Community Member

Default How to fund bug fixes

1. Sell new dances in the stores. Cool fad type dances. You could probably use monster dances already programmed
    2.Sell shield cosmos. The meaner and nastier the better.
    3. Give pets bonuses for owners. Nuff said.
    4.Emotes emotes emotes. Ever wanted your toon to kick another player in the rear? I know I have. Or a threaten to break in half or squish emote? I love coming into thrakash arena and cheering and flexing and taunting crowd. Prob just me.
    5.I know u do this (sorry getting tired of typing words my apologies) already but meanicing weapons and sexy armor cosmos.
    6.Weapon cosmos (see the cool cosmo thing u doin?) hey what weapon u got ? nunya

My drinks getting low add if u like or bash if u plz IDC.

And this is to fund the bug fixes aside from norm content.

But what will fund this?

(Seriously though, I'm all for it. This kind of thing is what should be the major focus of the DDO Store.)

They have the money to fix the bugs, but they think its better/cheaper to patch it up and make new packs so people spend more money.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Illethian View Post
    1. Sell new dances in the stores. Cool fad type dances. You could probably use monster dances already programmed
    4.Emotes emotes emotes. Ever wanted your toon to kick another player in the rear? I know I have. Or a threaten to break in half or squish emote? I love coming into thrakash arena and cheering and flexing and taunting crowd. Prob just me.
    5.I know u do this (sorry getting tired of typing words my apologies) already but meanicing weapons and sexy armor cosmos.
    6.Weapon cosmos (see the cool cosmo thing u doin?) hey what weapon u got ? nunya

Not sure who'd buy dances. And pet bonuses seems like a bad idea if it requires your pet be out since many people find them annoying. Revealing armor kits would probably be a huge hit with many of the guys here who play female toons but it would also offend some. I'm not a fan of weapon cosmetics, you should be able to see what weapons your party members are using IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    They have the money to fix the bugs, but they think its better/cheaper to patch it up and make new packs so people spend more money.
    they have more than enough money... so either they lack the will or the talent.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Its a self perpetuating relationship. Fixing bugs and building more content increase the quality of the game, which retains more players, for longer periods of time. Bug fixes dont have a positive amount on a spreadsheet when calculating P&L so it seems like a one sided loss, but this is not true and is only taken seriously by those who have fallen into the trap of only paying attention to the things that make money by directly being purchased.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

It takes resources, time, and testing to add all that. However it would generate a lot of income if it was there and really cheap.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

... Nuff said.
    Almost enough. You forgot an e.

Founder

Unfortunately, if they did introduce a new way to make money that wouldn't change the ratio of new content / bug fixes. They have already added new items to the store many times: armor skins, pets, shards, new pets, new cosmetic armor, new potions, skill tomes, etc. Dispite these there has been no "bug pass" so there is no reason to think that there will be one in the future. It would be great if it could be a zero-sum game: every time they add new content they introduce new bugs, but between new content they fix all of those bugs. But as Chai said, bug-fixing doesn't show as a "positive" on the books so it is seen as less important than new content.

Community Member

1. No one would buy this, or at least, not enough to matter. No.
    2. No, and likewise with weapons.
    3. NO. Cosmetic pets have been and are meant to be cosmetic things that don't give bonuses. This is an awful idea.
    4. Waste of time. This would take longer than just a new cosmetic "item" and like with the dances, very few would buy them.
    5...and 6.... why did you make weapon cosmetics twice? Anyhow, no, and to the sexy ****, seriously? Get a life.

TL;DR - These ideas suck.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    they have more than enough money... so either they lack the will or the talent.
    100% my vote

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Not sure who'd buy dances.
    Well, guesstimating how much people would pay, to say, have their human females dance without having a seizure, have their halflings do the rugby match intimidation dance, watch break dancing horcs, dwarves do the robot, hell, have different races synchronize dance... and comparing with how much it should take to copy an already existing dance and apply it to another character would be well worth the profits.
    If you say I'd look awful and bugged half the time and zomg, how much dev effort would need to blahblah, I don't care. Can't be much worse than some of the existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Revealing armor kits w[...]
    Even going with "sex sells" there's more ways than revealing to go about sexy; the available armor kits are single minded about it enough.

The ideas are good, that's how F2P model is done...
    [doom]
    ... though, I have to disagree on general principle, because I just don't see them devoting the income to fixing the game. If they tried, I fully expect them to get it right for a month or two, and then go totally overboard in the attempt to milk people more*, and ruin it completely.

*Because if micro transactions bring a lot of profit, just imagine how much profit you can get with MACRO transactions, right?
    [/doom]

1. Id definitely buy dances. If there were some cool ones and were not like 600 tp each. But lets say 300 TP 1 dance - I could buy at least 3 I like
    2. Also - new haircuts.... Id love to see my character with Lolth priestess-like haircut. We dont have many that look THAT good.
    3. And yeah... pets. Im sure more ppl would buy pets if these were giving some nice bonuses. Not sth OP. But lets say:
    Every 1 pet (even if this is 3x rat in different color) gives you 2hp and 2sp (if u already own sp bar from item or feat)
    Every 5 pets (here we would count it species like, so 3 rats is still counting as 1 species so 1 pet) will give you 3PRR.
    And every 7 pets (counting species - like above) will give you 1% dodge, +1 to all saves..
    Also every pet should have their small individual bonus for being summoned. E.g. Pseudodragon +1 stacking bonus to any stat of your choosing. Frog - +10 to jump. Kobold +1 to spell penetration, bear- 5% heal ampm owlbear - additional 10 prr Etc.
    Id wouldnt be rlly OP cause person having most of animals would have like 9-12PRR, 2% dodge and +2 to all saves, and some bonus 30 hp/sp. So not THAT big considring you can also buy pets on AH.

I know some will say - oh yeah pay to win bla bla bla. But Otto Boxes and buying hearts and raid timers is way more pay to win - and way more costy. Pets are not expensive and may be won in roll and some may be awarded for favor and bought from AH/ASAH.

Id love to see those things even if this was not to correct bugs. Especially first 2 cause I know many ppl will rebel agianst 3rd point. First 2 dont rlly make difference for those who do not want it.

You ppl say very few would buy cosmetic things. Well Im suprised cause I love cosmetics and a lot of my female friends playing game loves them too. And would buy them - or get them in present from friends theyre playing with. Also - my male friends all run around is cosmetic armors. And sometimes also in hairs. Every one of them has at least 4-6 cosmetic pets. And there mostly on.
    Last edited by Kayla93; 12-21-2013 at 04:10 AM.

But if they don't fix the bugs and I'm swearing every couple of days because of some bug getting in my way... I'm not going to want to spend moneyz.

No matter how much I want new hair styles and cosmetic armors... I want both realistic ones and sexy ones, I want options!
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

WTB permanent hairstyle (can be using helmet cosmetic slot).

Here's my $10.

Make it happen turbines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    They have the money to fix the bugs, but they think its better to make bugged complex mechanisms to force players to avoid using the bugs instead of fixing them and make new packs so people spend more money.
    FIFY.

After all Burden of Guilt was just created because the Loot was Ghostbaned and you could wear loot that you weren't entitled to wear... But even the bug fixes from Burden of Guilt are bugged.
    They could have reactivated the good old on login check if character meet requirement for equipped items script, but no no it was too easy.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

At the very least they should fix the bug where you lose connection on the first login. The guy who made the DDO preloader can do it, so Turbine should be able to do that as well (hopefully...). I think they've given up on the zoning crash bug and the memory leak issue altogether by now. They have spent some time on trying to fix the zoning crash, but were unable to find the bug. A rehaul of the memory allocation mechanic should solve all of these issues, but I cannot oversee how time-consuming such a rehaul would be.

To be honest, I haven't encountered any other bugs that make the game unplayable. Stuff like the ladder bug is easily avoided by jumping onto ladders properly. What else is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    At the very least they should fix the bug where you lose connection on the first login. The guy who made the DDO preloader can do it, so Turbine should be able to do that as well (hopefully...). I think they've given up on the zoning crash bug and the memory leak issue altogether by now. They have spent some time on trying to fix the zoning crash, but were unable to find the bug. A rehaul of the memory allocation mechanic should solve all of these issues, but I cannot oversee how time-consuming such a rehaul would be.

To be honest, I haven't encountered any other bugs that make the game unplayable. Stuff like the ladder bug is easily avoided by jumping onto ladders properly. What else is there?
    LOL, rubber banding? I was laughing my arse off the other day as I made the mistake of going with a hire in GH (cheap deathward oy) and he kept deciding to teleport as I was trying to jump between rocks using wings. I kept rubber banding and falling hahaha.

The game becomes a nightmare if I change around characters too much. Sometimes I freeze in quests, etc.
    Thankfully I haven't been running raids, I remember before I decided to take a big break every other raid was a nightmare of fail fail fail due to the lag on Orien. Abbot was particularly delicious awesomeness back then with invisible asteroids and stuff not showing up or working (all three puzzles had their periods of not working). Falling through a clearly visible island was epic though, boom 10 soul stones haha.

Jumping onto ladders... man, you're all precious. And here I thought people just climb onto ladders, next time I'll jump on it... will see how fast that gets me into the ER.

Fix bugs and less "work-arounds" that the community comes up with.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)