Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You've said things like that before. I don't believe that you were lying at the time and I don't believe that you are lying now, but the assurances given for the Offer Wall weren't accurate then and I don't have any faith in Turbine's ability to keep private information private now.

If you didn't have such a catastrophic track record as a company on issues like this, I'd be more likely to believe you.
    Offerwall, such a tremendously horrible idea that players still don't trust Turbine years later. Who thought that was a good idea at the time? And do they still work for the company?
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    You are not signing up for any promotional things from the program that facilitates the distribution of codes. No spam, emails or any further contact other than what we do on our DDO Facebook page will happen. This application simply keeps track of who has received a code to prevent someone from signing up with the same account one thousand times, that is the extent of the permissions sought.
    Thank you for replying again and trying to assuage us. I do not remember past trouble as some are referring to, I only know that the digital age and Facebook both are terrible for privacy: Look what happened with Target!?

The pop up asks permission to access so much...if the program is merely to keep track of who has taken advantage of an offer, WHY does it need to access our friends list? and other personal information? This isn't on you Cordovan or Turbine, but you all might point out to Facebook that, "Hey, in the age of digital hacking and spybots and adware and more, asking if it's acceptable to access all of the Facebook use'rs information just to tally who has taken this offer is a bit over the top."

It is not paranoia if they really ARE out to get you

Lastly, I DO appreciate that this is a free offer as you have clarified with no advertisement being attached to it, and I thank you for the free offer as always free is very nice.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

You are not signing up for any promotional things from the program that facilitates the distribution of codes. No spam, emails or any further contact other than what we do on our DDO Facebook page will happen. This application simply keeps track of who has received a code to prevent someone from signing up with the same account one thousand times, that is the extent of the permissions sought.
    Call me a skeptic....

Offerpop will receive the following info: your public profile, friend list, email address, birthday, current city and likes.

There is no good reason why Offerpop would need my entire friends list, all my Likes, and email addresses if it was simply making sure I wasnt getting 2 cubes...

From the agreement... (Clicking accept through facebook qualifies us as a "Social user")

If you are a Social User, by participating in any campaign or promotion operated by the Offerpop Applications, you hereby acknowledge and agree that Offerpop will receive, use, store, process, and share your Personal Information with the relevant Services User who is operating a marketing campaign or promotion in which you elect to participate, but solely as necessary for Offerpop to (a) facilitate Services Users' use of the Offerpop Applications during such campaign or promotion; and (b) create aggregate reports or other marketing analyses that do not identify Social Users personally for the relevant Services Users operating the campaign or promotion, or for Offerpop's internal business and marketing analysis. You are hereby informed that it is your responsibility to review and consent to each Services Users' privacy policies and those of the applicable social media platform prior to participating in any marketing campaign or event.

http://www.offerpop.com/privacy-policy.html
    I certainly dont need a cube that bad..
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Call me a skeptic....

Offerpop will receive the following info: your public profile, friend list, email address, birthday, current city and likes.

There is no good reason why Offerpop would need my entire friends list, all my Likes, and email addresses if it was simply making sure I wasnt getting 2 cubes...

From the agreement... (Clicking accept through facebook qualifies us as a "Social user")

To be fair, I just finished filling out another bug report for Turbine and for some reason they need my name and email address even though they are quite clear that they will not be contacting me concerning my bug report at all. I'm not quite sure why my name and email are required for them to read about my bugs, but they ask for it and tell me they're required fields as well. I just fill them in with gibberish and submit. If that's not good enough for them, they don't need to read about my bug report I guess, but I'm not giving any personal info unless it deals with the bug itself. I get that they want to ask me for my name and email. What I don't get is why this info is "required" in order to submit my bug report. I could be anonymous and the bug still exists.

I guess my point is that is Turbine logic and exactly why they aren't concerned about this Facebook app at all.

Community Member

So you (Turbine) as the Services User of the Offerpop application is saying the above is the extent as to the information that will be used or taken?

As much as I appreciate the offer of a new pet I just want to make sure my Friends List isn't going to used for some advertising campaign.
    My Toons:
    DWP - Fighter/Favored Soul, Olur Takun - Something, Perddy Elfie - Artificer, Tamqil Jemhar - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    To be fair, I just finished filling out another bug report for Turbine and for some reason they need my name and email address even though they are quite clear that they will not be contacting me concerning my bug report at all. I'm not quite sure why my name and email are required for them to read about my bugs, but they ask for it and tell me they're required fields as well. I just fill them in with gibberish and submit. If that's not good enough for them, they don't need to read about my bug report I guess, but I'm not giving any personal info unless it deals with the bug itself. I get that they want to ask me for my name and email. What I don't get is why this info is "required" in order to submit my bug report. I could be anonymous and the bug still exists.

I guess my point is that is Turbine logic and exactly why they aren't concerned about this Facebook app at all.

I dont care if Turbine has my info. I know they have it all already....

Offerpop is another story altogether.

If turbine just wanted to give us all a cube, theres no reason why they could not of made a single use coupon that we got the code for when we clicked the offer on the FB page.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Call me a skeptic....

Let's be realistic. Basically anything you put on facebook, type in on a search engine, amazon, ebay, ect. is tracked and stored by ad companies anyway. So you may as well get the free pet. And you shouldn't put any personal information you don't want the whole world to see on facebook anyway, despite your privacy settings.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Let's be realistic. Basically anything you put on facebook, type in on a search engine, amazon, ebay, ect. is tracked and stored by ad companies anyway. So you may as well get the free pet. And you shouldn't put any personal information you don't want the whole world to see on facebook anyway, despite your privacy settings.
    What's more, EVERY app you 'install' on Facebook, every game, Poke, calendar, all of it, has the exact same Terms. Then there's Android and iOS. Every app you install wants access to your contacts, dialer, network data, blah blah blah.... C'mon guys, Turbine ain't the villain here and y'all know it. You make it sound like this is the first time you've ever seen an app tell you it wants your friends list... sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    What's more, EVERY app you 'install' on Facebook, every game, Poke, calendar, all of it, has the exact same Terms. Then there's Android and iOS. Every app you install wants access to your contacts, dialer, network data, blah blah blah.... C'mon guys, Turbine ain't the villain here and y'all know it. You make it sound like this is the first time you've ever seen an app tell you it wants your friends list... sheesh.
    Although I agree that the big villian isn't Turbine, I'll disagree with you about Turbine not being a villain on this issue.

Players have repeatedly rejected Turbine's push to use the various social medias in the past. The push has been from coupons only available via Facebook and Twitter to voting in silly polls for the forums. Players have repeatedly rejected Turbine's insistence for players to join the various Social Media.

I've brought this up before in the past about these social media. Reaching out to players via the other social media is fine, but it shouldn't substitute the forums. When players keep rejecting something, it might be time to cut loose on pushing it. Heck, they've pretty much admitted that they've cut loose making new Monster Manuals...and that's something players have been begging for additional volumes, even with the old ones still being a little broken.

I dont care if Turbine has my info. I know they have it all already....

Offerpop is another story altogether.

If turbine just wanted to give us all a cube, theres no reason why they could not of made a single use coupon that we got the code for when we clicked the offer on the FB page.
    I get really suspicious and even offended when information that is in no way mandatory is labeled as "required". There is no way they need any personal info from me in order to read a bug report. I'm fine if they want to make it an optional field, but saying it's required is a lie. My point was that a company that lies to it's customers on it's own forms, likely has no issues with 3rd parties lying to us when Turbine has no responsibility for them.

Community Member

i have to admit - i lately bought a spirit cake
    i was aware of the cost and the benefit
    and even tho i didn´t complete the quest with the usage of 2 cakes and a gold summon ..
    it felt o.k. to spend those turbine points for the try ..

I do feel o.k. to give away some privat informations
    in case i want something..

To give those facebooc account infos away for a cosmetic pet ... dare me ..
    But i would create some new fb acounts for getting a epic heart or so ..

Turbine rly needs to overthink social marketing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Exactly.

Let's face it, Facebook has already sold every scrap of information on your account to anyone who is interested.

You've said things like that before. I don't believe that you were lying at the time and I don't believe that you are lying now, but the assurances given for the Offer Wall weren't accurate then and I don't have any faith in Turbine's ability to keep private information private now.

If you didn't have such a catastrophic track record as a company on issues like this, I'd be more likely to believe you.
    To be honest, your paranoia is a little misguided. In reality, most companies you do business with in 2013/2014 will also sell your information for extra cash. Facebook and other social media sites do it, obviously. It is their business model after all. Other companies like Verizon sell your information to marketing firms and even the federal government (at their own admission in recent news articles about the NSA). Credit Card companies have been have been using your information like this since, well forever really.

And that just covers companies selling your information. As the recent hacking of Target has demonstrated quiet nicely, anyone you do business with in a traceable manor can be hacked. Even people's encrypted pin numbers were stolen according to some reports.

This is the age of information, and your privacy is for sale, one way or another.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    To be honest, your paranoia is a little misguided. In reality, most companies you do business with in 2013/2014 will also sell your information for extra cash. Facebook and other social media sites do it, obviously. It is their business model after all. Other companies like Verizon sell your information to marketing firms and even the federal government (at their own admission in recent news articles about the NSA). Credit Card companies have been have been using your information like this since, well forever really.

And that just covers companies selling your information. As the recent hacking of Target has demonstrated quiet nicely, anyone you do business with in a traceable manor can be hacked. Even people's encrypted pin numbers were stolen according to some reports.

This is the age of information, and your privacy is for sale, one way or another.
    Selling my information that I choose to provide to legitimate companies is one thing. Providing my secure information in clear text to malware companies is quite another. Do you remember what a colossal fiasco the Offer Wall was?

I think that treating Turbine with more suspicion than most other companies is entirely reasonable.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

The cube binds. Also, having more than one on the same account serves no purpose as cosmetic pets are accessible from any of your characters. What purpose is served by this preventive measure that so invades your customer's privacy and makes them more vulnerable than facebook already is?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

The cube binds. and having more than one on the same account serves no purpose as cosmetic pets are accessible from any of your characters. What purpose is served by this?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therrias View Post
    Exactly.

Let's face it, Facebook has already sold every scrap of information on your account to anyone who is interested.
    FYI, i read that Facebook even stores (and probably "uses") even stuff people never posted there, but just wrote and deleted. Maybe i'm a bit inaccurate and it's stuff people posted and then deleted... If i find the link with the relative info, i'll post it later
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

vouch

Selling my information that I choose to provide to legitimate companies is one thing. Providing my secure information in clear text to malware companies is quite another. Do you remember what a colossal fiasco the Offer Wall was?

I think that treating Turbine with more suspicion than most other companies is entirely reasonable.
    Oh I remember Offer Way, very well.

Horrible, hated it, got my pitchfork and torches just like everyone else...

In the end, it was removed.

TBH, suspicion is reasonable, but to be more suspicious is not. This IS Facebook we are talking about here. Your info was sold moments after you signed up not to mention it was probably sold a very long time before that.

Your information was sold from any one of the other web site your registered to, this is nothing new.

Want the Cube? Don't want your info sold, make a dummy/false account, get your pet, delete your fake account.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Wow, a few people do not understand how everything is marketed today.

Since the dawn of the 1950s or so, people began to market. Hence the TV Show Mad Men, based on this.

Eventually, the marketers needed more information so they created CONTESTS. With these contests they gathered information about your habits and pried further into you.

Now, we have facebook, twitter, and whatever other social media there is that need to monetize their assets. The only asset that these companies have is INFORMATION on their users.

All of our information has been available for a long, long time for sale. That is why you get junk mail and junk email. Your information was sold to someone at 45 cents or so.

Facebook has chosen the path of evil for money. I will never join Facebook because Facebook thinks that everything about me is public. I think differently.

Now, because some people are complaining Turbine has cut back on their giveaways all because some people cannot get the item. The stuff is virtual. I would worry more about why the government is not giving you 2 years of unemployment like they did other people before I would worry about some virtual bytes and bits.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast