Community Member

Default Looking for a DPS Build with heals

I'm new to DDO, but familiar with PnP and MMORPGs in general. Here's what I'm looking for, and I'm hopeful to get some of the expert advice I'm seeing on these boards.
    I'll be playing primarily with a group of friends, and I don't have much interest in end game/ raiding/ powergaming etc. I'm looking for a character that is primarily melee DPS (my standard of play for ages) with the ability to heal a bit when I'm in my small friend group (a ranger and/or a wizard). Also, I'd like that character to have solid solo ability. I was thinking Paladin, but I'd love other suggestions. Also, I'm considering buying the 32pt build.
    Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

Community Member

I decided to get the 32 point build, so please factor that in. Thanks!

The best advice I can offer is try things out yourself before going for a more complex build, I've been playing for just over a year and am still far from understanding the complexities of multi-class builds. All my characters are pure builds because I wanted to see what each class offered and after a year I have still only tried 6 of the classes and only three of them are above lvl 20. Having said that my first build was a cleric and I still love her although at times she is hard work but her healing/buffing ability is brilliant, she has a good set of offensive spells and her dps is reasonable due to the Warpriest Enhancement Tree. What I would also say is custom build your character dont use the preset paths and most importantly have fun!!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Ranger

Paladin

Bard

Come to mind. All classes with inherent healing spells. The Bard Warchanter is a solid option, imho. You have cc (Fascinate, only borked in epics to a factor where it really matters), you can buff and heal the group (UMD + little Cure x Wounds) and melee (*War* stuff ;P). But xou have to tinker a little bit gearwise. Skill selection is good, skillpoints, too.

Paladin is very defensive, so you have to make up for offense with good enhancement selection and items.

Ranger is limitted to twf melee, but you can build up ranged combat as well. Good skill selection and many skill points give you a base for customizing according to your friends needs.

The actual build outline might be depending on your 'microing' skills, so you could go as a 12/6/2 split or pure. Sinceyou want to have healing even for your friends you have to decide whether to use UMD for off combat heals and topping off (favors class splits) or to choose Quicken Spell and heal incombat (favors pure class).
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by silasjakob View Post
    I'm new to DDO, but familiar with PnP and MMORPGs in general. Here's what I'm looking for, and I'm hopeful to get some of the expert advice I'm seeing on these boards.
    I'll be playing primarily with a group of friends, and I don't have much interest in end game/ raiding/ powergaming etc. I'm looking for a character that is primarily melee DPS (my standard of play for ages) with the ability to heal a bit when I'm in my small friend group (a ranger and/or a wizard). Also, I'd like that character to have solid solo ability. I was thinking Paladin, but I'd love other suggestions. Also, I'm considering buying the 32pt build.
    Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!
    Melee, solo ability, and light healing
    32 Point just makes it easier.

Cleric With the enhancement pass you can do all three on a cleric. I wouldn't go pure though if you want to melee. There is a weekend warrior cleric build and an improved Paladin build using Fighter/Cleric on the forums.

Ranger is also a nice option. 18/1/1 Ranger/Rogue/(Fighter or Monk) which is a new player friendly build.

Other options
    Ranger 11/Cleric 9 - Ranger gives you lots of free feats (to make up for the lack of feats Cleric gives you) and Cleric gives you more healing than Ranger provides.
    18 Cleric/2 Fighter - Also a new player friendly build

If you have access to Half Elves and Favored Souls, I have enjoyed that class combination for a melee/healing toon also. Half-Elf (Fighter dilly) and FvS 16 Str/14 Con/12 CHA. You may want to buff up CHA thanks to the enhancement pass, mine was built before so I kept mine lower. PA, Cleave, and G. Cleave as well as OC at 21

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Melee, solo ability, and light healing
    32 Point just makes it easier.

Cleric With the enhancement pass you can do all three on a cleric. I wouldn't go pure though if you want to melee. There is a weekend warrior cleric build and an improved Paladin build using Fighter/Cleric on the forums.
    Do you have a link to that Fighter/Cleric build? I'm thinking of going that route.

Do you have a link to that Fighter/Cleric build? I'm thinking of going that route.
    My search skills stink. Hopefully the person who originally posted the build or someone better at search than me can find for you.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Get-a-Build

You might find this thread useful

Or confusing!!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Community Member

You've got plenty of options really,

Two that give you the most freedom aren't classes but races - Bladeforged and Halflings both have racial abilities in their enhancement trees that heal them. Bladeforged is more spammy I think but they cost some money, while halfling is free. If you pick either race you can have a heal on any class you like.

Your classes with heals are:
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Monk
    Cleric
    Favoured Soul
    Druid
    Sorc*
    Wizard**

* This only applies if you're using the Warforged race as repair spells are arcane and act like heals for Warforged.
    ** Same as above AND if you put a bunch of levels into Palemaster negative energy spells will be able to heal you when you're "in undead form."

Paladin, Ranger, Monk, Sorc and Wizard take more levels to reach meaningful heals so building them with that in mind means fewer other levels for more dps'y classes (although Rangers and Monks are quite strong dps as is).

Cleric/Favoured Soul get better healing faster but generally need to multi-class to get upper-level dps.

I would suggest not going Paladin though. Despite the self-healing and naturally high attack rate they don't have an enhancement tree that truly compares to other classes so they run out of steam quite quickly.

All three melee builds in my signature fit the bill for what you want to do. (The Kensei Warpriest is the "improved paladin" build mentioned upthread.) Here's the basic breakdown when choosing between them:

Tempest Trapmonkey doesn't get self-heals until very late (level 10 for a weak cure light wounds, 12 for cure moderate) but has a viable range option as well as full trapping skills. Also low will saves, mediocre reflex saves for an evasion build, and doesn't even get evasion until level 13.

Evasion Paladin gets self-heals starting at level 5 (cure light wounds) but like the ranger won't get cure moderate until around level 12. Has good saves, and gets evasion at level 8.

Kensei Warpriest gets healing spells starting at level 3, and they scale up almost perfectly with your level. Noticeably better dps than the other two, effective tactics (stunning blow, and even regular trip), but low saves all around and no evasion. On the plus side, since you don't get evasion you can wear heavy armor and feel like a real melee instead of running around in leather armor. heh. Has the best self-buffs of the three by a mile. (Nightshield in particular, plus FOM, DW and prot from evil.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    All three melee builds in my signature fit the bill for what you want to do. (The Kensei Warpriest is the "improved paladin" build mentioned upthread.) Here's the basic breakdown when choosing between them:

Tempest Trapmonkey doesn't get self-heals until very late (level 10 for a weak cure light wounds, 12 for cure moderate) but has a viable range option as well as full trapping skills. Also low will saves, mediocre reflex saves for an evasion build, and doesn't even get evasion until level 13.

Evasion Paladin gets self-heals starting at level 5 (cure light wounds) but like the ranger won't get cure moderate until around level 12. Has good saves, and gets evasion at level 8.

Kensei Warpriest gets healing spells starting at level 3, and they scale up almost perfectly with your level. Noticeably better dps than the other two, effective tactics (stunning blow, and even regular trip), but low saves all around and no evasion. On the plus side, since you don't get evasion you can wear heavy armor and feel like a real melee instead of running around in leather armor. heh. Has the best self-buffs of the three by a mile. (Nightshield in particular, plus FOM, DW and prot from evil.)
    Ellis, I'm so glad you responded because after lots of hunting, yours is the build I'm going with. The only thing I changed was I put 10 in Wisdom and 10 in Int. My rationale is that I want the healing spells earlier so I can help out my buddies when we group. Also, when I take my 1st level as a cleric at lvl 3, will the WArpriest enhancements be made automatically available to me?

Ellis, I'm so glad you responded because after lots of hunting, yours is the build I'm going with. The only thing I changed was I put 10 in Wisdom and 10 in Int. My rationale is that I want the healing spells earlier so I can help out my buddies when we group. Also, when I take my 1st level as a cleric at lvl 3, will the WArpriest enhancements be made automatically available to me?
    Yes, tier 1 at least.

You don't need to start with 10 wisdom to get spellcasting at level 3. You can drink owl's wisdom potions (+4 wisdom) starting at level 2 -- sold by vendors for cheap -- in order to cast spells. They last several minutes each.

Try a Bard =D You'll see people saying they aren't optimal all over Stormreach and it's true but for casual play like you suggested they'll be just your cup of tea.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Try a Bard =D You'll see people saying they aren't optimal all over Stormreach and it's true but for casual play like you suggested they'll be just your cup of tea.
    Hm, right, bards aren't really optimal for any single task except singing, and that's just because they're the only class that can do that.

On the other hand, suitably built multiclass bards can be rather more versatile than almost anything else, but that'll be an "advanced" build by then...
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Look up my "Radiant Titan Revisited" thread. The build works, but as a new player you will need to drop its Strength and increase its Wisdom a little to make up for having less access to tomes and +wisdom items than a veteran would have. (Don't start with under 12 base Wisdom).

The build can soloheal any 6 person content in the game, can soloheal the raids that are usually solohealed and can carry half the healing requirements of the raids that are two-healed.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my main is a WF artie (pure) that self repairs very effectively, with pretty decent DPS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Hm, right, bards aren't really optimal for any single task except singing, and that's just because they're the only class that can do that.

On the other hand, suitably built multiclass bards can be rather more versatile than almost anything else, but that'll be an "advanced" build by then...
    I don't think you have to have an "advanced" build to have a good bard. Just patience and lots of research. And then, ignore it all and do what seems most fun.