Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council

A Ranger Animal Companion would be awesome, not because of combat ability, which would suck, but as a lever-puller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    They get 2 inventory slots, so try to fit on fort, exceptional fort, resist (the saving throw kind), good luck, greater parry. ya know, all the stuff you need at higher levels so you don't get 1 shot. It can't be done.
    So what you are saying is that you have no imagination and can't figure things out for yourself, You do know that you can stack some druid lives and have Augment Summoning and get a +10 or so to you pet/Summons then you can Put Fort on you pet and guess what you are a RANGER you can cast Resist and Protection, then with ship buffs you can also get those as well as another +2 to your stats from a established guild airship then what other things do Rangers get like Barkskin and if Rangers could use the rams might spell on the pet there is another +2 to STR. I think I am liking my chances of making my pet live even past you in an Epic quest cause also as a Ranger I can HEAL myself and my pet. but I bet you thought about all of this already and will have some witty thing to say for this but guess what I DO NOT CARE. it is for people who want to figure it out not for the people that only want to say that it can't be done.

I think that it can sir.....
    Hi! May I have your Soul???

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    A Ranger Animal Companion would be awesome, not because of combat ability, which would suck, but as a lever-puller.
    And I even said I would not care if it was a Ferret that could pick locks or something.

yes.
    yes.
    yes!

1000 times, YES!

Dire Tiger PLEASE! (with choice of colors & striping!)

Mission #1: instruct it: Gobble up the trolls... barf the nasty contents onto Uska's plate.
    ...die laughing.
    instruct Tiger carry soulstone... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    yes.
    yes.
    yes!

1000 times, YES!

Dire Tiger PLEASE! (with choice of colors & striping!)

Mission #1: instruct it: Gobble up the trolls... barf the nasty contents onto Uska's plate.
    ...die laughing.
    instruct Tiger carry soulstone... :/
    I do like the sound of a Dire Tiger, but I would even be happy with a Totem style animal that give you a buff or a list of them that can give different buffs, Like the ED I would have a frog to help with jump or a Fox that helped with search and spot checks but I really like the companion that would be like the druids

Quote Originally Posted by Fecel View Post
    So what you are saying is that you have no imagination and can't figure things out for yourself, You do know that you can stack some druid lives and have Augment Summoning and get a +10 or so to you pet/Summons then you can Put Fort on you pet and guess what you are a RANGER you can cast Resist and Protection, then with ship buffs you can also get those as well as another +2 to your stats from a established guild airship then what other things do Rangers get like Barkskin and if Rangers could use the rams might spell on the pet there is another +2 to STR. I think I am liking my chances of making my pet live even past you in an Epic quest cause also as a Ranger I can HEAL myself and my pet. but I bet you thought about all of this already and will have some witty thing to say for this but guess what I DO NOT CARE. it is for people who want to figure it out not for the people that only want to say that it can't be done.

I think that it can sir.....
    Yup, you buff the heck out of them, then as you're going along they stop responding, the only way to fix them is to unsummon them and resummon them, but that removes all the buffs including the ship buffs. This is a well known bug.

And that's not the main problem. Try to gear your character out with just 2 inventory slots and the limitation of leather armor. There just isn't enough room to fit everything. And if you don't have 160%+ fort in epics you will get critically hit. With 3 druid past lives and augment summon they still are only going to have saves in the 30s, that means they will fail their save 95% of the time in epic.

And btw, rams might is self only, so you can't cast it on summons.
    And barkskin, seriously?

Thumbs up

Yup, you buff the heck out of them, then as you're going along they stop responding, the only way to fix them is to unsummon them and resummon them, but that removes all the buffs including the ship buffs. This is a well known bug.

And that's not the main problem. Try to gear your character out with just 2 inventory slots and the limitation of leather armor. There just isn't enough room to fit everything. And if you don't have 160%+ fort in epics you will get critically hit. With 3 druid past lives and augment summon they still are only going to have saves in the 30s, that means they will fail their save 95% of the time in epic.

And btw, rams might is self only, so you can't cast it on summons.
    And barkskin, seriously?

Again I said something witty and here it is. but really Barkskin depending on the level is helpful since it is a + to AC and +1 of anything is helpful as well as +5 or +6 now like I said in my post if you would have read it was Rams Might would be cool if you COULD cast it on self as well as you companion. and My main toons only wear Leather if you do not know how to use it I am sorry and if you do not know about Dodge this helps avoid things and yes sometime we get hit and we Die but of course you know nothing of such things since you do not die and play this game with always being perfect and on top of all others. I am so happy for you that you do not have to worry about death and fort and well anything since it will never happen to you. so I guess the Druid's or Ranger's (Hopefully) Pets will just have to be a sub par thing but maybe just maybe we will group one day and I will get to see this awesomely perfectness myself, I can only dream right??? and I do love the barkskin spell and in Epics when People are asking for it since it is a + to something I give it to them knowing that it won't help them at all.

i would like to have the option at level 4 to pick an animal companion from a list. for DDO i would like the options be badger, dire rat, dog, eagle, hawk, owl, viper snake or wolf. druids have wolf so maybe a different kind. if not a choice than i would really push for a eagle, hawk or owl as the sole companion. it could cause problems though since they would only be able to fly at low range.

as far as epics, if ranger companions could be on the same level as artificer dogs and druid wolves, than it wont matter if they can survive or not. the dogs and wolves die easily in heroics. it would be foolish to think that ranger companions would not be glitchy, but i wouldn't care. people still bring out their dogs and wolves regardless of the glitch. i still would do 3 druid past lives and take augment summoning.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Again I said something witty and here it is. but really Barkskin depending on the level is helpful since it is a + to AC and +1 of anything is helpful as well as +5 or +6 now like I said in my post if you would have read it was Rams Might would be cool if you COULD cast it on self as well as you companion. and My main toons only wear Leather if you do not know how to use it I am sorry and if you do not know about Dodge this helps avoid things and yes sometime we get hit and we Die but of course you know nothing of such things since you do not die and play this game with always being perfect and on top of all others. I am so happy for you that you do not have to worry about death and fort and well anything since it will never happen to you. so I guess the Druid's or Ranger's (Hopefully) Pets will just have to be a sub par thing but maybe just maybe we will group one day and I will get to see this awesomely perfectness myself, I can only dream right??? and I do love the barkskin spell and in Epics when People are asking for it since it is a + to something I give it to them knowing that it won't help them at all.
    You keep side stepping all of my points. I guess you have nothing to refute them.

Ok, you want to talk about dodge. A ranger can boost his dodge in leather armor because he can spend feats on dodge, mobility, spring attack etc, and enhancements points on improved dodge and elaborate parry, or even splash monk and drop the armor and get to about 28% dodge. Guess what a wolf gets to boost his dodge? Nothing, no feats, no enhancements.

50 ac, 0 dodge, I supose you can use a blur wand on him, but no displacement unless you're an elf, no ghostly items either since he cant wear mabar robe, or whisper chain, or ghost waking cloak, or threads of fallen shadows, or the ring of shadows. Maybe 13 prr, and maybe 100% fort. That's just not very good when mobs hit for 300 damage a swing.

But yeah, you can HEAL him, or cure serious him for 200 points because he has no heal amp enhancements either.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    i would like to have the option at level 4 to pick an animal companion from a list. for DDO i would like the options be badger, dire rat, dog, eagle, hawk, owl, viper snake or wolf. druids have wolf so maybe a different kind. if not a choice than i would really push for a eagle, hawk or owl as the sole companion. it could cause problems though since they would only be able to fly at low range.

as far as epics, if ranger companions could be on the same level as artificer dogs and druid wolves, than it wont matter if they can survive or not. the dogs and wolves die easily in heroics. it would be foolish to think that ranger companions would not be glitchy, but i wouldn't care. people still bring out their dogs and wolves regardless of the glitch. i still would do 3 druid past lives and take augment summoning.
    Thank you sir for bringing useful information to the table. and I would love for it to be a list and maybe make it a shared list between the Ranger and Druid and instead of something that can fly then maybe a war hound or even any other animal a bear would work and if you wanted to do something about epics make something where once you obtain epic levels they can become Dire "insert animal here". and give the Arti something like a spec package for the defender. But I do not even care about that like it was said I would bring them out and just do the best I could to keep them alive.

I just would like to know if someone that works at turbine see's this or not there are a lot of post on the formus and I want this one seen...???

...I just would like to know if someone that works at turbine see's this...
    edit title to add: I would PAY for this...

guarantee will get *someones attention.

and btw? i WOULD pay for this addition to Free Ranger...
    (so long, yanno... Dire Tiger... Hawk... something nice... besides a cr4 spell) :/

Community Member

Short answer. Search the DDO store for the classes Druid and Ranger and see which one you find there.

Rangers don't get pets to get pet lovers to buy the Druid class, plain and simple.

You keep side stepping all of my points. I guess you have nothing to refute them.

Ok, you want to talk about dodge. A ranger can boost his dodge in leather armor because he can spend feats on dodge, mobility, spring attack etc, and enhancements points on improved dodge and elaborate parry, or even splash monk and drop the armor and get to about 28% dodge. Guess what a wolf gets to boost his dodge? Nothing, no feats, no enhancements.

50 ac, 0 dodge, I supose you can use a blur wand on him, but no displacement unless you're an elf, no ghostly items either since he cant wear mabar robe, or whisper chain, or ghost waking cloak, or threads of fallen shadows, or the ring of shadows. Maybe 13 prr, and maybe 100% fort. That's just not very good when mobs hit for 300 damage a swing.

But yeah, you can HEAL him, or cure serious him for 200 points because he has no heal amp enhancements either.
    OK lets talk about what you are saying, First you do not even know what Feats the Ranger's animal companion gets as it levels with him, I do not know myself. I will have to see if there are any, I will check on that. I never said first of all that my RANGER pet would be a god like you are. no not that at all I enjoy finding things that test me in such ways to where I have to adapt. Who knows how much Dodge an animal who's Reflexes would be greater than most peoples would be and if this animal levels with the Ranger it's AC should be better than that of a normal animal since it trains with his "master" (I like to say friend myself) and I do play my main as a Elf Ranger really i like elf with Scimitars, I even have an Elf Barb with Falchions. just a fun build for me and a group of friends.

And Yes they ONLY have two spots. but who is to say that they would not make Epic gear for you pet that would work with only two slots. these are for Turbine to think about and I am just hoping they will. who is to say again as the companion levels he will not get a healing amp that grows with him

Or give them a Enhancement line that will help effect this and a animal trainer that all people and classes can use to "Level" the animal.

Well if my CURE SERIOUS does 200HP and my pet only has 300-400HP then that is not so bad for him as well like the little hafling maybe the pet wopuld be short enough that he would get some benifits that way, again I am not Turbine and I only wish they would put this out there for US to put in our info for it that they could decide what would be best.

And where do you think the feats that are in these books come from I think an animal would have Dodge,Mobility,Spring Attack ect. as they grow up in the wild places of these realms.

You speak of me answering Question that there are no answer to since this has not YET come to pass. I leave you with that this is Turbine's choice.

I hope this helps you understand what I am saying. I do not want them to make this pet straight from the books since that would not fit into this game world. that is why they have changed things as they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Short answer. Search the DDO store for the classes Druid and Ranger and see which one you find there.

Rangers don't get pets to get pet lovers to buy the Druid class, plain and simple.
    then make them as a class with pets to be in the store or a favor unlock and grandfather in the rest and if you want to TR into it again then you have to get the favor or pay the TP. I know I would gladly pay the TP for it or grind out the favor for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kawai View Post
    edit title to add: I would pay for this...

Guarantee will get *someones attention.

and btw? I would pay for this addition to free ranger...
    (so long, yanno... Dire tiger... Hawk... Something nice... Besides a cr4 spell) :/
    agreed....

Talking

I would just like to say thank you to all who are giving their opinions even if they are not the same as mine the more information we get on here the more information we give to turbine who after all has the final say so in these matters. I just want them to see all the different opinions out there, and yes i would pay for this!!!!

So again thank you to all.
    Last edited by Fecel; 12-21-2013 at 07:03 PM.

OK lets talk about what you are saying, First you do not even know what Feats the Ranger's animal companion gets as it levels with him, I do not know myself. I will have to see if there are any, I will check on that. I never said first of all that my RANGER pet would be a god like you are. no not that at all I enjoy finding things that test me in such ways to where I have to adapt. Who knows how much Dodge an animal who's Reflexes would be greater than most peoples would be and if this animal levels with the Ranger it's AC should be better than that of a normal animal since it trains with his "master" (I like to say friend myself) and I do play my main as a Elf Ranger really i like elf with Scimitars, I even have an Elf Barb with Falchions. just a fun build for me and a group of friends.

And Yes they ONLY have two spots. but who is to say that they would not make Epic gear for you pet that would work with only two slots. these are for Turbine to think about and I am just hoping they will. who is to say again as the companion levels he will not get a healing amp that grows with him

Or give them a Enhancement line that will help effect this and a animal trainer that all people and classes can use to "Level" the animal.

Well if my CURE SERIOUS does 200HP and my pet only has 300-400HP then that is not so bad for him as well like the little hafling maybe the pet wopuld be short enough that he would get some benifits that way, again I am not Turbine and I only wish they would put this out there for US to put in our info for it that they could decide what would be best.

And where do you think the feats that are in these books come from I think an animal would have Dodge,Mobility,Spring Attack ect. as they grow up in the wild places of these realms.

You speak of me answering Question that there are no answer to since this has not YET come to pass. I leave you with that this is Turbine's choice.

I hope this helps you understand what I am saying. I do not want them to make this pet straight from the books since that would not fit into this game world. that is why they have changed things as they have.
    The first thing you said was, Why can't my RANGER have a pet like the DRUID. Like the druid, I'm telling you the main problems with the druid one in response to this.
    I do not know about you but I like my druid pets in quests so far but have yet to bring them up to 20 yet but hey my highest is at 12 now and still my wolf buddy still slays them and I also buff him on the ship before we go into quests and that also helps a bit.
    At level 20, they don't have enough gear slots to fit everything. 50 ac is great at lvel 12, its good at level 16, but if that's all you have at level 28 its not going to be fun.

IF the ranger one has enhancements that cover all the gear slots you would need, and they for some reason allow ranger pets to have selectable feats when druid pets and arti pets and pale master pets do not get feats, then yeah, they might be not so bad. And if they let them wear rings, helmets, gloves, bracers, boots and necklaces (unlike druid and arti and pale master pets) then they might even be usable.

I'm not opposed to them giving rangers pets, or even a beast master pre that gets to use 10 pets at once . But if they are as bad as the ones that are in the game now, they're just going to pull levers.

The first thing you said was, Why can't my RANGER have a pet like the DRUID. Like the druid, I'm telling you the main problems with the druid one in response to this.

At level 20, they don't have enough gear slots to fit everything. 50 ac is great at lvel 12, its good at level 16, but if that's all you have at level 28 its not going to be fun.

IF the ranger one has enhancements that cover all the gear slots you would need, and they for some reason allow ranger pets to have selectable feats when druid pets and arti pets and pale master pets do not get feats, then yeah, they might be not so bad. And if they let them wear rings, helmets, gloves, bracers, boots and necklaces (unlike druid and arti and pale master pets) then they might even be usable.

I'm not opposed to them giving rangers pets, or even a beast master pre that gets to use 10 pets at once . But if they are as bad as the ones that are in the game now, they're just going to pull levers.

If you would have even read these posts then you would of seen most if not all of this covered in some way. I would like to see the Druid as well as the Arti pets redone if you will. and I would not even care if they were lever pullers. but with the level caps going up so should the pets caps go up if they grow with you. if they were ever to do a BEASTMASTER I would want it to be a class of it's own and have to be paid for but this would cause to many lag issues I think. a raid of all beastmasters would go nowhere I think just from to many people on screen at one time. also the feats do not even have to be picked by me, make them passive and come out with the leveling of the Toon instead of being picked by me or whomever. with the enhancements I am not talking three tiers and 80 points worth of them just something to give a pet their own abilities and job with their respective Ranger/Druid/Arti/whoever else. maybe like how every race has a enhancement line make each animal have one that can be manipulated at some sort of animal trainer. I do not know why you are so stuck on gear these are animals and do not need full gear slots they do not need nor do I want them decked out if full plate gear not at all what I am going for here. and yes these pets would be FUN for me at any level even if they are gimped.

ok so unrelated but anyone know why this posts envelope turned red? Is it at so many views or something else???

ok so unrelated but anyone know why this posts envelope turned red? Is it at so many views or something else???
    theres an icon legend at the bottom of the page

it means its a hot topic
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast