Community Member

Default Air Savant Sorcerer questions

I am new to DDO and slowly getting the hang of things, i am an Air Savant with all my spells specializing in Force,Air, or Electricity, obviously because thats my specialization. Now i understand that can be bad because it doesnt add to the versatility as i've found out when fighting a Earth Elemental haha. I was wondering what would be some good spells to equip myself with, i am Level 7 and like i said i have spells that are all Air, force, and/or Electricity. and what would maybe be a good secondary Savant, i've read water, fire, or even earth, but doesnt earth Savant cancel out Air basically?

I am Also curious in my enhancement tree, i have Electric loop and was curious as to what the point of having that there if i already selected the spell when i went to level 2 (i believe). does it give me a bonus? or was it a waste of an AP? should i exchange the spell electric loop for another? or what?. I am having fun, and i play with my older brother and my sister in Law. so any help would be appreciated, hope you all have a good day and happy holidays!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser89 View Post
    I am new to DDO and slowly getting the hang of things, i am an Air Savant with all my spells specializing in Force,Air, or Electricity, obviously because thats my specialization. Now i understand that can be bad because it doesnt add to the versatility as i've found out when fighting a Earth Elemental haha. I was wondering what would be some good spells to equip myself with, i am Level 7 and like i said i have spells that are all Air, force, and/or Electricity. and what would maybe be a good secondary Savant, i've read water, fire, or even earth, but doesnt earth Savant cancel out Air basically?

I am Also curious in my enhancement tree, i have Electric loop and was curious as to what the point of having that there if i already selected the spell when i went to level 2 (i believe). does it give me a bonus? or was it a waste of an AP? should i exchange the spell electric loop for another? or what?. I am having fun, and i play with my older brother and my sister in Law. so any help would be appreciated, hope you all have a good day and happy holidays!
    The spells that are n the enhancements are there for you to use instead of having to select a spell at level.
    As for elemental spell selection. people take a main direction with a secondary element for times when ur main spells dont work.
    Yes ur right some of them dont work together eg as u put more more points into Air savant ur acid spell damage decreses.

In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a page on the wiki that lists the spells that are enhanced by the different savants. That should help you pick spells, or avoid spells that are weak to you.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Elemental_Savant_Spells

If you are going to go with a second savant to help you out, you can browse the spells to see if any appeal to you. Keep in mind you might not get very many of them, and they wont be quite as great as your air spells.

Having the lower level Spell Like Abilities free's up one of your spells slots for something else, unless you want it twice. The advantage of the SLA is that is is much lower in SP cost and you can improve it from there. You need the lower ones to get the higher (and better) ones in the tree, iirc.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

I am at work and for some reason wont let me go to the DDO wiki page but i will go when i get home, thanks guys. so then a quick question would it be better to use the Electric Loop in my enhancment tree then the spell i got at level 2? is there a difference besides one being cheaper to cast?

Community Member

I am at work and for some reason wont let me go to the DDO wiki page but i will go when i get home, thanks guys. so then a quick question would it be better to use the Electric Loop in my enhancment tree then the spell i got at level 2? is there a difference besides one being cheaper to cast?
    Use the one from enhancment as it will only cost the less sp even if u have empower/max going and u get an extra spell from level 2

Community Member

the main benefit of savant spell-like abilities is that you can apply metamagic feats for free, thus greatly increasing the damage they deal, without increasing the spell point cost.

usually, you don't need to take the spell that you can get as a SLA. But you can. Though I would recommend taking movement/utility spells instead. When you pick up SLAs from a second savant tree, you are often able to kill enemies only using SLAs. This allows you to rarely end up without spell points.

In my experience, fire goes nicely with air.

Community Member

Air savant?

Get the SLAs for sure.
    Swap out the same spells for more useful things.

You will find that higher you take the slas the faster they cooldown,
    Also Get maximize and empower, then right click your SLAs on the hotbar (because, trust me)

set the metamagics on the SLAs to always on. very high power, very low sp cost.

Take Fire secondary - grab Fireball and blow stuff up.

Firewall and Ice Storm are good AOE spells (but not together - Ice storm puts out the fire wall)

Solid Fog + Ice Storm = super slow enemies with -5 Reflex Save while they traipse through your AOE.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows