Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founder

Default Why is Cosmetic Armor In Categories?

I haven't used Cosmetic Armor in this game because I didn't like the one-time use of the kits and when I first glanced at the new Cosmetic Armor it was too expensive. Now that it's on sale I decided to see if there was anything I liked and discovered that, unlike the kits which were "skins" that would work on any armor, the Cosmetic Armor is divided by weight and docents! I guess this was the money decision: if we can't make more money selling one-time use kits, we'll make it by making people buy a separate item for each weight or for docents. It's unfortunate: I was prepared to buy several different looks that I could share among all my alts. As it is, I will be buying less or none since I can only use them for specific armor.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I haven't used Cosmetic Armor in this game because I didn't like the one-time use of the kits and when I first glanced at the new Cosmetic Armor it was too expensive. Now that it's on sale I decided to see if there was anything I liked and discovered that, unlike the kits which were "skins" that would work on any armor, the Cosmetic Armor is divided by weight and docents! I guess this was the money decision: if we can't make more money selling one-time use kits, we'll make it by making people buy a separate item for each weight or for docents. It's unfortunate: I was prepared to buy several different looks that I could share among all my alts. As it is, I will be buying less or none since I can only use them for specific armor.
    Not how it works. The new kits can make pajamas look like heavy plate or your ugly scalemail look like a robe. So you get more choices.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    Not how it works. The new kits can make pajamas look like heavy plate or your ugly scalemail look like a robe. So you get more choices.
    When I look at the store with my Warforged and I choose "Show All Items", and I click "Current Sales", all the non-Warforged cosmetic armor is red-outlined and says "Not Currently Usable By This Character" in red under the purchase buttons.

but thats cause youre a warforged, you can only wear docents and thus only docent cosmetics
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    but thats cause youre a warforged, you can only wear docents and thus only docent cosmetics
    this is right.

only wf and bladeforged can use wf "clothing"

conversly, fleshys can use ANY other cosmetic armor no matter what the armor is their actualy wearing.

Founder

Ok, looks like only my WF character is out of luck. Unfortunately my main is WF but I am not going to pay that many points for a cosmetic that only he can wear. I only buy cosmetics that I can share among my characters.

The categories break down the look. Breaking them down into Categories makes it easier to find the style you're looking for.

The important parts are:
    They are a BtA item and can be passed via the shared bank.
    Their appearance is consistent no matter what type of armor you're wearing in the main slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    conversly, fleshys can use ANY other cosmetic armor no matter what the armor is their actualy wearing.
    just like fleshy can use any armor no matter what as well
    *insert axe*
    o o

just like fleshy can use any armor no matter what as well
    Regale us with tales of how effective your fleshy level 20 monk wearing fullplate is.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

its not about what is effective, its about what is doable (and monk isnt a race)

wfs can only wear docents, thats why they only get docent cosmetics

felshies can wear cloth, light, medium and heavy armor, thats why they can get all those as cosmetic
    *insert axe*
    o o

its not about what is effective, its about what is doable (and monk isnt a race)
    The standard given was "no matter what"...it's very trivial to find a "what" to blanket statements like that.

Also, I have a suit of RR:Warforged mithral full plate from long, long ago when it was possible to generate that configuration.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    The standard given was "no matter what"...it's very trivial to find a "what" to blanket statements like that.
    Yeah if you want to be "that guy" who pick nits with the stuff everyone ELSE understands and gets the intended meaning and doesn't need spelled out for them.

People who are intentionally overly literal don't seem to understand how it makes them look when they go about "correcting" people.

Community Member

To go back on the OP's topic, I understand what he's saying.

I know what the Devs are doing by making the armors for different categories. It's so players can do silly things like have Monks fight in cosmetic Heavy Armor if the player so wishes.

But they really dropped the ball when it comes to WF (again). The lack of diversity for Docents both actual and cosmetic. Besides the lack of unique docents in the actual game, there have been ZERO specialty cosmetics for WF, like the Garb of the High Forest, Scoundrel's Leathers, Phoenix Robe or Shadowfell Regalia. Well, unless you count the Bladeforge Cosmetic Docents, that don't work on regular WF.

It's really disappointing that a premium race that's got gear which is not interchangeable with all the other races gets shafted so much in this game.

Community Member

Ok, looks like only my WF character is out of luck. Unfortunately my main is WF but I am not going to pay that many points for a cosmetic that only he can wear. I only buy cosmetics that I can share among my characters.
    WF Cosmetic Armor looks ugly as hell anyway, so no big loss.

edit:
    I own 4 sets of Cosmetic Armor, none for WF.
    Would have bought a lot more if there would be more good looking armor.
    I just dont get it why the devs put the ugliest armor there and i absolutely do not understand their obsession with the hunchback of notre dame.
    Prime example for that is the Purple Dragon Knight Armor, makes you look like a fat hunchback..
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 12-28-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

For my taste the best cosmetic choices cost you Adamantine Body combined with some older cosmetics. The body plates were disgusting sometimes but some old armor skins complemented well. I haven't tested the new cosmetics so far, I hope they are less affected by bodyplates.

The worst cosmetics ever + bodyplates happened to be all the new eveningstar stuff back then. Somebody at Turbine loved hunchbacks it seems.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Even if it is easy, you failed miserably. The original point is 100% correct: fleshies can wear any non-docent armor. The word "can" means "allowed to actually equip it", not "is effective in endgame content." The nit you picked was both irrelevant and incorrect.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    To go back on the OP's topic, I understand what he's saying.

I know what the Devs are doing by making the armors for different categories. It's so players can do silly things like have Monks fight in cosmetic Heavy Armor if the player so wishes.

But they really dropped the ball when it comes to WF (again). The lack of diversity for Docents both actual and cosmetic. Besides the lack of unique docents in the actual game, there have been ZERO specialty cosmetics for WF, like the Garb of the High Forest, Scoundrel's Leathers, Phoenix Robe or Shadowfell Regalia. Well, unless you count the Bladeforge Cosmetic Docents, that don't work on regular WF.

It's really disappointing that a premium race that's got gear which is not interchangeable with all the other races gets shafted so much in this game.
    Yea, if WF must wear docents, fine. But all the other cosmetics can "cover" armor that you normally can't wear - why leave docents out? If a cosmetic outfit can "cover" heavy armor why can't it cover a docent?

I suspect that they have programmed docents completely different from regular armor like they programmed handwraps completely different from regular weapons. So we have problems with both and not enough named of both, etc. I hope they reprogram both of these items to behave like normal items. The way they are is overly-complicated and completely unnecessary.

Yea, if WF must wear docents, fine. But all the other cosmetics can "cover" armor that you normally can't wear - why leave docents out? If a cosmetic outfit can "cover" heavy armor why can't it cover a docent?
    Simple. It would require art-work that isn't in the game at this time.. I'd rather they work on other things than retro-fitting WF art to be able to wear heavy armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Should have been a cosmetic slot that we paid to unlock where we can put ANY piece of armor in there and we only get its look but not its stats. Then they wouldn't have to worry about making artwork that doesn't exist yet.

As it is, I will be buying less or none since I can only use them for specific armor.
    As someone who bought quite a few armor kits that are now bound to a particular piece of armor that is itself bound to a particular character, I didn't have any problem at all buying a good number of the new armor kits that bind to account and can be used on any piece of armor for any character in my stable. Docents are the only thing that is separate, but they too bind to account, and I'm actually glad they did it like they did it because I think it would be quite strange to have robots running around in pajamas.

The price now as compared to before is a fraction of what it was if you factor in the inevitability of armor upgrades forcing you to buy another or go without. I just can't wait for them to add some of my favorite ones from the old armor kits, like spider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast