Community Member

Default shadorkai monk build

I am considering doing a TR into an iconic shadorkai, and was wondering:

How does the various spiked chain enhancements interact with 19 monk levels?

ie. are there any problems if fighting as a 19 monk and using the chain whirlwind thing?
    Does it uncenter you, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by AshenPlanet View Post
    I am considering doing a TR into an iconic shadorkai, and was wondering:

How does the various spiked chain enhancements interact with 19 monk levels?

ie. are there any problems if fighting as a 19 monk and using the chain whirlwind thing?
    Does it uncenter you, etc?
    Unless you are able to plug in several Fighter levels to go with any Monk training for the Kensei class and its "One With The Blade" ability, the use of the spiked chain (and any other weapons that aren't a quarterstaff, shuriken, kama or unarmed, with some exceptions) will uncenter you and disable all Monk abilities.

That said, I'm not even sure what the spiked chain is classified in terms of weapons, so even going Kensei might not help here if the Kensei focus does not support it.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Unless you are able to plug in several Fighter levels to go with any Monk training for the Kensei class and its "One With The Blade" ability, the use of the spiked chain (and any other weapons that aren't a quarterstaff, shuriken, kama or unarmed, with some exceptions) will uncenter you and disable all Monk abilities.

That said, I'm not even sure what the spiked chain is classified in terms of weapons, so even going Kensei might not help here if the Kensei focus does not support it.
    Is using that ability considered switching your weapon though? ddowiki just says it's a "melee attack" with whatever weapon you're using..?
    "Icon Feat Spiked Chain Attack.png
    Spiked Chain Attack: Perform an AOE melee attack for 1d6+4 damage plus 1d6 additional damage per level to all nearby enemies. Targets can attempt a reflex save for half damage. The DC is based on your level and Dexterity modifier."
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

Quote Originally Posted by zaphear View Post
    Is using that ability considered switching your weapon though? ddowiki just says it's a "melee attack" with whatever weapon you're using..?
    "Icon Feat Spiked Chain Attack.png
    Spiked Chain Attack: Perform an AOE melee attack for 1d6+4 damage plus 1d6 additional damage per level to all nearby enemies. Targets can attempt a reflex save for half damage. The DC is based on your level and Dexterity modifier."
    That's a good question of which I don't know the answer.

You might ask around of players with Shadar-Kais to see what they have equipped in their weapon slots when using the spiked chain. If there's no weapon equipped but the chain attack can be done, then it's possible that the attack can work with a Monk. If any weapon other than what I described is present, then becoming uncentered is practically certain.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Community Member

That's a good question of which I don't know the answer.

You might ask around of players with Shadar-Kais to see what they have equipped in their weapon slots when using the spiked chain. If there's no weapon equipped but the chain attack can be done, then it's possible that the attack can work with a Monk. If any weapon other than what I described is present, then becoming uncentered is practically certain.
    I have a Shadar-Kai monk and the AOE chain does not uncentre you and does not replace your equipped weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by tapster View Post
    I have a Shadar-Kai monk and the AOE chain does not uncentre you and does not replace your equipped weapon.
    /seconded

I've found this to be my experience, too.

(1 rogue/14 monk shadar-kai crucible toon)

ETA: It also doesn't break the ninja shadow nor the racial shadow-based abilities. I don't know off-hand if those break on attacking normally.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    /seconded

I've found this to be my experience, too.

(1 rogue/14 monk shadar-kai crucible toon)

ETA: It also doesn't break the ninja shadow nor the racial shadow-based abilities. I don't know off-hand if those break on attacking normally.
    Excellent news, guys. Thanks for replying. It might breathe life into a better Rogue Ninja I've been trying to build with sufficient trapping skills on Elite, balanced with decent offensive ability.

Community Member

Excellent news, guys. Thanks for replying. It might breathe life into a better Rogue Ninja I've been trying to build with sufficient trapping skills on Elite, balanced with decent offensive ability.
    Dunno if this was posted elsewhere but it also doesn't break animal form for druids (16M/2F/2D)

The chain attack works just like cleave--it's not a "weapon", it's a special attack. It just keeps firing until you move.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Dunno if this was posted elsewhere but it also doesn't break animal form for druids (16M/2F/2D)
    Did not know that, interesting!