Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone specialize in CC for epic elite anymore? Is it worth doing?

I used to play an enchant spec'd sorc. (yep, its that old.) Then he became an enchant spec'd archmage. Now he's dusty. I'm hearing that DC casting might be viable again. Is that talking about CC also or mostly just insta-kill?

The days of mass-hold and maiming rocksplitters were kind of the heyday for this toon. I doubt we will ever return to that, but what's the CC life like right now on EE?

Thanks.
    /sigh

Reaching the required DCs is back to being only extremly hard as normal. (Not "impossible" as was the case fairly recently)

I have seen few cases of good enough DC enchanters, and it is always a pleasure. The way things are currently you do not really need to reach "no fail" just close to good and it helps a lot if 3/4 the enemy group is held and such.

Though I have seen more good illusionists than enchanters as DC casters lately.

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    Though I have seen more good illusionists than enchanters as DC casters lately.
    Are they using Phantasmal Killer and Hypnotic Pattern in EE now? Things have truly changed...
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    Are they using Phantasmal Killer and Hypnotic Pattern in EE now? Things have truly changed...
    Phantasmal killer comes in SLA form.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Sorc is terrible CC class.
    Wizard is better, but still meh.

Best CC is druid.

Community Member

My wiz Deconned, PM Drow in khyber, is specialized in CC, after changes in the Enhancements system became easier to use spells like hold monster and disco ball. I havent difficulty using the CC spells in the quests EE stormhorns and wheelon. My current Enchant DC is 67 (no bard past life, no ddo store potions, no denneith potions, no abishai cookies, no completionist).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post

Best CC is druid.
    You need to run with better wizards. Wizards with no fail holds and discoballs make stormhorns EE take about 10-15 minutes a quest, and the group will take about no damage. WGU is an exception, that takes longer.

Some other options for CC these days.

Pin
    Otto's whistler
    Overwhelming Force
    Nerve venom

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    You need to run with better wizards. Wizards with no fail holds and discoballs make stormhorns EE take about 10-15 minutes a quest, and the group will take about no damage. WGU is an exception, that takes longer.
    Druid does the same, but with more DPS.
    And they need to worry only about single school.

What kind of DC can you hit on a sorc?

My necro-specc'd wizard is a 62(?) Enchant DC and it works very well in EE Storm horns. It won't get the Blackguards or all of the casters though.

The problem with CC is that there really is no problem with CC.

People/players create their own problem by looking for viable NO FAIL CC.

Crowd control has turned into NO FAIL control.

Meaning: people are looking for and expecting NO FAIL, when you can be successful without "no fail" CC.

It was the same back when the level cap was 20. Everyone expected NO FAIL. And if you missed 1 out of 8 mobs on a masshold, you were a waste of a spell slot and couldn't CC for nothing.

You do not need no fail to CC EE content.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

I enjoy playing my CC bard, I just wish that CC bards were more effective. If they were I have a feeling I would be playing her a lot. I wish that my bard was as good at CC as a druid or wizard and had more efficient options then fascinate/enthrall (which all bards can be good at and does not help dps) and disco ball (which does not help the party dps other then congregating the mobs). Earthquake and mass hold are just far better and more fun in my opinion.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

Druid does the same, but with more DPS.
    And they need to worry only about single school.
    *facepalm* You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Community Member

If you can get Mass Hold to stick effectively, you'll be quite a bonus for any Draconic running with you. Nothing like the damage from a burst amid helpless mobs.

No, you don't need 100% success either, given how much trash you deal with in Stormhorns/Wheloon.

Community Member

Best CC is druid.
    You ever see a Sunburst wear off?

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    *facepalm* You really have no idea what you're talking about.
    Do you know anything?

You can get much higher evocation DCs, thanks to sorc past lifes and magister + draconic twists, and earthquake is superior to any CC spell wizard can cast.

Do you know anything?

You can get much higher evocation DCs, thanks to sorc past lifes and magister + draconic twists, and earthquake is superior to any CC spell wizard can cast.
    I can tell you do not run with many really high CC mass hold wizards. In UP in the Air earthquake is nice because the mobs are so spread out on top of the platform, but really Mass Hold is stronger in most of the content in the stormhorns and if the wizard has high enough DCs in Whelon as well. Mass hold is just a great one. The reality is there are just not many High Dcs CC wizards anymore even on my server.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

It can work. But it is difficult.

My first life Pale Master had some luck in Magester. But I have been frustrated since I changed destinies.

One issue is that even when it works, it seems it does not last very long..... and if the party actually "needs" CC, it probably does not last long enough for them to kill those mountains of HP things.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    The reality is there are just not many High Dcs CC wizards anymore even on my server.
    We're all on Ghallanda.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I can tell you do not run with many really high CC mass hold wizards. In UP in the Air earthquake is nice because the mobs are so spread out on top of the platform, but really Mass Hold is stronger in most of the content in the stormhorns and if the wizard has high enough DCs in Whelon as well. Mass hold is just a great one. The reality is there are just not many High Dcs CC wizards anymore even on my server.
    The big plus of earthquake is that it isn't a once off spell like mass hold. If the mobs passes his save, he has to make another one in 2 seconds. There is also no spell resistance check. Now, I agree mass hold, when it lands, is more effective. But earthquake doesn't need to be no fail to work all the time anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast