes, druids can strongly heal.

She has support healed as a multiclass barbarian in TR zerging groups.
    UMD and half elf for the win.

She has party healed as a half elf light monk in crystal cove for hours.
    Add healing ki stuff to above.

If she clicked on a lmf asking for a healer role in any of those classes, would she be accepted?
    Or is the question more complex than that?

Placing bard/druid/cleric/favored soul as your class choices usually indicates you are looking for some heals.
    One could add, looking for moderate heals to the title?

Or perhaps the OP is indicating that some healers don't heal?
    Which is nonsense, since if one does not heal then they obviously aren't a healer.

Healing is about knowledge, reflexes, and attitude as much as anything.
    Regardless no matter what happens, all toons should have some sort of life replenishing option,
    or some very, very good friends.

Content focus attracts more players when it is done correctly. More options is better. Forcing people to run stuff they don't want to or else wait til next week for the content they want to run to magically appear is not a good choice to force on players. I prefer they incentivize running content that gets run least with better XP rewards. One low one medium one high and one epic pack per week could have 25% XP and they can rotate that based on what gets played least for instance.
    +1

We need several level 30~33 raids as soon as possible.
    We need epic greensteel soon.
    We need more level 28~33 quests.

I prefer they incentivize running content that gets run least with better XP rewards. One low one medium one high and one epic pack per week could have 25% XP and they can rotate that based on what gets played least for instance.
    I knew a bar that used this system for the pricing of drinks. Was rather popular.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    1. remove icons and replace it with lfm notes you choose from a list like "BYOH", "zerg", "all welcome", "team players", "healer", "tank", etc. you could choose as many as you want for the different roles and to show what the party leader is looking for in forming a group. multi classing is so popular now and specific roles aren't as desired or needed as they used to be anymore. any multi class can fulfill any role and even some well built pures can do the same when a few years ago it wasn't possible and DDO was a much different game.

2. no thanks. it would affect everyone to shut out content. what about the players that paid for the content? what about the players who want to farm specific gear from specific content? what about the freedom of choice and play style? the problem isn't that there is too much content. the problem is that we have X number of players at random times of the day, playing X many hours per day and playing for a wide variety of reasons from gear to leveling to farming Comms to testing new builds to anything. players are spread out everywhere and when you only have ~X players on average per day and than give them more to do, it can feel like there aren't too many people playing the game. the solution is to get more people interested in playing DDO and keeping them here. we already got the ghostbane problem figured out, now Turbine needs to identify and address the other problems of why players aren't sticking around and why the turnover rate isn't better than what it is.
    Dude... I don't know what to say. There is something so fundamentally wrong with this post that... <shakes head>

Look man, you can't use "x" for all those variables. There's a whole (Greek/Romanized) alphabet you can use for place holders.

I'm just saying. :P